Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Could Nick's contract make his trade value huge?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
eagle60
If I'm reading this right it looks like if Nick is traded before the 2019 season the new team gets him until after the 2021 season for $5.5 million per year. I would think that teams would be salivating for that contract! Take a look at it and read the 3 disclaimers on the bottom. Maybe I'm missing something?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelp...ck-foles-9898/
xsv
QUOTE (eagle60 @ Feb 10 2018, 07:03 PM) *
If I'm reading this right it looks like if Nick is traded before the 2019 season the new team gets him until after the 2021 season for $5.5 million per year. I would think that teams would be salivating for that contract! Take a look at it and read the 3 disclaimers on the bottom. Maybe I'm missing something?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelp...ck-foles-9898/

Your link sucks but think hes only under contract thru the 18 season, even if hes traded.

Still, he will garner pleanty of attention. I’d take a first and second, nothing less. And I’ll root for him for life if traded.
eagle60
QUOTE (xsv @ Feb 10 2018, 08:35 PM) *
Your link sucks but think hes only under contract thru the 18 season, even if hes traded.

Still, he will garner pleanty of attention. I’d take a first and second, nothing less. And I’ll root for him for life if traded.

Try this one and see what we can figure out but I'm sure that you're right. It sounds too good to be true:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-ea...ick-foles-9898/
Joegrane
This should explain Foles' strange contract.
https://overthecap.com/player/nick-foles/773/

Nick Foles signed a two year, $11 million contract with the Eagles on March 16, 2017. Foles received $7 million in guarantees, including a $3 million signing bonus. For salary cap purposes the Eagles added three voidable contract years to prorate the money. The 2019, 2020, and 2021 years will automatically void if an extension is not reached. Another $6 million in incentives are available.

So Howie added 3 more voidable years to the deal with $0 salary so he could spread out the cap hit! He was accepting future dead $ in order to fit more players under the cap in 2017 and 2018.

I wonder if that future dead $ cap hit gets transferred to a team that receives Nick in a trade. If I recall correctly, the Eagles still had $5mil in dead $ the year after Bradford was traded.

If the dead $ gets traded, the Eagles will have to pay for that in reduced compensation--lower draft pick, etc.

Sorry, I'm actually more interested in all of this geeky GM stuff than I am interested in parades and TV appearances.

QUOTE (xsv @ Feb 10 2018, 08:35 PM) *

eagle60
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Feb 10 2018, 08:51 PM) *
This should explain Foles' strange contract.
https://overthecap.com/player/nick-foles/773/

Nick Foles signed a two year, $11 million contract with the Eagles on March 16, 2017. Foles received $7 million in guarantees, including a $3 million signing bonus. For salary cap purposes the Eagles added three voidable contract years to prorate the money. The 2019, 2020, and 2021 years will automatically void if an extension is not reached. Another $6 million in incentives are available.

So Howie added 3 more voidable years to the deal with $0 salary so he could spread out the cap hit! He was accepting future dead $ in order to fit more players under the cap in 2017 and 2018.

I wonder if that future dead $ cap hit gets transferred to a team that receives Nick in a trade. If I recall correctly, the Eagles still had $5mil in dead $ the year after Bradford was traded.

If the dead $ gets traded, the Eagles will have to pay for that in reduced compensation--lower draft pick, etc.

Sorry, I'm actually more interested in all of this geeky GM stuff than I am interested in parades and TV appearances.

I still don't know what letting go of Daniels did to the cap. Any idea? Maybe we don't even have to worry about a cap because we just keep kicking the can down the road anyway.
make_it_rain
Zero chance someone gives up a first AND second for Foles. I'd be pretty happy to get a decent 2 for him, but outside of something like that (or better), I say just keep him. He's most likely worth more to the Eagles than what someone would be willing to offer for him.
Joegrane
Wow, I forgot about Daniels! He left hoping to get more PT, no? He would have been our QB!

When they signed Foles they were able to design the cap hits consistent with their needs. When you have a guy signed long-term, you'd have to renegotiate the contract. The Eagles now have so many players signed and presumably won't be doing many contracts. It will be interesting to see if there are some renegotiated contracts to help with the cap.

QUOTE (eagle60 @ Feb 10 2018, 08:57 PM) *
I still don't know what letting go of Daniels did to the cap. Any idea? Maybe we don't even have to worry about a cap because we just keep kicking the can down the road anyway.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.