Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mikeynumbers Parade Attendance Estimate
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
+\- 10%.

Based on being there, based on watching the parade replay and looking at sidewalk depth of the crowd on sidewalk and density.

There are four areas of the 5+ mile route. For each area, I list the number of ft of fans on each side of the street, x by 2, the feet per mile, the distance in miles for that area, the square feet of fans, the sq ft needed per person, the est # people for that area.

Broad st....15x2=30x 5280x 4.0 mi = 633,600 sq ft/ 2.0 SF each = 317,000 people
City Hall....20x2=40x 5280x O.6mi = 126,720 sq ft/2.0 SF each = 64,000 people
Mid Pkway..25x 2=50 x5280x 0.4 mi= 105,600 SF/2.0 SF each = 53,000 people
Art museum 528x528 x 4 blocks = 1,115,130 SF/2.0 SF each = 558,000
Total Estimate......................................................................997,000

nephillymike
Just to clarify something here.

People are pissed about the estimate of 700,000 that was given by some British company.

The problem is, is the base for these things is way off.

This parade was HUGE. It was at least twice the amount of people as the Phillies' parade. I was at both. got to the Phils an hour before and was three away from the front on market St. I got to this one three hours before and I was twenty away from the front. They had no Parkway presence and that was where the huge numbers are. Sure they packed 45,000 in CBP, but there was no comparison. And that's OK.

All of these estimates you hear about other parades, 5 million in CHI etc are all bullshit as was the Phil's parade.

Eskin was saying over 3 million for this and was pissed.

It's OK Howard, it was about a million, and my strong guess, is it was probably top three sports parades of all-time in any American sports parade. Maybe the Cubs, maybe the first Sox win.

And that's fine by me.

Because at the end of the day, we had a great time and one more thing

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, MY FRIEND!!!

One
No one likes us, we don't care! laugh.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (One @ Feb 10 2018, 12:17 PM) *
No one likes us, we don't care! laugh.gif

It's got a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

With this city's personality, I can see it becoming a thing.
The Franchise
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 10 2018, 01:42 AM) *
+\- 10%.

Based on being there, based on watching the parade replay and looking at sidewalk depth of the crowd on sidewalk and density.

laugh.gif

I'm just picturing one of your ancestors telling Leonidas the Persians had 2 million men.
nephillymike
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 10 2018, 02:35 PM) *
laugh.gif

I'm just picturing one of your ancestors telling Leonidas the Persians had 2 million men.

I think the masses would have told him that they had a million men and I would have set them straight and told them they only had 150,000, but that was OK because his 7,000 could whip the 150,000 Persians!!
Rick
Watched the NFL Network coverage. Some of the people with the NFL Network who were there said they've been to a LOT of these parades and this was the biggest one they'd been at. They didn't estimate a number but absolutely said there were more people than any they'd been to. Now, I'm guessing we're just talking football since they're football reporters but still...

All I know is it looked amazing on TV and I'm still disappointed I was unable to make it for the parade.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.