Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm not so worried about losing our QB coach
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
Wentz has developed his playing ability so much that I think he has learned about as much as he could from Flip.

Sure, he has room to improve, but the kind of guy Wentz is he will push himself to get better on his own.

Joegrane
I mostly agree; however, we all can fall back into bad habits. Having someone who can identify them and help with corrections is valuable. How much of that has been done by Flip and how much has been from Pedey and Reich, I have no idea.

I am now concerned that Reich could also go to Indy where he previously was QB coach under Dungy and where his conservative Christian outlook would fit.

QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Feb 9 2018, 07:33 PM) *
Wentz has developed his playing ability so much that I think he has learned about as much as he could from Flip.

Sure, he has room to improve, but the kind of guy Wentz is he will push himself to get better on his own.

nephillymike
Ok with Flip going.

Really would like Frank to stay.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 9 2018, 09:16 PM) *
Ok with Flip going.

If Frank left and Duce became OC?
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 10 2018, 11:16 AM) *
Ok with Flip going.

Maybe I'm dumb, but I kinda feel the opposite of this.

But whatever, In Doug I trust. And I truly mean that when I type it.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Feb 9 2018, 09:47 PM) *

No, I'd prefer we keep Frank.
Pbfan
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Feb 9 2018, 09:47 PM) *

I heard the Giants are interested in Duce...
Rick
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Feb 9 2018, 10:38 PM) *
I heard the Giants are interested in Duce...

For OC?
eagle60
QUOTE (Rick @ Feb 10 2018, 05:30 PM) *
For OC?

I heard the same that Schermur might want Duce. Here's what Tommy Lawler had to say about it today:

What does this mean for the Eagles?
They need a new QBs coach. Press Taylor had the title of Offensive Quality Control/Assistant QBs Coach this past season so he is an obvious candidate. Here is PE.com’s bio on Taylor, who has been with the Eagles since 2013.
If the Eagles want a more experienced person for the job, they could move WRs coach Mike Groh over to work with the QBs. Groh wants to be more than just a WRs coach, even though that is something he excels at. He was an offensive coordinator and QBs coach at the University of Virginia and wants to get back to one of those roles at the NFL level. Here is his bio.
The Eagles could always move Groh to QBs and Taylor to WRs, giving both young coaches a promotion. Part of the challenge is rewarding your own coaches to keep them happy, while also making sure you are hiring the best candidates. The Eagles could look at outside possibilities. I tend to think they’ll focus on internal candidates for this position.
Losing Flip would hurt a lot more if the Eagles didn’t have Doug Pederson as the head coach. Pederson has a strong relationship with his QB. Flip certainly did a great job with the Eagles QBs this year and replacing him won’t be easy, but this won’t be a crushing change like when Ray Rhodes lost Jon Gruden after the 1997 season. The Eagles offense fell apart. Carson Wentz has established himself as a top QB and Nick Foles has been a Pro Bowl MVP and Super Bowl MVP so I think he’s in good shape.
Flip did spend more time with the QBs than any other coach. He knew what to say to them and what not to say. Finding the right coach who can push the same buttons isn’t as easy as hiring the guy with the best resume. Flip also did a lot of work on the Red Zone offense, which was 2nd in the NFL. That will take someone with a good feel for X’s and O’s.
eagle60
QUOTE (eagle60 @ Feb 10 2018, 05:46 PM) *
I heard the same that Schermur might want Duce. Here's what Tommy Lawler had to say about it today:

What does this mean for the Eagles?
They need a new QBs coach. Press Taylor had the title of Offensive Quality Control/Assistant QBs Coach this past season so he is an obvious candidate. Here is PE.com’s bio on Taylor, who has been with the Eagles since 2013.
If the Eagles want a more experienced person for the job, they could move WRs coach Mike Groh over to work with the QBs. Groh wants to be more than just a WRs coach, even though that is something he excels at. He was an offensive coordinator and QBs coach at the University of Virginia and wants to get back to one of those roles at the NFL level. Here is his bio.
The Eagles could always move Groh to QBs and Taylor to WRs, giving both young coaches a promotion. Part of the challenge is rewarding your own coaches to keep them happy, while also making sure you are hiring the best candidates. The Eagles could look at outside possibilities. I tend to think they’ll focus on internal candidates for this position.
Losing Flip would hurt a lot more if the Eagles didn’t have Doug Pederson as the head coach. Pederson has a strong relationship with his QB. Flip certainly did a great job with the Eagles QBs this year and replacing him won’t be easy, but this won’t be a crushing change like when Ray Rhodes lost Jon Gruden after the 1997 season. The Eagles offense fell apart. Carson Wentz has established himself as a top QB and Nick Foles has been a Pro Bowl MVP and Super Bowl MVP so I think he’s in good shape.
Flip did spend more time with the QBs than any other coach. He knew what to say to them and what not to say. Finding the right coach who can push the same buttons isn’t as easy as hiring the guy with the best resume. Flip also did a lot of work on the Red Zone offense, which was 2nd in the NFL. That will take someone with a good feel for X’s and O’s.

Here's what worries me about losing Reich and Flip: Doug really trusted them and gave them a ton of responsibilities making the game plan from what I understand. I think one of them was in charge of the red zone and the other the goal line. These were older guys (Reich's experience was of course invaluable being basically a second starter in Buffalo) and Flip was top notch. These two will undoubtedly be replaced by guys working their way up and everytime this happens Doug will hang onto more of those responsibilities himself until/if he develops that trust. How that shakes out is anybody's guess.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.