Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Still not sure it’s real..
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
D Rock
I was fortunate enough to have the day off today, the wife running errands, and the wee folk at school. I spent the day gorging on any and all post game media I could get my hands on.

What nobody seems to be talking about, is the MONUMENTAL Testicular Fortitude exhibited by one Douglas Pederson for that Philly Special call.

I still can’t believe the fucking balls on this guy...

You’re up. In the Super Bowl. Your previous 3 “short-red-zone” plays looked awful. You can take the chip-shot 3, and go to the locker room up that much more. BUT. You know Brady gets the ball to start the 2nd half.

Seriously!!!

If that play doesn’t work, they’d be dragging his lifeless body down broad street right now.

And Doug didn’t have a single fuck to give.

That was EASILY, THE MOST BADASS play call I’ve EVER seen. WHO DOES THAT?!?!?

Other points of interest to me...

Neither defense showed up. It was shockingly bad, on both sides. I expected their D to have a poor showing. But ours? They made ONE play. It was HUGE. We have a LOMBARDI!!!! (But damn, that defensive “performance” took 3 years off my life).

Gronk played affraid in the first half. That concussion must have been a doozie.

Big V’s growth through the last quarter of the season, and the playoffs is a big part of this.

Refs were good overall, but that defensive holding call on Mills in the 1st quarter was horrible. It extended a scoring drive that should have ended there. The Ertz TD was clear-cut the right call. The Clement TD was more cloudy, but hey... it (FINALLY) went our way.

The game Nick put together was nothing short of Hollywood. Simply Magic.

He seems perfectly content to return to his backup role moving forward, but you have to assume QB hungry teams are going to come calling. I tend to think we need to keep him. There’s no gaurantee Carson will be ready week 1. No guarantee he’ll play 16 even if he does. Top backups are hard to find (and keep) because if they’re that good, they wanna start. Foles’ seeming willingness to remain in that role is rare. But, with all that said, there has to be a price point at which you’d simply HAVE to consider moving him. So, what is that price point in your opinion? For me, it’s a 1st round pick with some add-on (player or additional pick).

Congrats Wingheads, and Iggle Phans EVERYWHERE!!!

The case ain’t empty anymore. WHAT A RIDE!!!
rumply
Yes that gutsy call & also the last quarter 4th down call, not that there was much choice but still the right call was made & executed, don't convert there & the game was all but over imo.
nephillymike
Good stuff D.

Great to hear from you.

I'm so used to our aggressiveness that I don't get fazed much by it.

The one that I paused for a second was the 4th down from our own 45 in the 4th qtr. I thought about it for a second and said go for it. What made it easier was that we didn't stop them all day and that it was Brady.

Big balls indeed.

I thought it be high scoring. We had this pool at work and I predicted 31-27 Birds.

Didn't think we'd be in 1,100 yards or 74 points territory!

I thought they'd do a bunch of two step drops but not take all those shots in R the 15-20 yard range.

What an epic battle.
Rick
I agree. I'd cleared my schedule yesterday as well. Listened to Philly sports radio all morning. Watched some ESPN and NFL Network. Watched a ton of videos on You Tube and cleaned up the house from the party. Still sinking in.

I shed a tear when I was watching Doug's speech to the team after the game on YouTube. Watching the players so happy. Yeah, they're a FAMILY not a team.

I've seen lots of people talk about the size of Doug's nuts for that call--and others--but what I still don't see is the respect for the Eagles doing it. They talk about how the Patriots defense sucked or how Brady missed that pass but NOTHING about how the Eagles were the best team ALL SEASON. I really don't understand the hatred the media has for the Eagles. Never have all of these years.
One
QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 6 2018, 01:28 AM) *

Great post, D!
mcnabbulous
What nobody seems to be talking about, is the MONUMENTAL Testicular Fortitude exhibited by one Douglas Pederson for that Philly Special call.

After that play, I kept thinking about the 4th and 8 call against the Giants and how pissed so many people were about that decision. At the time, I said...

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 25 2017, 10:40 PM) *
Going for it on 4th down when he borderline shouldn’t means Doug is likely to go for it when he definitely should. Which is much better than most coaches. I’m all for it.

We won a Super Bowl because we have the most aggressive coach in football. And we probably don't win it otherwise. I have a feeling it's going to change a lot of decision making moving forward.

Enjoy, D.
D Rock
100% agreed. Except, I would suggest it was well beyond “aggressive.” That’s the word most of the talking heads are using. It was SO FUCKING BALLSY it bordered on stupid and incompetent.

Doug would be getting murdered from every direction had that Philly Special play not worked.

HUGE BALLS required to make that call, on that stage, in that situation. WHO DOES THAT? And, YES! I do believe it was chief amongst the handful of factors that led to our first Lombardi.

You too, buddy! We’ve “earned” it.
Phits
DP didn't shy away from the aggressive play calling as so many coaches tend to do. He danced with the partner that brought him there. I love it. I hope he never changes.
D Rock
Again... It was so much more than simply “aggressive.”

I’m reminded of a favorite line from Spinal Tap...

(Read in Nigel’s cockney accent)

“It’s such a fine line between ‘clever’ and ‘stupid.’”
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 6 2018, 12:14 PM) *
Again... It was so much more than simply “aggressive.”

I’m reminded of a favorite line from Spinal Tap...

(Read in Nigel’s cockney accent)

“It’s such a fine line between ‘clever’ and ‘stupid.’”

I see the distinction you're making. You're probably right, but I guess from their perspective, the play call itself was no more risky than anything else they could have called. In fact, it was probably higher percentage than a lot of things because of the success they had practicing it and NE not seeing it.

Either way, we're lucky to have him. NFL conservatism is something I've been bitching about for years. I hoped Chip would lead the way in revolutionizing it. Instead, Doug turned out to be that guy rather unexpectedly. What a breath of fresh air.

It's weird knowing that I'll never watch another Eagles game/season with that pit of anxiety that comes with having never seen a title.
Joegrane
Eagles D made a few big plays in addition to the Graham strip.

McCloud's 3rd down stop was big,

the biggest' was Jenkins taking out Cooks, Hope he's ok

I was fortunate enough to have the day off today, the wife running errands, and the wee folk at school. I spent the day gorging on any and all post game media I could get my hands on.

You’re up. In the Super Bowl. Your previous 3 “short-red-zone” plays looked awful. You can take the chip-shot 3, and go to the locker room up that much more. BUT. You know Brady gets the ball to start the 2nd half.

Seriously!!!

If that play doesn’t work, they’d be dragging his lifeless body down broad street right now.

And Doug didn’t have a single fuck to give.

That was EASILY, THE MOST BADASS play call I’ve EVER seen. WHO DOES THAT?!?!?

Other points of interest to me...

Neither defense showed up. It was shockingly bad, on both sides. I expected their D to have a poor showing. But ours? They made ONE play. It was HUGE. We have a LOMBARDI!!!! (But damn, that defensive “performance” took 3 years off my life).

Gronk played affraid in the first half. That concussion must have been a doozie.

Big V’s growth through the last quarter of the season, and the playoffs is a big part of this.

Refs were good overall, but that defensive holding call on Mills in the 1st quarter was horrible. It extended a scoring drive that should have ended there. The Ertz TD was clear-cut the right call. The Clement TD was more cloudy, but hey... it (FINALLY) went our way.

The game Nick put together was nothing short of Hollywood. Simply Magic.

He seems perfectly content to return to his backup role moving forward, but you have to assume QB hungry teams are going to come calling. I tend to think we need to keep him. There’s no gaurantee Carson will be ready week 1. No guarantee he’ll play 16 even if he does. Top backups are hard to find (and keep) because if they’re that good, they wanna start. Foles’ seeming willingness to remain in that role is rare. But, with all that said, there has to be a price point at which you’d simply HAVE to consider moving him. So, what is that price point in your opinion? For me, it’s a 1st round pick with some add-on (player or additional pick).

Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 6 2018, 05:13 PM) *
DP didn't shy away from the aggressive play calling as so many coaches tend to do. He danced with the partner that brought him there. I love it. I hope he never changes.

Agreed.

If Pederson had done the safe thing and taken the three points, would it have raised questions in our players' minds? Would it have given the Patriots further confidence?

Instead he stayed true to his principles and trusted his players to execute. That could only increase our self belief.
JeeQ
I've said all season that Pedey coaches like he's playing a game of Madden... and God bless that man
nephillymike
QUOTE (One @ Feb 6 2018, 08:28 AM) *
Great post, D!

Hey D and Nabby, in case you didn't hear, this new guy One, is really the old guy Zero.

I like the new guy a lot better.
nephillymike
I remember your comment on that.

I remember doing a bunch of research on it showing how TE numbers show going for it on 4th down makes a lot of sense.
Rick
QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 6 2018, 12:13 PM) *

And this is something I always complained about with AR--and other coaches--where they stop doing what got them there and that's why they fail. Belicheat NEVER changes what got him there. Seeing Pederson keep doing what got him there made me feel more and more confident as the game went on.

I love that he went for it there. Why? He's done it all season. Definitely balls of hugeness for calling that play (with limited practice of it). But I love it. If you coach against him, you never really know what he'll call.

And I absolutely LOVE that he bases a lot of his decisions on the numbers. Remember our discussion about this? He's proving why the numbers don't lie.

Will other coaches start doing these things? I don't know. It's such a conservative lot of coaches, I don't know a lot of people will change. Let's also not forget, even with the win, I'm still seeing little respect for our beloved Eagles. Most people talk about how Belicheat lost the game because Butler didn't play or Brady lost it because he dropped that ball or... But not a lot of how the Eagles just Tom Bradyed Tom Brady and how Pederson out-coached the invincible Belicheat.

It really is amazing how people have gone out of their way to NOT respect the Eagles even after they proved they are the best team this season even though most of us believed this for most of this season.
D Rock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 7 2018, 04:42 AM) *
Hey D and Nabby, in case you didn't hear, this new guy One, is really the old guy Zero.

laugh.gif
Joegrane
I hope the new guy is not around here nearly as long as the old guy was : )

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 7 2018, 04:42 AM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.