Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reasonable Expectations for Nick Foles
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Joegrane
A Kulp wrote a good article today about Foles' history, especially his performances with good O Lines vs bad O Lines.
http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/the7...-offensive-line

Clearly Foles does not have the O Line and skill position weapons he had in 2013--Shady, D Jax, Mac and a solid TE.

The O Line was a big mess in 2014 and eventually Foles broke his collarbone while being sacked.

We know the Rams did not have a good O when Foles was there.

Obviously Foles does not have the skill position weapons that he had in 2013. Teams had to play bend but not break to protect against DJax. They also had to respect Shady. Finally Chip's uptempo system will produce yards and points when there is offensive talent.

However there is a solid amount of talent around Foles. The left side of the O Line is suspect but otherwise strong. There is a balance of talent at the skill positions except the weakness at 3rd down back.

My concern is that it could take some time for the chemistry to develop with the starting WRs and Ertz. Thankfully they do have some time to work on that with upcoming winnable games vs NYG and OAK. Hopefully the Eagles will have #1 seed wrapped up by the Dallas game and so Foles may only have to play a quarter or less.

Can Foles perform like an average QB with this supporting cast?
nephillymike
Yes, if you define average as the median passer Rating, I think so.

16 th in the league is a 91 rating of Big Ben. I think Foles can do a rating of 90 and keep us in the game.

My concern is that left side of the OL.

That will get an immobile QB killed.

On another note, does anyone else think it unwise to not bring in a 3rd QB?

I do. You can't have the risk of a Brian Mitchell like QB situation from here on out.

Get someone in here and train him for a few weeks.
Joegrane
Greg Ward, the practice squad WR was a college QB. I think they use him as scout team QB for mobile QBs.

This is a nice analysis with video clips on plusses and minuses of N Foles.
https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/12...quarterback-nfl

I'm a little disappointed at the mental mistakes presented. Could it be that Foles is usually studying the tendencies of opposing teams for his scout team work and not studying the Eagles?

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 14 2017, 10:24 PM) *
Yes, if you define average as the median passer Rating, I think so.

16 th in the league is a 91 rating of Big Ben. I think Foles can do a rating of 90 and keep us in the game.

My concern is that left side of the OL.

That will get an immobile QB killed.

On another note, does anyone else think it unwise to not bring in a 3rd QB?

I do. You can't have the risk of a Brian Mitchell like QB situation from here on out.

Get someone in here and train him for a few weeks.

Joegrane
This writer has Foles as an average NFL QB.
http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagl...lf-nfl-starters

That's too high for me. Maybe he is but he'll have to prove it by winning at least two of the next three and being competitive in the playoffs. I expect him to perform like the QBs in the 2nd quartile--below average but not terrible.

He has Foles ahead of E Manning. I don't. I still think Manning is a good QB when behind a decent O Line. He becomes terrible behind a bad O line like Foles was in 2014 and like so many other QBs. The stupid Giants loaded up on receivers but neglected the O Line in front of their antique QB.

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Dec 14 2017, 09:54 PM) *
A Kulp wrote a good article today about Foles' history, especially his performances with good O Lines vs bad O Lines.
http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/the7...-offensive-line

Clearly Foles does not have the O Line and skill position weapons he had in 2013--Shady, D Jax, Mac and a solid TE.

The O Line was a big mess in 2014 and eventually Foles broke his collarbone while being sacked.

We know the Rams did not have a good O when Foles was there.

Obviously Foles does not have the skill position weapons that he had in 2013. Teams had to play bend but not break to protect against DJax. They also had to respect Shady. Finally Chip's uptempo system will produce yards and points when there is offensive talent.

However there is a solid amount of talent around Foles. The left side of the O Line is suspect but otherwise strong. There is a balance of talent at the skill positions except the weakness at 3rd down back.

My concern is that it could take some time for the chemistry to develop with the starting WRs and Ertz. Thankfully they do have some time to work on that with upcoming winnable games vs NYG and OAK. Hopefully the Eagles will have #1 seed wrapped up by the Dallas game and so Foles may only have to play a quarter or less.

Can Foles perform like an average QB with this supporting cast?
nephillymike
I agree with the author. Average NFL starter in this offense
Zero
I think Nicky Six may surprise a lot of people. He's not a scrambler, but he can move around in the pocket fine and is a nice passer. They'll need to give him protection, but that's what the Jay Train should do.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 16 2017, 12:10 PM) *
I think Nicky Six may surprise a lot of people. He's not a scrambler, but he can move around in the pocket fine and is a nice passer. They'll need to give him protection, but that's what the Jay Train should do.

Do you mean this guy?

And yes, I'm showing my age.
The Franchise
As far as I'm concerned there's still no excuse to not get the #1 seed. As I've stated before, I still think we can beat anyone, I just don't want to play the Pats in the Super Bowl.
Zero
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Dec 16 2017, 03:27 PM) *
I just don't want to play the Pats in the Super Bowl.

Listening to the radio today, Glen Macnow was saying that Brady doesn't look like himself and said he had heard a rumor that he had injured his Achilles.
Joegrane
At this point I think it is so unlikely that the Eagles will get to the SB that I would not care which AFC team would beat the crap out of them in that game.

Teams can be quite fragile. You change a few parts not expecting much of a difference but they really under-perform. Did the fans of the Cowboys and Raiders expect what they've seen after their teams amassed 12+ Ws last year?

This Eagles team has been surprisingly resilient to its many losses--Sproles, Peters, Hicks, even A. Barbre at L OG in the offseason. L OG has been dicey at times this year. The special teams may be showing some signs of missing its captain.

Maybe one of the guys holding the thing together was Wentz. Will they loose some of the chemistry as well as the talent, the high success rate on 3rd down and in the Red Zone?

I'm assuming they are now only like a solid Wild Card contending team, on the level of Carolina. Of course they'll likely have the advantage of the #1 seed, but even with that, I think they'll need to have things go right to win their first playoff game.

QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 16 2017, 06:59 PM) *
Listening to the radio today, Glen Macnow was saying that Brady doesn't look like himself and said he had heard a rumor that he had injured his Achilles.

Zero
Joe, if you're a professional pundit or a paid commentator, I get it. Otherwise, why not enjoy what they're doing? You didn't expect them to accomplish what they have, but I bet it's been fun watching it. I just don't understand why you keep saying they can't or they won't. Have some faith, man.

This team is more than 53 players, and if you don't see that and appreciate what a team like that can be capable of then you're missing a lot of the fun. There's more talented teams and there's healthier teams but I can't think of many teams that have bonded the way these guys have. I laughed and scoffed at Lurie's "emotional intelligence" thing, but I've come to think that maybe he found the right catalyst (Wentz/Pederson) to make that like a magic wand.
Joegrane
I'm not either of those. Maybe I just was psychologically damaged growing up watching the Eagles from the late 60's to the late 70s when they did not even have one winning season.

I did not get to watch the first half. A dear friend was diagnosed with brain cancer and had to address some of her personal matters.

Nick and the O did more than their part. The STs did more than their part. What's up with the D? I wonder if both Cox and Jernigan are nicked up.

QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 17 2017, 05:45 AM) *
Joe, if you're a professional pundit or a paid commentator, I get it. Otherwise, why not enjoy what they're doing? You didn't expect them to accomplish what they have, but I bet it's been fun watching it. I just don't understand why you keep saying they can't or they won't. Have some faith, man.

This team is more than 53 players, and if you don't see that and appreciate what a team like that can be capable of then you're missing a lot of the fun. There's more talented teams and there's healthier teams but I can't think of many teams that have bonded the way these guys have. I laughed and scoffed at Lurie's "emotional intelligence" thing, but I've come to think that maybe he found the right catalyst (Wentz/Pederson) to make that like a magic wand.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Dec 17 2017, 09:50 PM) *
I'm not either of those. Maybe I just was psychologically damaged growing up watching the Eagles from the late 60's to the late 70s when they did not even have one winning season.

I did not get to watch the first half. A dear friend was diagnosed with brain cancer and had to address some of her personal matters.

Nick and the O did more than their part. The STs did more than their part. What's up with the D? I wonder if both Cox and Jernigan are nicked up.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

The major problem was scheme. Just like last time, NYG used quick passes, slants etc and then did a stop and go for big burns. DBs tackled poorly. We didn't utilize any mush rush or drop DL into coverage to mess them up. We had a whole game of film to prepare for it and we didn't.

STs played great. Foles had an excellent game. Calm, in control, and really let his WRs go get the ball.

Win next week and we got home field throughout.

Clean up the D and we have a shot.
Wheeljack

I do, even with Foles.
Hell, if Eli can do it, so can Foles.

This is not blind faith in Foles, it's focused hate on the most fraudulent team of the NFL.
The Cheatriots have to end somehow.
Pila
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ Dec 18 2017, 04:44 PM) *
I do, even with Foles.

This is not blind faith in Foles, it's focused hate on the most fraudulent team of the NFL.

Personally I think the team to beat is the Jags. I think they'll take care of either NE or Pit. They just seem to be getting more formidable with every passing week.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ Dec 18 2017, 11:44 AM) *
I do, even with Foles.

I hate them too. I hope someone else ends them and we play the Steelers or Jags. Either would be tough, but I just can't bear the thought of the Pats pulling out another one over us.

Then again if our secondary plays the way it did yesterday, we won't get past the first game against the Saints or Falcons.
Rick
QUOTE (Pila @ Dec 18 2017, 02:50 PM) *
Personally I think the team to beat is the Jags. I think they'll take care of either NE or Pit. They just seem to be getting more formidable with every passing week.

I've been calling an Eagles-Jags SB for a few weeks now. wink.gif

It would be uncomfortable if that were to happen and the Eagles were to lose in the SB...again. I live in Jacksonville. wink.gif
The Franchise
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 19 2017, 05:39 AM) *
I've been calling an Eagles-Jags SB for a few weeks now. wink.gif

It would be uncomfortable if that were to happen and the Eagles were to lose in the SB...again. I live in Jacksonville. wink.gif

Uncomfortable for who? All the Eagles fans who you live near? Or the Gators fans who don't know what you're talking about? wink.gif
Rick
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Dec 19 2017, 02:03 PM) *
Uncomfortable for who? All the Eagles fans who you live near? Or the Gators fans who don't know what you're talking about? wink.gif

LOL! Uncomfortable because the Jags' fans are about as fair weather as they come. I'll have to listen to them drone on about the Jags....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.