Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is the pity party over yet?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
The Eagles need to win two of three games (@ Giants, then home against the Raiders and Cowboys) to get home field throughout. Win two home games then win two more home games and they're in the dance. Foles is no Wentz, but they've got a solid running game and capable receivers. Run and mostly short WCO passes. The defense will have to step up, Sidney Jones is starting to practice with the team. Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, and Brad Johnson all led their teams to a SB win. How much worse is Foles?

Pederson and Schwartz have their work cut out for them. Can Pederson lean on a WCO attack with his three headed monster, Ertz, Jeffery and Agholor? Will the defense step up and control playoff offenses?

Fuck this woe-is-me shit! This is when it gets interesting.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 12 2017, 12:05 PM) *
The Eagles need to win two of three games (@ Giants, then home against the Raiders and Cowboys) to get home field throughout. Win two home games then win two more home games and they're in the dance. Foles is no Wentz, but they've got a solid running game and capable receivers. Run and mostly short WCO passes. The defense will have to step up, Sidney Jones is starting to practice with the team. Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, and Brad Johnson all led their teams to a SB win. How much worse is Foles?

Pederson and Schwartz have their work cut out for them. Can Pederson lean on a WCO attack with his three headed monster, Ertz, Jeffery and Agholor? Will the defense step up and control playoff offenses?

What pity party? I have not seen any gnashing of teeth on this site. Some disappointment but the overall reaction has been pretty tame.

With regards to home field, I think they can get it with a win vs. the Giants coupled with wins this weekend by Cin and NYJ. I am not 100% on this but it sure looks that way to me.

Pila
I'm drowning in my own sorrow. Been listening to Fado the last 48 hours. I'm gonna jump off one of Portugal's beautiful cliffs. Just gotta decide which one. Maybe I'll join McNamara on one of those giants swells in Nazare and go out in glory.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Pila @ Dec 12 2017, 10:14 AM) *
I'm drowning in my own sorrow. Been listening to Fado the last 48 hours. I'm gonna jump off one of Portugal's beautiful cliffs. Just gotta decide which one. Maybe I'll join McNamara on one of those giants swells in Nazare and go out in glory.

Believe in the power of Nellie!!!!
Pila
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 12 2017, 03:49 PM) *
Believe in the power of Nellie!!!!

Nellie! POWER! *hiccup*
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 12 2017, 06:05 AM) *

Did America quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
IDK, but after Wentz went out of the game the D, which had been shredded for most of the second half, went back to the kind of dominant play they had in the 1st quarter (after the short field TD of course). If this team rallies around our wounded warrior and plays with the kind of intensity we have seen for most of this season, then hell yeah, we can make some serious noise in the playoffs. Foles has to know that this may be the defining moment of his NFL career and I expect him to play his ass off, and if the rest of the guys do too, then we are still a team to be feared.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Dec 12 2017, 07:15 PM) *
Did America quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
IDK, but after Wentz went out of the game the D, which had been shredded for most of the second half, went back to the kind of dominant play they had in the 1st quarter (after the short field TD of course). If this team rallies around our wounded warrior and plays with the kind of intensity we have seen for most of this season, then hell yeah, we can make some serious noise in the playoffs. Foles has to know that this may be the defining moment of his NFL career and I expect him to play his ass off, and if the rest of the guys do too, then we are still a team to be feared.

If Foles can secure a bye and then go on to win a game or two in the playoffs, he could receive another shot at starting somewhere. This is a huge opportunity for him and wish him the best of luck for two reasons. One, my own selfish desire to see the Eagles in the Super Bowl again and two, Foles has been a class act since he first go around in Philly.

The Franchise
No pity party for me. I wouldn't be surprised if we finish up with 3 wins. I just don't think we can win it all with him. I can't bear the thought of losing another SB to the Pats, let's just hope the Steelers manage to get the #1 seed.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Dec 12 2017, 06:48 PM) *
No pity party for me. I wouldn't be surprised if we finish up with 3 wins. I just don't think we can win it all with him. I can't bear the thought of losing another SB to the Pats, let's just hope the Steelers manage to get the #1 seed.

Dude, I have lived in CT for the past 20 years, right on the border of Pats and Giants territory. In those 20 years I have had to watch them celebrate a combined 7 SB victories. I do not know how much more I can take. Right now the Steelers are my 2nd favorite team just because I need them to knock off the Pats.
The Franchise
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Dec 12 2017, 01:53 PM) *
Dude, I have lived in CT for the past 20 years, right on the border of Pats and Giants territory. In those 20 years I have had to watch them celebrate a combined 7 SB victories. I do not know how much more I can take. Right now the Steelers are my 2nd favorite team just because I need them to knock off the Pats.

I feel you, I grew up in North Jersey - when you're getting mocked by Mets fans is when you've hit rock bottom. I say we can still beat any team in the league, but we aren't going to beat the Pats in the SB. So yes, go Steelers.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Dec 12 2017, 03:03 PM) *
I feel you, I grew up in North Jersey - when you're getting mocked by Mets fans is when you've hit rock bottom. I say we can still beat any team in the league, but we aren't going to beat the Pats in the SB. So yes, go Steelers.

Did you see last night's game vs. Miami? The key aspect of their win came from a relentless pass rush that never gave Brady a chance to get into a rhythm. They did it with a lot of blitzing, but our front four are better than Miami's, so yeah I think they could make a game of it with the Pats. We would be clear underdogs playing on house money in every way given all the players we lost this year, which would make an upset win that much more satisfying. Not saying it is going to happen, but think about how sweet it would be to beat Brady with our backup QB?
The Franchise
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Dec 12 2017, 03:57 PM) *
Did you see last night's game vs. Miami? The key aspect of their win came from a relentless pass rush that never gave Brady a chance to get into a rhythm. They did it with a lot of blitzing, but our front four are better than Miami's, so yeah I think they could make a game of it with the Pats. We would be clear underdogs playing on house money in every way given all the players we lost this year, which would make an upset win that much more satisfying. Not saying it is going to happen, but think about how sweet it would be to beat Brady with our backup QB?

The Pats aren't unbeatable, I just don't want to play them again in the SB and think we'd have a much better shot against Pitt. But yes, obviously it would be amazing to beat the Pats with Foles.
Joegrane
Will CW be back for the beginning of the regular season next year? I assume not so they'll need Foles for a while.

I had hoped for something like what you described. It would be nice to clear some of that cap space. However with the injury to CW I don't think it will happen.

QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Dec 12 2017, 01:32 PM) *
If Foles can secure a bye and then go on to win a game or two in the playoffs, he could receive another shot at starting somewhere. This is a huge opportunity for him and wish him the best of luck for two reasons. One, my own selfish desire to see the Eagles in the Super Bowl again and two, Foles has been a class act since he first go around in Philly.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Dec 12 2017, 11:42 PM) *
Will CW be back for the beginning of the regular season next year? I assume not so they'll need Foles for a while.

I had hoped for something like what you described. It would be nice to clear some of that cap space. However with the injury to CW I don't think it will happen.

That is a very good point. If you take the optimistic 9 month forecast, that gets us to August. The Eagles will probably have to keep Foles around as insurance.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 12 2017, 06:05 AM) *

No,no no, no!

You can't come in here with this optimistic spin when you took a few days hiatus after the tough injury loss.

You need to turn the lights out, play a few songs from the playlist, wallow in memory of losses from yesterday year, perhaps replay the TO horse collar or the McNabb McChuck. Totally absorb the calamity.

Then, after all of that, if you snap out of it and want to wax poetic optimistic prose, than you will be welcomed back.

I was actually gonna send a crew us to that 202 bridge to search for you.

From the top:

Goodbye My friend it's hard to die
When all the birds are singing in the sky........

We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun.......

Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 12 2017, 09:47 PM) *
No,no no, no!

You can't come in here with this optimistic spin when you took a few days hiatus after the tough injury loss.

You need to turn the lights out, play a few songs from the playlist, wallow in memory of losses from yesterday year, perhaps replay the TO horse collar or the McNabb McChuck. Totally absorb the calamity.

Then, after all of that, if you snap out of it and want to wax poetic optimistic prose, than you will be welcomed back.

I was actually gonna send a crew us to that 202 bridge to search for you.

From the top:

Goodbye My friend it's hard to die
When all the birds are singing in the sky........

We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun.......
laugh.gif
My hiatus had nothing to do with the game.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 13 2017, 08:19 AM) *
laugh.gif
My hiatus had nothing to do with the game.

Its ok Z...how did your breast augmentation go?...oops...I am sorry, I wasn't supposed to say anything...
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 13 2017, 09:20 AM) *
Its ok Z...how did your breast augmentation go?...oops...I am sorry, I wasn't supposed to say anything...

Bwah.

My guess was that it was a "lower extremity" augmentation, to use hockey speak!
JeeQ
Nicky 9 recognizes this golden opportunity and goes 3-0.

I can name worse QBs than Foles that have gone on to (and sometimes won) Superbowls.

Wentz or not he was never going to carry us all the way by himself. It's going to be up to the defense, run game, and special teams if we want to be a Super Bowl team.
Joegrane
I hear you but defenses are going to make him prove he can beat them. I think he'll do enough to keep them honest.

QUOTE (JeeQ @ Dec 13 2017, 06:50 PM) *
Nicky 9 recognizes this golden opportunity and goes 3-0.

I can name worse QBs than Foles that have gone on to (and sometimes won) Superbowls.

Wentz or not he was never going to carry us all the way by himself. It's going to be up to the defense, run game, and special teams if we want to be a Super Bowl team.

Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 13 2017, 10:16 AM) *
Bwah.

My guess was that it was a "lower extremity" augmentation, to use hockey speak!
Something to please both of ya. laugh.gif

Sorry to disappoint, still just a grumpy old man who thinks the season isn't over yet. I think they'll need to lean a little more on the run and the quick routes, but I'm not sure Pederson will agree.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.