Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Joe, read this
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
samaroo
I've been reading things from fans saying they want to see the Eagles beat a good team to see if they are "for real." Or they need to lose a game or tough out a win to be playoff ready.

Well, here's stats. Wear lo(o)se pants, Mikey, lotsa numbers coming.

KEEP IN MIND THAT THE EAGLES ARE DOMINATING TEAMS RIGHT NOW!
Joegrane
Thanks for the link. That was interesting but does not address the point I've been making.

I have no doubt that the Eagles are a very good team, one of the obvious playoff caliber teams in the NFL.

My question is whether they are an "elite team," one that could be expected to get at least to the conference championship game or SB.

Or are the Eagles like the Saints, a team that can beat up on bad teams, beat Wild Card caliber teams, but tends to loose to elite teams.

The Steelers seem to be an elite team due to wins over the Vikes, KC and Lions.

The Vikes also seem to be an elite team after dominating the Rams. They also have wins over the Saints and Lions.

Since the Eagles have not beaten any obvious playoff teams and have only beaten one likely Wild Card team I don't know if they are an elite team like the Steelers or just an obvious playoff team like the Saints.

How many teams made it to the SB after having one of the easiest schedules in the NFL, according to this site #27?
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/ranking/sc...rength-by-other

If the Eagles are an elite team, they will likely win this week against a flawed, but playoff contending Seattle team.

QUOTE (samaroo @ Nov 28 2017, 06:21 PM) *
I've been reading things from fans saying they want to see the Eagles beat a good team to see if they are "for real." Or they need to lose a game or tough out a win to be playoff ready.

Well, here's stats. Wear lo(o)se pants, Mikey, lotsa numbers coming.

KEEP IN MIND THAT THE EAGLES ARE DOMINATING TEAMS RIGHT NOW!

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Nov 28 2017, 10:57 PM) *
Thanks for the link. That was interesting but does not address the point I've been making.

I have no doubt that the Eagles are a very good team, one of the obvious playoff caliber teams in the NFL.

My question is whether they are an "elite team," one that could be expected to get at least to the conference championship game or SB.

Or are the Eagles like the Saints, a team that can beat up on bad teams, beat Wild Card caliber teams, but tends to loose to elite teams.

The Vikes also seem to be an elite team after dominating the Rams. They also have wins over the Saints and Lions.

Since the Eagles have not beaten any obvious playoff teams and have only beaten one likely Wild Card team I don't know if they are an elite team like the Steelers or just an obvious playoff team like the Saints.

How many teams made it to the SB after having one of the easiest schedules in the NFL, according to this site #27?

If the Eagles are an elite team, they will likely win this week against a flawed, but playoff contending Seattle team.

You really are a hoot...the Panthers are not an obvious playoff team? You do realize they have the same record the rams and the saints, right?
Zero
The next two games will help define what this team is, but there will still be debate. If the Eagles beat Seattle, there will be people who will say they didn't have Chancellor or Sherman. Do we ever wonder how the Eagles would be playing if they still had Peters, Sproles, Hicks and Maragos?
Joegrane
Remember I also described Carolina as a "likely Wild Card team". They are certainly not one of the NFL's elite teams at this time. That would change if they beat two of the three playoff teams on their schedule.

Carolina is in a tough division and still have to play saints, vikes and falcons.

In contrast the Lions could run the table with their easy schedule. They'll be favored in all but the Ravens game.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 29 2017, 02:11 AM) *
You really are a hoot...the Panthers are not an obvious playoff team? You do realize they have the same record the rams and the saints, right?
Rick
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Nov 28 2017, 11:57 PM) *

Sorry but you are ridiculous. Ever hear the term, "Any given Sunday..."? Many, "elite," teams have gotten to the playoffs and lost in the first round. Happens all of the time.

To say the Eagles aren't an elite team right now is crazy. 10-1....let me repeat that...10-1... You claim they haven't beaten anyone. I'd counter by asking who, exactly, the Vikings (someone you seem to think is elite) has beaten. The Saints have been exposed. The Rams are over rated (IMO). Who else have they beaten?

And, you seem to forget the Eagles are DESTROYING the teams they're playing. They're doing what elite teams do...winning the games they're supposed to and winning big in the games they're supposed to win big in. You can't fault them for not beating teams they haven't played while you pooh pooh the games they have played--and excelled in.

Does this mean the Eagles will win the SB? No. The Patriots are an elite team almost every year. They don't win the SB every year. Being an elite team is not an automatic win (or two) in the playoffs.

Those of you who argue this are absolutely ridiculous.
Pila
How did you guys get past "loose"?

What he say after that?
Joegrane
Thanks again.

QUOTE (Pila @ Nov 29 2017, 04:21 PM) *
How did you guys get past "loose"?

What he say after that?

Pila
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Nov 29 2017, 11:07 PM) *
Thanks again.

biggrin.gif

I kid. You know that, right? Now, can you stop torturing me with that?
Joegrane
I wish I could say yes. After the last time I literally taped a note on the top of my laptop screen "Loses vs Looses." I caught myself a couple of times since then but not today : (

If you feel tortured, consider that my closest friend is a translator who also sometimes does editing. He is a very patient man : )

QUOTE (Pila @ Nov 29 2017, 07:15 PM) *
biggrin.gif

I kid. You know that, right? Now, can you stop torturing me with that?

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Nov 29 2017, 11:11 AM) *
Remember I also described Carolina as a "likely Wild Card team". They are certainly not one of the NFL's elite teams at this time. That would change if they beat two of the three playoff teams on their schedule.

Carolina is in a tough division and still have to play saints, vikes and falcons.

In contrast the Lions could run the table with their easy schedule. They'll be favored in all but the Ravens game.

They are tied with NO record wise. The Lions suck and also play that pesky GB team that will have Rodgers back.

Rick
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 30 2017, 10:45 AM) *
The Lions suck...

And the Lions are one of the losses the Vikings have. You know, the Vikings team a certain someone around here considers elite...
Joegrane
Vikes split with the Lions.

The Lions have been competitive in their losses. Surely they are a flawed team, esp on D, but they have a winning record and an easy schedule in contrast to Carolina and Atlanta.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/det/detroit-lions

Carolina may turn out to be the winner in the NFC South and an elite team or they could end up out of the playoffs.

QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 30 2017, 11:29 AM) *
And the Lions are one of the losses the Vikings have. You know, the Vikings team a certain someone around here considers elite...

Pila
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Nov 30 2017, 03:40 AM) *
I wish I could say yes. After the last time I literally taped a note on the top of my laptop screen "Loses vs Looses." I caught myself a couple of times since then but not today : (

If you feel tortured, consider that my closest friend is a translator who also sometimes does editing. He is a very patient man : )

I think I've stretched this joke far enough, Joe. Just know I'm your biggest fan. wub.gif
Zero

nephillymike
Ok Joe,

Based on what you think of the teams, rank the NFCs top teams from 1 thru 8.

Call it the Joegrane Power ratings for the NFC.

And then, if you will, depending on where you have the Eagles ranked, let me know how many AFC teams you have ranked higher.

Sometimes putting pen to paper puts it in perspective.
Rick
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Nov 30 2017, 12:42 PM) *
Vikes split with the Lions.

The Lions have been competitive in their losses. Surely they are a flawed team, esp on D, but they have a winning record and an easy schedule in contrast to Carolina and Atlanta.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/det/detroit-lions

Carolina may turn out to be the winner in the NFC South and an elite team or they could end up out of the playoffs.

The Lions have sucked....period. Again, you don't get to call them competitive and the Vikings elite (after losing to said Lions) and then claim the Eagles are not elite.

You sense of good/bad elite/competitive is a bit flawed...
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 1 2017, 10:06 AM) *
Ok Joe,

And then, if you will, depending on where you have the Eagles ranked, let me know how many AFC teams you have ranked higher.

I'll take a crack at that:

NFC
1. Us
2. NO
3. MIN
4. ATL
5. StL (I don't care where their stadium is, they're StL to me...)
6. SEA
7 - 8. Doesn't matter, these are the only real contenders that I see. Unless GB gets Rogers back, but I hope they'll be out of the playoffs before that happens.

NFL
1. Us
2. NE
3. MIN
4. ATL
5. PIT
6. StL
7 - whatever doesn't matter.

ATL can be scary if they turn it on, and they seem to be heating up lately. But realistically, the only team I'd be worried about would be NE, cause they have a whole network set up already to cheat through the winter.

And also Tom Brady.
The Franchise
QUOTE (samaroo @ Nov 30 2017, 09:38 PM) *
NFL
1. Us
2. NE
3. MIN
4. ATL
5. PIT

What happened to NO?
Pila
QUOTE (samaroo @ Dec 1 2017, 02:38 AM) *
I'll take a crack at that:

NFC
1. Us
2. NO
3. MIN
4. ATL
5. StL (I don't care where their stadium is, they're StL to me...)
6. SEA
7 - 8. Doesn't matter, these are the only real contenders that I see. Unless GB gets Rogers back, but I hope they'll be out of the playoffs before that happens.

NFL
1. Us
2. NE
3. MIN
4. ATL
5. PIT
6. StL
7 - whatever doesn't matter.

ATL can be scary if they turn it on, and they seem to be heating up lately. But realistically, the only team I'd be worried about would be NE, cause they have a whole network set up already to cheat through the winter.

And also Tom Brady.
I think I'd put PIT ahead of Atl. At least right now. PIT has a habit of keeping every game close, but they have elite play-makers.
Joegrane
My problem isn't with how the Eagles have played. I just have a problem with those who are ready to buy tickets to Minn when we have a team with one of the easiest schedules in the NFL and who has only beaten one other likely playoff team.

I've not seen much of any other teams this season. I'm just basing my thoughts on the numbers. I'm looking for an impressive combination of W-L record, quality wins and strength of schedule. The Vikes and Steelers have that. To a lesser extent I'm looking at point differentials and how the teams have played in the past month or so. ( That sounds like we are discussing March Madness)

If Carolina beats the Saints this week I'll add them to the list of elite teams.

Btw, one of the teams with an easier schedule this season than the Eagles is Seattle.

The Pats also have had an easier than average schedule. Like the Eagles they've been looking impressive while running up the score against below average teams. They have a couple of quality Ws but have also lost to two playoff caliber teams.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 30 2017, 08:06 PM) *
Ok Joe,

nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Dec 1 2017, 08:45 PM) *
My problem isn't with how the Eagles have played. I just have a problem with those who are ready to buy tickets to Minn when we have a team with one of the easiest schedules in the NFL and who has only beaten one other likely playoff team.

I've not seen much of any other teams this season. I'm just basing my thoughts on the numbers. I'm looking for an impressive combination of W-L record, quality wins and strength of schedule. The Vikes and Steelers have that. To a lesser extent I'm looking at point differentials and how the teams have played in the past month or so. ( That sounds like we are discussing March Madness)

If Carolina beats the Saints this week I'll add them to the list of elite teams.

Btw, one of the teams with an easier schedule this season than the Eagles is Seattle.

The Pats also have had an easier than average schedule. Like the Eagles they've been looking impressive while running up the score against below average teams. They have a couple of quality Ws but have also lost to two playoff caliber teams.

Your rankings?
Joegrane
I honestly don't know. I've not watched enough of the other teams to begin to have an opinion about them.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 1 2017, 09:15 PM) *
Your rankings?

Eyrie
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Dec 2 2017, 04:00 AM) *
I honestly don't know. I've not watched enough of the other teams to begin to have an opinion about them.

That would make it very difficult to know who the elite teams are when you can only look at records and scores without seeing the underlying performances.

Based on records and scores, we are one of the elite teams this season. You can argue about the strength of our opponents but we've won most games comfortably which is the sign of an elite team, and even our one defeat was a close one against what was then a good KC.
Rick
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Dec 1 2017, 09:45 PM) *

So, you haven't watched the other teams but you think they're better than the Eagles?

What win/loss records are you looking at for the Vikings? The combined winning percentage for the teams the Vikings have beaten is only slightly higher than whom the Eagles have beaten and still below .500. And again, they lost to the Lions. Elite teams don't lose to teams like the Lions.

The Patriots pretty much ALWAYS have a cake schedule because they play in an historically weak division. Yet everyone always considers them elite.

As far as the Steelers, let's not forget they got BLOWN OUT by the Jaguars. Again, elite teams don't take losses like that.

The Eagles have NO losses like that and, as we've all repeated, they have BLOWN OUT the teams they're supposed to beat.

Most of us here aren't buying tix to the SB, we are just questioning your very flawed logic of your rankings at this point in the season. They make absolutely NO sense.

I have no idea whether the Eagles will continue to win. If history is correct, they'll either lose in round 1 of the playoffs or before they make it to the SB. But, at this point in the season, their numbers say they are the best. However, this is meaningless unless they go on to win it all.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Dec 1 2017, 11:00 PM) *

Seriously? Yet you go on ad nauseum about how good other teams are and how questionable the Eagles are?

Truly bizarre...
nephillymike
My list:

1. NE
2. Eagles
3. NO (Brees and running game gets nod over MIN)
4. PIT
5. MIN (assuming Keenem regresses toward the mean of his career. D is legit)
6. LAR
7. ATL
8. CAR
9. SEA
10.DET
11.LAC (record doesn't prove it yet)
12.JAC
13.KC (if they lose at NYJ, all bets are off)
14.BAL
15.TEN (frauds)
Joegrane
You could probably say the same thing about the Rams until they went into Minn.

Until they play the games you are not quite sure how the matchups will play out.

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 2 2017, 06:01 AM) *
That would make it very difficult to know who the elite teams are when you can only look at records and scores without seeing the underlying performances.

Based on records and scores, we are one of the elite teams this season. You can argue about the strength of our opponents but we've won most games comfortably which is the sign of an elite team, and even our one defeat was a close one against what was then a good KC.

Eyrie
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Dec 2 2017, 07:51 PM) *
You could probably say the same thing about the Rams until they went into Minn.

Until they play the games you are not quite sure how the matchups will play out.

I'd agree in the case of our next two games at the Seahawks and Rams, because they are probably about our level.

But it would be a major surprise if we lost at the NJ VaGiants or in either of our remaining home games against the Raiders and Cowboys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.