Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "They run this college offense"
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I thought this was an interesting perspective on the offenses around the league, how the spread and the RPO have moved up from college.

Meyer recalled a moment when, after a loss to Nebraska in 2001, he found one of his best players, David Givens, crying at his locker because he felt he had been unable to help his team win: he hadn’t touched the ball the entire game. Meyer then swore to run an offense that delivered the ball to his playmakers.
The simplicity of spread systems doesn’t make them inferior; it makes them beautiful. Were the goal of an offense to be complex and impressive, then perhaps pro-style offenses would trickle down into the collegiate ranks; perhaps players like Lamar Jackson would move to wide receiver. But the goal of an offense is to score touchdowns, and spread offenses are doing that just as well—if not better—than pro-style offenses.

It sounds to me a lot like "putting the players in position to make plays", or tailoring your offense to suit your players.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 12 2017, 06:31 AM) *
I thought this was an interesting perspective on the offenses around the league, how the spread and the RPO have moved up from college.

It sounds to me a lot like "putting the players in position to make plays", or tailoring your offense to suit your players.

Definitely.

That RPO that Wentz ran at one of the best DE and one of the best CB in the league and made them look foolish was a testament of how beautiful simplicity can be.

It can be a Grade school offense as long as it works, draw it up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.