Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2004 vs 2017
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi/2004.htm

That team just smoked the Cowboys by four TDs to get to 8-1 and then the Skins to get to 9-1.

I remember being more psyched about that team at this point in the season because they had the TO hype since training camp and were steam rolling people. However, they had a worse loss than this team did, when they got their asses kicked by the Steelers.

It could be that this team is the better of the two, but because of low preseason expectations, it just doesn't have the hype that the 04 team did. Also I think that 04 team, after years of sad endings, had the feeling that TO was the final piece.

Anyone?

Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 11 2017, 03:12 PM) *

That team just smoked the Cowboys by four TDs to get to 8-1 and then the Skins to get to 9-1.

I remember being more psyched about that team at this point in the season because they had the TO hype since training camp and were steam rolling people. However, they had a worse loss than this team did, when they got their asses kicked by the Steelers.

It could be that this team is the better of the two, but because of low preseason expectations, it just doesn't have the hype that the 04 team did. Also I think that 04 team, after years of sad endings, had the feeling that TO was the final piece.

Anyone?

I was more enthusiastic back then, but I think it had a lot to do with being younger and less weather worn. I was also very pumped on 5 early on, but not as much as I am from Wentz now, because it is clear he has far fewer issues than McNabb overall. I still cringe thinking about all the damn worm-burners he misfired on over the years. Not to mention the fact that after 4 runs to the NFCCG his ego became too big, something I just don't see coming from Wentz. If I were still the same as I was in 04, I'd be on cloud nine, but now I am just enjoying it and hoping nothing stupid happens to ruin it.
Eyrie
Expectations were higher in 2004 because we were on a sustained run as a dominant team in the NFL and it felt like we had the missing piece of the jigsaw in Owens.

My expectations for this year were low at the start of the season, so I'm still half expecting to crash back down to earth at some point. But hopefully not until 6 February.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Nov 11 2017, 05:23 PM) *
I was more enthusiastic back then, but I think it had a lot to do with being younger and less weather worn. I was also very pumped on 5 early on, but not as much as I am from Wentz now, because it is clear he has far fewer issues than McNabb overall. I still cringe thinking about all the damn worm-burners he misfired on over the years. Not to mention the fact that after 4 runs to the NFCCG his ego became too big, something I just don't see coming from Wentz. If I were still the same as I was in 04, I'd be on cloud nine, but now I am just enjoying it and hoping nothing stupid happens to ruin it.

I hear ya BW.

The years of coming up short do have that weather worn effect. I think that is what some of it is for me. I need to perk up and realize that a SB this year will be even better than a SB in 04 because of the pain suffered since.
Joegrane
That is my view on both 2004 & 2017. They were established then got the missing piece'. This team is coming out of nowhere. They still might be overrated but even if they loose two of three big road games in the next month they'll still be in a better position than I expected in September

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 11 2017, 05:48 PM) *
Expectations were higher in 2004 because we were on a sustained run as a dominant team in the NFL and it felt like we had the missing piece of the jigsaw in Owens.

My expectations for this year were low at the start of the season, so I'm still half expecting to crash back down to earth at some point. But hopefully not until 6 February.

Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 11 2017, 04:12 PM) *

Anyone?

In '04 we all knew the Eagles were good. Expectations were high before they signed TOO. Most sane people expected this team to improve and be competitive, not to be 8-1. We're just holding on because we thought we bought a ticket to ride a roller coaster, not a ballistic missile.
The Franchise
That first play-action bomb to TO against the Ravens in the first play of the preseason at home got the whole city going like never before. We had just endured 3 heartbreaking losses in conference championships, and now the last piece to the puzzle was filled in.

Until our next heartbreaking season ending loss of course.....

This year everything is house money. I would compare this season more to 2000 or 2001 in terms of expectations and results - in 2000 McNabb was in his first full year as starter, and led us to 11-5 and a home playoff win, which I don't think anyone expected. Pickle juice and an onside kick, to start off the year by crushing Dallas on the road? Also the run we had at the end of the 2001 season, playing the Rams to the final snap in the NFCCG on the road. I'm still too much of a weary battered wife to start looking at Super Bowl tickets, but so far the results don't lie.

Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 11 2017, 11:48 PM) *
I hear ya BW.

The years of coming up short do have that weather worn effect. I think that is what some of it is for me. I need to perk up and realize that a SB this year will be even better than a SB in 04 because of the pain suffered since.

I tried to explain that earlier this year and was shot down.

But from personal experience it is all the sweeter when it finally happens.

In my case it was the football team that I've followed for close to half a century finally winning its Holy Grail for the first time in 114 years, and at the culmination of a series of events that Hollywood would have rejected as too far fetched.

I'm relatively new to being an Eagles fan but I look forward to the day that those of you who grew up as fans finally have that winning feeling that I had on 21 May 2016.
Joegrane

Thank you! when I was a little kid the Eagles did not even have 1 winning season in 10 years before Vermeil came along.

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 12 2017, 08:04 AM) *
I tried to explain that earlier this year and was shot down.

But from personal experience it is all the sweeter when it finally happens.

In my case it was the football team that I've followed for close to half a century finally winning its Holy Grail for the first time in 114 years, and at the culmination of a series of events that Hollywood would have rejected as too far fetched.

I'm relatively new to being an Eagles fan but I look forward to the day that those of you who grew up as fans finally have that winning feeling that I had on 21 May 2016.

Pila
As a few of you already mentioned, 2004 was an established team finally completed in the off-season when we won the TO sweepstakes. And immediately confirmed on the first play of the preseason, then first game of the season when TO and McNabb toyed with the Gnats. I echo the sentiment that this still feels like house money - without precedence, just not sure if these performances are sustainable. In a way, that's even more exciting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.