Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You make the call on our RBs
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
We had five RBs on the active roster yesterday. Barner was STs only, the other four RBs all got carries.

For the DAL game in two weeks, how many do you keep on the active roster, and, assuming 30 rushing attempts in that game, divide those carries among those RBs.

Here's my plan:

I only suit up four of the five RBs and I deactivate Smallwood. We had only one backup OT for yesterday's game while activating 5 RBs. I don't know why he has been the odd man out, but given the performance of others, he is my odd man out. Barner is STs only for me. My allocation of 30 carries:

Ajayi. 15
Blount 8
Clement 7

I just think that having 22 of the 30 carries in the hands of "quick to the hole" style RB will result in the most productive performance.

A good problem to have.

Anyone?
Zero
I have no idea, but I was shocked to look at the roster to find that Clement is listed at 5'10" 220. He can't be that big. He looks diminutive compared to Blount (6' 250) which we'd expect, but Ajayi at 6' 223 looks much bigger than Clement. Even Smallwood at 5'10" 208 looks bigger.

I'd try to mix the carries between the Blount and Ajayi fairly evenly and use Clement as a change up. Too bad Smallwood can't stay healthy, I like him but five active RBs doesn't make sense. Four offers the chance for a cool nickname having to do with horseman. devil03.gif
JeeQ
We have too many good options at RB right now and I love it
Birdman420
As unconventional as it is to have a lop-sided depth chart... it's working very well and there's no indication that pedy is going to lessen his rotation.

With 4 backs taking carries, what can the D do to counter any one of them? Every rushing down has a fresh back in, we can run hurry up without any consequence.
Joegrane
One reporter said Barner was on the field for the 1st play so officially was the starter.

The distribution will depend somewhat on what is happening in the game. Blount will get more in short yardage and when trying to eat clock.

Blount won't get as many carries in a game where the Eagles have to come from behind and needs better blitz pickup.

We don't know how quickly Ajayi will learn the offense but I bet he'll get at least 12 carries.

I bet they will respect Blount by giving him more than Clement and Smallwood.

Smallwood seems quickest to the hole but he can't stay healthy. I bet he is the only other Eagles RB who would have scored on Ajayi's TD run. Smallwood has the best straight line speed among them, no? 4.47 in 40 https://www.collegefootballmetrics.com/memb...-west-virginia/

I had assumed they'd keep Smallwood active for that outside speed for change of pace. I thought they might even release Clement and hope to stash him on the Practice Squad until next year. However, after scoring 3 TDs in one game and that beautiful TD catch on Monday night football that's not going to happen.

With all of his injuries, might Smallwood make it through waivers? I still think he has a chance to get a little bulkier and hopefully more resilient to injury with time and sports science. I would not want to give up too soon on a guy with 4.47 speed, who is quick to the hole and who has good hands. He'll never be a starter but can become a solid #2 or #3

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 6 2017, 03:30 AM) *
We had five RBs on the active roster yesterday. Barner was STs only, the other four RBs all got carries.

For the DAL game in two weeks, how many do you keep on the active roster, and, assuming 30 rushing attempts in that game, divide those carries among those RBs.

Here's my plan:

I only suit up four of the five RBs and I deactivate Smallwood. We had only one backup OT for yesterday's game while activating 5 RBs. I don't know why he has been the odd man out, but given the performance of others, he is my odd man out. Barner is STs only for me. My allocation of 30 carries:

Ajayi. 15
Blount 8
Clement 7

I just think that having 22 of the 30 carries in the hands of "quick to the hole" style RB will result in the most productive performance.

A good problem to have.

Anyone?

Pila
Can Clement field punts? Anyone know? It would relieve the burden of a roster spot in which is relegated strictly as a PR.
Joegrane
Barner has done a nice job with punts. That might be more important than the #3 RB, especially since, in this case, Ajayi is more or less a better version of Clement. Smallwood's faster straight line speed makes him different than the others and Blount's 250lbs makes him different.

If Clement is still the best RB in pass protection, that would be the difference maker for me.

QUOTE (Pila @ Nov 7 2017, 10:24 AM) *
Can Clement field punts? Anyone know? It would relieve the burden of a roster spot in which is relegated strictly as a PR.

The Franchise
I've been calling for multiple backs to be on the field at the same time. Put Blount and Ajayi in the backfield, and at the same time you have Jeffery, Smith/Agholor, and Ertz on the field. Imagine that nightmare for the defense.

If I had to nitpick about anything right now, some of our run plays are way too obvious. Mix it up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.