Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Long putting his money where his mouth is
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
CT_Eagle
Details at this link

Nice to see an Eagle actually doing something. This is a lot more than showing up at a charity event, donating a 100k or dare I say it, taking a knee.
mcnabbulous
We've consistently been lucky to have Eagles do plenty of stuff. Connor was a fantastic representative in the community when he was here. Malcolm is absolutely one of the best voices in the NFL for the causes players are trying to bring to light.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 18 2017, 01:33 PM) *
Details at this link

Nice to see an Eagle actually doing something. This is a lot more than showing up at a charity event, donating a 100k or dare I say it, taking a knee.

That is impressive. What a generous man. He walks it like he talks it.
D Rock
I certainly applaud Long. Class act.

But let’s also take a moment to look at the ludicrous reality in which we live in this country where it takes the goodness of an individual to provide educational opportunities to young folks who have less than we do, because most would shit bricks if they saw their tax bill go up $100 a year to do the same thing collectively as a society.

We are the only first world country that doesn’t provide education to our own youth beyond the 12th grade. (And even primary/secondary ed in this country rates as 20th in the world).

Then scratch our heads and wag our fingers when young folk struggle to gain traction in the workplace.

Atta Boy Chris Long. Putting your $ where your mouth is, AND for also being aware enough to recognize there is a serious problem in this country.

ETA: If you don’t think education in Amerikkka is woefully inadequate, just wait for RFs response to this message. The proof will be in that pudding. laugh.gif
mcnabbulous
I’d also point out that the original knee taker has committed to donating $1M (and last I saw had donated $800k of that) to various organizations supporting the causes he is bringing awareness to.
Pila
That's an incredible charitable act. Long, long before he did this, was always an individual of admirable character. Rather than knee-jerk into condemnation and polarize the issue, he sought to understand it, then reached out to communities and worked to build bridges between them, personally sacrificing his time and his capital to narrow margins between opportunity and privilege. That's what leaders do. That's what leaders engrossed in the interest of humanity do. They ignore the austerity of virtue signaling for the sake of posterity of humanity.

But I'm really not surprised by it. I have personal testimony of athletes literally donating their entire earnings to causes personal to them. Not 50% of their earnings. Not 75% of their earnings but all of it, save some menial, bare minimum to pay for their utilities. Such an individual is my friend, the great Pedro Mantorras.
Pila
Let me also echo CT's original post. Taking a knee or throwing up your fist can be a meaningful gesture. And, in fact, has been an important one that has by personal accounts triggered an important movement.

But it can't end there. Players and all those that stand with them have to continue to put more than just gesture, or risk falling by the way side of the same credibility of the heap of vacuous "thoughts and prayers" syndrome.
The Franchise
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 20 2017, 04:30 PM) *
ETA: If you don€™t think education in Amerikkka is woefully inadequate, just wait for RFs response to this message. The proof will be in that pudding. laugh.gif

This statement shows that more than RF ever could.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Pila @ Oct 20 2017, 07:25 PM) *
Let me also echo CT's original post. Taking a knee or throwing up your fist can be a meaningful gesture. And, in fact, has been an important one that has by personal accounts triggered an important movement.

But it can't end there. Players and all those that stand with them have to continue to put more than just gesture, or risk falling by the way side of the same credibility of the heap of vacuous "thoughts and prayers" syndrome.

Anquon Boldin literally retired to continue serving these efforts in a more direct manner. Long’s efforts are noble, but they aren’t unique. A number of these guys are doing far more than simple sideline protests.
Pila
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 21 2017, 03:33 AM) *
Anquon Boldin literally retired to continue serving these efforts in a more direct manner. Long’s efforts are noble, but they aren’t unique. A number of these guys are doing far more than simple sideline protests.

I'm sure. I specifically made sure to mention that I wasn't surprised.
Aquila
At the moment this is still a football topic, but only just.

Either way, let's keep the discussion civil on all sides.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.