Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wentz is the most blitzed QB in the league
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
Former Eagles quarterback and TV analyst Ron Jaworski tweeted Tuesday that based on his film study, Wentz has been blitzed on a league-high 39.3 percent of his dropbacks, and has thrown for five touchdowns and no interceptions in those situations.
Zero
Which is probably part of the reason Bovada gives him the best odds of being the MVP. Wentz has the athleticism and the talent, but his brain, work ethic and hunger to improve are what's fueling his improvement.
GroundedBird
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Oct 18 2017, 01:31 AM) *
Former Eagles quarterback and TV analyst Ron Jaworski tweeted Tuesday that based on his film study, Wentz has been blitzed on a league-high 39.3 percent of his dropbacks, and has thrown for five touchdowns and no interceptions in those situations.

Thanks for the information. Interesting stat, but what I want to know is the number of completions under pressure and the number of converted first downs. Did he cite that? If not, how can we find that out?

Why is this important?

for example, taking it to the absurd, if he had 400 attempts and was blitzed on 160 of them and only made 5 completions (all for touchdowns) then he missed on 155, indicating that he should continue to be blitzed. (I know that isn't the case, just saying that touchdowns are only part of the analysis.)
Joegrane
I recall seeing stats about the Carolina game. He was less effective when blitzed in that game.

QUOTE (GroundedBird @ Oct 18 2017, 12:46 PM) *
Thanks for the information. Interesting stat, but what I want to know is the number of completions under pressure and the number of converted first downs. Did he cite that? If not, how can we find that out?

Why is this important?

for example, taking it to the absurd, if he had 400 attempts and was blitzed on 160 of them and only made 5 completions (all for touchdowns) then he missed on 155, indicating that he should continue to be blitzed. (I know that isn't the case, just saying that touchdowns are only part of the analysis.)

CT_Eagle
I hope they keep it up.

I have little doubt that Wentz learns a little every time he sees a blitz. Each blitz makes him a little better. The Eagles should be thanking the opposition for this valuable on the job training.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (GroundedBird @ Oct 18 2017, 01:46 PM) *

Why is this important?

Considering he has a passer rating of 130 on third down, and that is the most often blitzed down, I would think he is doing pretty good overall. He is also throwing for over 10 yards per attempt on 3rd, another indicator of how well he plays in that situation.
Joegrane
Recall all the talk last year about dink and dunk passing by CW.

QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Oct 18 2017, 02:05 PM) *
Considering he has a passer rating of 130 on third down, and that is the most often blitzed down, I would think he is doing pretty good overall. He is also throwing for over 10 yards per attempt on 3rd, another indicator of how well he plays in that situation.

GroundedBird
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Oct 18 2017, 03:05 PM) *

That's great news! Where is that published?
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (GroundedBird @ Oct 19 2017, 10:07 AM) *
That's great news! Where is that published?

Philly.com...daily news...Les Bowen story

Unfortunately you now have to subscribe, and given how well this team is doing I ponied up $2 a week to get a Sunday paper delivered and have unlimited online access.
Zero
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Oct 19 2017, 01:06 PM) *
Philly.com...daily news...Les Bowen story

Unfortunately you now have to subscribe, and given how well this team is doing I ponied up $2 a week to get a Sunday paper delivered and have unlimited online access.

You can get a defined number of articles for free then you have to pay. I get it, but refuse to pay.
nephillymike
One of my biggest concern is our RBs matador impersonation on blitz pickups.

They really struggle and that's the franchise they're protecting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.