Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Serious Theater Developing in Dallas...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
D Rock
Let’s see if we can have a conversation that wont get sent to the G&G...

In response to Pence’s show in Indy this past week, and after taking a knee with his team a few weeks ago in response to trumps ‘sons of bitches’ comment... Jerry has thrown down an ultimatum to his team that anybody who doesn’t stand for the anthem, “will not play.”

However you feel about the greater discussion is irrelevant here. I’m asking your thoughts about what the players might be thinking leading up to this Sunday. I caught a story about some major organized labor group (forget which) filing suit against Jones for violating labor laws. And Schefter was on ESPN saying the perception is “the administration is trolling the league.”

This should be fascinating.
nephillymike
I got my popcorn ready.......
Zero
Regardless of where one stands politically on this, I always thought an employer could dictate some rules to the employees. I don't think appearance is one of them, even though the NFL does that regularly with impunity, but I wonder how this will flow. Judges aren't always the best gauge, being human they may interpret law by their moral compass. I wonder what a major employer would say if an employee spoke out to customers regarding his/her political opinions. I suspect Mr. Facelift is within his legal right to dictate that his employees hold their politics for their personal time.

On the subject of appearance, years ago during a trip to Disney World one of the employees at the park explained that she was not an employee but a "character." She told us this was a way for Disney to be legally able to dictate their appearance: hair, body art and piercings, etc.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 11 2017, 05:29 AM) *
Regardless of where one stands politically on this, I always thought an employer could dictate some rules to the employees. I don't think appearance is one of them, even though the NFL does that regularly with impunity, but I wonder how this will flow. Judges aren't always the best gauge, being human they may interpret law by their moral compass. I wonder what a major employer would say if an employee spoke out to customers regarding his/her political opinions. I suspect Mr. Facelift is within his legal right to dictate that his employees hold their politics for their personal time.

This has nothing to do with politics.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 11 2017, 06:18 AM) *
Let’s see if we can have a conversation that wont get sent to the G&G...

In response to Pence’s show in Indy this past week, and after taking a knee with his team a few weeks ago in response to trumps ‘sons of bitches’ comment... Jerry has thrown down an ultimatum to his team that anybody who doesn’t stand for the anthem, “will not play.”

However you feel about the greater discussion is irrelevant here. I’m asking your thoughts about what the players might be thinking leading up to this Sunday. I caught a story about some major organized labor group (forget which) filing suit against Jones for violating labor laws. And Schefter was on ESPN saying the perception is “the administration is trolling the league.”

This should be fascinating.

A few comments and I too will keep the politics out of it.

I have no idea what the players are thinking or what they may do in light of Jones' statement.

There is a huge disconnect between the players and a significant percentage of the population. The players are making a stand (or kneel) to draw attention to primarily the police shootings. Many in the population at large do not have a problem with the message and even agree that there is an issue that needs to be addressed. However, they do have a problem with the way the message is being delivered. They perceive kneeling during the anthem as being disrespectful. Kaepernick did not help in this regard when he specifically brought the flag into the debate when he started his protests.

Jerry Jones issued a threat that he may not be able to back up. What is he going to do if all 53 Cowboys take a knee? How about if it is just Prescott, Elliot and Bryant taking a knee? Is he really in a position to enforce his policy?

I believe the suit was filed by the NAACP. Don't quote me on that. I quickly went through an article on this and I may have the organization wrong. In any event, I do not think the suit will get very far. The Supreme Court has already ruled in the past that the first amendment does not cover you in the workplace. In short, you do not have the right to protest on your employer's dime.
HobbEs
I heard on ESPN (so take it for what it's worth) last week that the principle of Kaepernick taking a knee was not to protest the flag, but to say that we as a country are not living up to the flag's standards. Taken in that context I totally agree. What happened afterwards is a media shit storm.

Also, is there any clear cut winner in this mess? Yes, there is: The media. And now that the White House is involved this is a reporter's wet dream.

Just my $0.02.
Dreagon
Don't forget, there are also local considerations involved.

Jerry owns a team with one of the more conservative fanbases, which is probably what brought on that attempt of his in Arizona to pointedly make it not about the flag. Personally I thought the idea was doomed... and sure enough, all it created was an image of him kneeling with all his players. Guess how well that went over down here. He is a businessman first, and he now has ticket holders to appease.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Oct 11 2017, 02:34 PM) *
I heard on ESPN (so take it for what it's worth) last week that the principle of Kaepernick taking a knee was not to protest the flag, but to say that we as a country are not living up to the flag's standards. Taken in that context I totally agree. What happened afterwards is a media shit storm.

Also, is there any clear cut winner in this mess? Yes, there is: The media. And now that the White House is involved this is a reporter's wet dream.

Just my $0.02.

This is a direct quote from Kapernick:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color"

Very had to reconcile that statement with "the principle of Kaepernick taking a knee was not to protest the flag".
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Oct 11 2017, 08:35 AM) *
Don't forget, there are also local considerations involved.

Jerry owns a team with one of the more conservative fanbases, which is probably what brought on that attempt of his in Arizona to pointedly make it not about the flag. Personally I thought the idea was doomed... and sure enough, all it created was an image of him kneeling with all his players. Guess how well that went over down here. He is a businessman first, and he now has ticket holders to appease.

The irony about Texans is that they are outraged by Kaepernick's "disrespect for the flag" but loudly declare their desire to secede. What a bunch of frauds.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 11 2017, 03:00 PM) *
The irony about Texans is that they are outraged by Kaepernick's "disrespect for the flag" but loudly declare their desire to secede. What a bunch of frauds.

And there goes the civility in the thread. Congrats McNabbulous.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 11 2017, 09:08 AM) *
And there goes the civility in the thread. Congrats McNabbulous.

How isn't that civil? I live here. It's a fact.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 11 2017, 03:13 PM) *

Calling the population of an entire state "frauds" is uncivil. If you cannot see that, there is really nothing more to say.
D Rock
Pointing to obvious and clear hypocrisy is only seen as a loss of civility by hypocrites. That’s not politics. That’s logic, which ionically is another concept lost on the many Texans.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 11 2017, 09:18 AM) *
Calling the population of an entire state "frauds" is uncivil. If you cannot see that, there is really nothing more to say.

No, just the ones that criticize Kaepernick in one breath, while proclaiming a desire to secede in another. It's about 60% of them.

And I've earned the right to do so by living in said state for 8 years.
D Rock
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 11 2017, 02:39 PM) *
This is a direct quote from Kapernick:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color"

Very had to reconcile that statement with "the principle of Kaepernick taking a knee was not to protest the flag".

No. It’s not hard to reconcile that at all. There are shades of grey in the real world.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 11 2017, 03:19 PM) *
Pointing to obvious and clear hypocrisy is only seen as a loss of civility by hypocrites. That’s not politics. That’s logic, which ionically is another concept lost on the many Texans.

You two are better than this. It was a broad characterization meant to be an insult. The population of Texas is not a monolith. There are plenty of Texans who support the message behind the protests. Among those supporters are those that do not like the method being used. There are Texans that disagree with the message and the method. The majority of Texans do not want to leave the union. Why paint the entire state with a single broad brush?
D Rock
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 11 2017, 03:29 PM) *
You two are better than this. It was a broad characterization meant to be an insult. The population of Texas is not a monolith. There are plenty of Texans who support the message behind the protests. Among those supporters are those that do not like the method being used. There are Texans that disagree with the message and the method. The majority of Texans do not want to leave the union. Why paint the entire state with a single broad brush?

I didn’t realize you were such an authority on Texans. They voted for Rick Perry. Nuff said.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 11 2017, 03:27 PM) *
No. It’s not hard to reconcile that at all. There are shades of grey in the real world.

Your opinion is a shade as well as mine.

Spend some time listening to what those opposed to the protests are saying and you will find a lot of people who support the message but not the delivery. They are one shade of the grey you reference.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 11 2017, 03:32 PM) *
I didn’t realize you were such an authority on Texans.

It takes an authority to realize that a population consisting of millions of people will have a wide array of views on a controversial topic? Who knew?
D Rock
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 11 2017, 03:32 PM) *
Your opinion is a shade as well as mine.

Spend some time listening to what those opposed to the protests are saying and you will find a lot of people who support the message but not the delivery. They are one shade of the grey you reference.

I hear that. But in a free society, we don’t get to chose how others exercise their rights.
D Rock
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 11 2017, 03:34 PM) *
It takes an authority to realize that a population consisting of millions of people will have a wide array of views on a controversial topic? Who knew?

So too a group of millions will inevitably show its collective nature over the course of generations. Imagine that.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 11 2017, 09:29 AM) *

Literally 60% of Texans said they wanted to secede if Hillary was elected president.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 11 2017, 03:36 PM) *
So too a group of millions will inevitably show its collective nature over the course of generations. Imagine that.

And applying a broad brush will still be inaccurate no matter how many generations pass.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 11 2017, 03:37 PM) *
Literally 60% of Texans said they wanted to secede if Hillary was elected president.

For the sake argument let's just use your 60% number. Are the other 40% frauds? That is what you posted.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 11 2017, 03:34 PM) *
I hear that. But in a free society, we don’t get to chose how others exercise their rights.

We live in a free society and we as a society routinely chose how others exercise their rights.

Using the subject of this thread, private employees do not have the right to free speech when on company time.

Using another example, I as a landowner do not have the right to develop my land as I see fit if it has been declared a wetland.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 11 2017, 09:40 AM) *
For the sake argument let's just use your 60% number. Are the other 40% frauds? That is what you posted.

I also said this...

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 11 2017, 09:20 AM) *
No, just the ones that criticize Kaepernick in one breath, while proclaiming a desire to secede in another. It's about 60% of them.

And I've earned the right to do so by living in said state for 8 years.

By living here, I know plenty of Texans that don't think that way. Many of which are Cowboy fans. So I've been pretty clear on the point.

My intention wasn't to strike up some huge drama with that post. It was to call the hypocritical frauds for what they are.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 11 2017, 03:46 PM) *
I also said this...

By living here, I know plenty of Texans that don't think that way. Many of which are Cowboy fans. So I've been pretty clear on the point.

My intention wasn't to strike up some huge drama with that post. It was to call the hypocritical frauds for what they are.

You said that after my initial response to you making your blanket statement. Forgive me for not foreseeing that you would further broaden your position in subsequent posts.

BTW, I did a quick search on your 60% number. The polls I found stated that 60% of Trump supporters would favor TX seceding if Clinton won. That is not the same thing as 60% of Texans. Perhaps there is another poll that I am unaware of. The one I found specifically stated Trump supporters.
Pila
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 11 2017, 12:21 PM) *
This has nothing to do with politics.

Of course it's about politics. In fact, it's political and racial purely.

There's a deepening divide on both of those fronts, and it is manifesting itself almost in perfect, poetic metaphor in this scenario.

Many people like me see this development that distinctly begun clarifying as a nationalistic movement, which spawns real life concerns for those of us who are minorities. None clearer than when the President drew the line in the sand. Not that there was a whole lot of doubt to many of us, but that was a declaration lest anyone still be confused.

I'm not sure it's irreversible now, really.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 11 2017, 09:50 AM) *
You said that after my initial response to you making your blanket statement. Forgive me for not foreseeing that you would further broaden your position in subsequent posts.

Well, if you couldn't deduce that I wasn't calling 100% of Texans frauds, given that I live here...then I'm not sure how I can help you with this one.
BTW, I did a quick search on your 60% number. The polls I found stated that 60% of Trump supporters would favor TX seceding if Clinton won. That is not the same thing as 60% of Texans. Perhaps there is another poll that I am unaware of. The one I found specifically stated Trump supporters.

But fair point, 60% of Trump supporters. Whatever the number. Those are the hypocrites I'm referring to. And there is a significant number of them. That would be 2.8M people given the circumstances, which is greater than the population of 14 states.
Phits
My issue with the kneeling protest is that the attention has moved from the actual cause. The chosen method of protest has offended a number of citizens, as a result, the media has allowed the conversation to move from the intended discussion. I feel that Kap's absence is cowardly. As the harbinger for the protest, he has (seemingly) taken a backseat and allowed the shitstorm to unravel without providing a voice for its direction.

There are a number of people that have decided to hitch their trailer to the discussion simply because they have disdain for #45. It's annoying because the actual discussion that is necessary is STILL not happening.

Just my 2 cents.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Pila @ Oct 11 2017, 09:52 AM) *
Of course it's about politics. In fact, it's political and racial purely.

It's only political if one side is taking responsibility for the oppression and murders of unarmed citizens. Lets not forget what presidency these "protests" started under.

This is about systemic oppression, politics aside.
Pila
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 11 2017, 03:02 PM) *
My issue with the kneeling protest is that the attention has moved from the actual cause. The chosen method of protest has offended a number of citizens, as a result, the media has allowed the conversation to move from the intended discussion. I feel that Kap's absence is cowardly. As the harbinger for the protest, he has (seemingly) taken a backseat and allowed the shitstorm to unravel without providing a voice for its direction.

There are a number of people that have decided to hitch their trailer to the discussion simply because they have disdain for #45. It's annoying because the actual discussion that is necessary is STILL not happening.

Just my 2 cents.

No, I think it has. Malcolm Jenkins certainly has not let it die. He brings it up at every opportunity in his interviews. But you are also correct - this has spawned to much more. It has served to clarify a political movement with racial and cultural undertakings.
Pila
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 11 2017, 03:02 PM) *
It's only political if one side is taking responsibility for the oppression and murders of unarmed citizens. Lets not forget what presidency these "protests" started under.

This is about systemic oppression, politics aside.

I'm not sure that would be the only way to make it political. I don't see the two to be mutually exclusive. The suppression certainly seems to be manifesting itself politically.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 11 2017, 03:01 PM) *
Well, if you couldn't deduce that I wasn't calling 100% of Texans frauds, given that I live here...then I'm not sure how I can help you with this one.

How could I in light of your 2nd response to me? You made no attempt to clarify your first statement and actually doubled-down on it.
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 11 2017, 02:13 PM) *

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 11 2017, 03:01 PM) *
But fair point, 60% of Trump supporters. Whatever the number. Those are the hypocrites I'm referring to. And there is a significant number of them. That would be 2.8M people given the circumstances, which is greater than the population of 14 states.

Wether or not this number is greater than the population of 14 states is irrelevant. 60% of Trump supporters in TX is well below half of the population of TX. This right here is a perfect example of why broad brush statements such as the one you made should be avoided. Your statement, according to the number you provided, covered 2.8 million people out of a population of 28.4 million. That is 10% of the population.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Pila @ Oct 11 2017, 11:10 AM) *
No, I think it has. Malcolm Jenkins certainly has not let it die. He brings it up at every opportunity in his interviews. But you are also correct - this has spawned to much more. It has served to clarify a political movement with racial and cultural undertakings.

I really like Phits' take on this. The discussion, an important one was/is hijacked because the original messenger is a fraud. He has made a bad situation worse. Add to that the media twisting the actions for their own profits. They don't cover the issue as much as the action. The players don't help because, much like religion, people don't like something shoved down their throats. Then there is the hypocrisy of players protesting for one issue while ignoring other, more glaring, destructive issues currently affecting the inner city. How one can protest so vehemently for the actions of a few bad cops and painting the entire police enforcement in doing so while ignoring what is happening in a city like Chicago is mindboggling to most people or at least those with common sense.

That is the real problem and the real disconnect.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 11 2017, 04:20 PM) *
I really like Phits' take on this. The discussion, an important one was/is hijacked because the original messenger is a fraud. He has made a bad situation worse. Add to that the media twisting the actions for their own profits. They don't cover the issue as much as the action. The players don't help because, much like religion, people don't like something shoved down their throats. Then there is the hypocrisy of players protesting for one issue while ignoring other, more glaring, destructive issues currently affecting the inner city. How one can protest so vehemently for the actions of a few bad cops and painting the entire police enforcement in doing so while ignoring what is happening in a city like Chicago is mindboggling to most people or at least those with common sense.

Agreed.

This is exactly what I was referring to when I referenced a disconnect in my first post in this thread.

If I had to make a guess I would estimate that roughly 90% of the coverage over the last couple of weeks has focused on who was kneeling, Pence leaving and Trump's statement. The remaining 10% has focused on the actual reasons behind the protests.
Pila
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 11 2017, 03:20 PM) *

The protesting of one issue doesn't negate any other issues that exist. That's a false dichtomy. If I'm concerned about cancer it doesn't mean i'm not concerned about heart disease too.

I'd also propose that at the root of much of the disenfranchisement of the inner cities lie in past policies that are being terrifyingly reinforced today, i.e. the militarization of the police force, the war on drugs, and that of search and seizure programs once thought of as offensive to the very idea of a free society.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 11 2017, 10:16 AM) *
Wether or not this number is greater than the population of 14 states is irrelevant. 60% of Trump supporters in TX is well below half of the population of TX. This right here is a perfect example of why broad brush statements such as the one you made should be avoided. Your statement, according to the number you provided, covered 2.8 million people out of a population of 28.4 million. That is 10% of the population.

I was very clearly talking about the Texans that want to secede. As a Texan who doesn't want to secede, naturally I wouldn't be talking about all Texans.

So if it's 10% of the population (a greater portion of the adult population), my point still stands. Those that vocally object to Kaepernick, but have desires to secede are frauds. As are those that drive around with Confederate flags on their car and talk about disrespecting the US Flag.

You can get hung up on the semantics all you want.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 11 2017, 10:20 AM) *
Then there is the hypocrisy of players protesting for one issue while ignoring other, more glaring, destructive issues currently affecting the inner city.

You don't get to decide what is important to people. This isn't about the inner city.

CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 11 2017, 03:37 PM) *
I was very clearly talking about the Texans that want to secede. As a Texan who doesn't want to secede, naturally I wouldn't be talking about all Texans.

So if it's 10% of the population (a greater portion of the adult population), my point still stands. Those that vocally object to Kaepernick, but have desires to secede are frauds. As are those that drive around with Confederate flags on their car and talk about disrespecting the US Flag.

You can get hung up on the semantics all you want.

You may have thought you communicated clearly, but you did not. You used a broad brush to paint Texans as frauds. As it turns out, your statement covered roughly 10% of the population of TX. You can either recognize that making such broad brush statements is not an effective way of communicating your opinion or you can carry on making assumptions about how others will receive those broad brush statements. For me, I try to avoid them for the reasons I stated.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 11 2017, 10:50 AM) *
You may have thought you communicated clearly, but you did not.

No, I thought people were capable of critical thinking. My mistake. Won't let it happen again.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 11 2017, 04:04 PM) *
No, I thought people were capable of critical thinking. My mistake. Won't let it happen again.

I mean this in all honesty. You should take a public speaking course that focuses on the challenges speakers have clearly communicating what is in their head to their audience. That class was probably one of the most useful classes I ever took in college. It was eye opening regarding the number of varied opinions received from a group of 25 people regarding what you thought was clearly said to them.

Of course such a course would be useless if you are too pompous and arrogant to realize that the fault is not with the audience when it comes to miscommunication.
JeeQ
It'd be a shame if a Dallas player knelt on Sunday because I'd really hate to have to respect a Dallas Cowboys player
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 11 2017, 11:14 AM) *
I mean this in all honesty. You should take a public speaking course that focuses on the challenges speakers have clearly communicating what is in their head to their audience. That class was probably one of the most useful classes I ever took in college. It was eye opening regarding the number of varied opinions received from a group of 25 people regarding what you thought was clearly said to them.

Of course such a course would be useless if you are too pompous and arrogant to realize that the fault is not with the audience when it comes to miscommunication.

I very clearly clarified my point in my 3rd post. "No, just the ones that criticize Kaepernick in one breath, while proclaiming a desire to secede in another. It's about 60% of them."

And yet here we still are. So have you considered the possibility that you're hung up on something very stupid?

As I said, I was very clearly talking about Texans that want to secede. I live in Texas, so it would make no sense for me to be painting all Texans with a very broad brush, because I and most of the people I know don't fit into that category. I don't know how more clearly I can articulate this to you.

So yes, at this point I believe this is not a communication issue. You either suffer from critical thinking issues or are being intentionally obtuse. You can try to find a college course related to either of those disciplines if you wish.

CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 11 2017, 05:43 PM) *
I very clearly clarified my point in my 3rd post. "No, just the ones that criticize Kaepernick in one breath, while proclaiming a desire to secede in another. It's about 60% of them."

And yet here we still are. So have you considered the possibility that you're hung up on something very stupid?

As I said, I was very clearly talking about Texans that want to secede. I live in Texas, so it would make no sense for me to be painting all Texans with a very broad brush, because I and most of the people I know don't fit into that category. I don't know how more clearly I can articulate this to you.

So yes, at this point I believe this is not a communication issue. You either suffer from critical thinking issues or are being intentionally obtuse. You can try to find a college course related to either of those disciplines if you wish.

Of course you did. No argument there. I even acknowledged in a reply to you that you did eventually clarify your position in a subsequent post. Did you miss that post? For the 2nd time in this thread I will clarify, I am referencing your first two responses. Why do you keep trying to change the subject to your later posts? It seems you want to ignore the posts that I am discussing. Why is that?

I sense that you are becoming frustrated and angry. Might I suggest you focus on what I am responding to and not what you wish I would respond to? Just to clarify for a 3rd time, I am discussing your first two posts when I make references to broad based statements. Your posts after your first two are actually quite clear and I thank you for eventually getting around to making those clarifications. For your clarification, I would like to add that my comment regarding broad brush statements are not directed to any of your posts after the 2nd one.

Where did you take that course on being obtuse?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 11 2017, 11:57 AM) *
Of course you did.

So why are you still talking about it? It's almost as if you're trying to stir shit up for no good reason.

Like I said, I live in Texas. If I didn't, it would be more likely that I would make incorrect assumptions about the entire population. As a Texan, I can comfortably speak on behalf of the Texas population.

CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 11 2017, 05:11 PM) *
So why are you still talking about it? It's almost as if you're trying to stir shit up for no good reason.

Like I said, I live in Texas. If I didn't, it would be more likely that I would make incorrect assumptions about the entire population. As a Texan, I can comfortably speak on behalf of the Texas population.

Read the thread. Your the one that keeps bringing it up. Even I after I acknowledged the clarifications you made you responded. Do you remember me posting this?

What was your response?

I acknowledged your clarification but that was not good enough for you.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Pila @ Oct 11 2017, 11:32 AM) *
The protesting of one issue doesn't negate any other issues that exist. That's a false dichtomy. If I'm concerned about cancer it doesn't mean i'm not concerned about heart disease too.

I'd also propose that at the root of much of the disenfranchisement of the inner cities lie in past policies that are being terrifyingly reinforced today, i.e. the militarization of the police force, the war on drugs, and that of search and seizure programs once thought of as offensive to the very idea of a free society.

I disagree. It goes to credibility. "I really care about a few isolated instances of bad cop shootings but I also care about inner city violence that is off the charts but something I am not going to protest in public" is a pretty shitty position if you want John Q, Public to take notice.
The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 11 2017, 11:02 AM) *
Lets not forget what presidency these "protests" started under.

Umm, Obama?

Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 11 2017, 11:38 AM) *
You don't get to decide what is important to people. This isn't about the inner city.

And they don't get to decide how people perceive their message and how much offense is taken....it is a 2 way street.

And to say it is not about the inner city is beyond naive. Talk to cops and find out what areas they are on edge about when making traffic stops and where most crime takes place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.