Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nelson Algholor has something in common w DJax
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
They are the only two receivers in the league with 2 50+ yard TD catches this season...

He had his first drop yesterday, but it was thrown a bit too high, and Wentz went right back to him on the next play for a 17 yard first down catch. As Ray Diddy pointed out, last year after a dropped ball they would not do that, often ignoring him following a dropped ball. But by going right back to him Wentz showed his confidence in him and that speaks volumes about their relationship and building chemistry. The 72 yard TD catch was not right on his numbers either, it was a finger tip catch and how he juked that poor rookie after the catch was a sight to see, all of that and then a tribute to DJax, as Algholor admitted after the game, was beautiful.

I'm not saying he is Canton bound, but he always had the talent, it seemed more like a confidence issue. It appears that is resolved, how can he not be confident after how he has played this year? I am optimistic that, along with Wentz, we are just starting to see what NA can do. I have to think that the new WR coach has played a big role in his improvement, but a lot of it is on Wentz too, because he is the one that feeds him the ball.
Pila
It was clearly a psychological crutch that retarded his catching. He had flashes of athleticism that are rare. If he overcomes that mental handicap, he's going to make up a lot of highlight reel turning defender's legs into cooked spaghetti.
Zero
QUOTE (Pila @ Oct 9 2017, 12:49 PM) *
... he's going to make up a lot of highlight reel turning defender's legs into cooked spaghetti.

jumpclap.gif bowdown.gif
The Franchise
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Oct 9 2017, 12:27 PM) *
I'm not saying he is Canton bound

He's Canton bound. He proved it yesterday.
Pila
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Oct 9 2017, 08:05 PM) *
He's Canton bound. He proved it yesterday.

For your information, the Nelson bandwagon has a sarcasm sensor. It short-circuited with that comment. If you break it again, you're paying for it! Saying nothing of your seat in the bandwagon has been converted into a cooler. humpf
The Franchise
QUOTE (Pila @ Oct 9 2017, 03:15 PM) *
For your information, the Nelson bandwagon has a sarcasm sensor. It short-circuited with that comment. If you break it again, you're paying for it! Saying nothing of your seat in the bandwagon has been converted into a cooler. humpf

laugh.gif

I control who has access to the cooler then.
Joegrane
When looking at the stats NA had a big day and A Jeffrey did not. However one was at times being covered by a rookie safety and the other by a Pro Bowl caliber CB.

This is also why I won't get excited about the Eagles yet. They may have only played one game against an above average team. I'm happy for both the NA and the Eagles but we'll see what happens against playoff caliber opponents.

QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Oct 9 2017, 11:27 AM) *
They are the only two receivers in the league with 2 50+ yard TD catches this season...

He had his first drop yesterday, but it was thrown a bit too high, and Wentz went right back to him on the next play for a 17 yard first down catch. As Ray Diddy pointed out, last year after a dropped ball they would not do that, often ignoring him following a dropped ball. But by going right back to him Wentz showed his confidence in him and that speaks volumes about their relationship and building chemistry. The 72 yard TD catch was not right on his numbers either, it was a finger tip catch and how he juked that poor rookie after the catch was a sight to see, all of that and then a tribute to DJax, as Algholor admitted after the game, was beautiful.

I'm not saying he is Canton bound, but he always had the talent, it seemed more like a confidence issue. It appears that is resolved, how can he not be confident after how he has played this year? I am optimistic that, along with Wentz, we are just starting to see what NA can do. I have to think that the new WR coach has played a big role in his improvement, but a lot of it is on Wentz too, because he is the one that feeds him the ball.

Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Oct 9 2017, 04:27 PM) *
When looking at the stats NA had a big day and A Jeffrey did not. However one was at times being covered by a rookie safety and the other by a Pro Bowl caliber CB.

This is also why I won't get excited about the Eagles yet. They may have only played one game against an above average team. I'm happy for both the NA and the Eagles but we'll see what happens against playoff caliber opponents.

As Ray Didinger put it, they played one of the best teams in the NFL (KC) in their house (one of the loudest) and played them strong, even though they lost. And the loss had a lot to do with the lopsided run/pass ratio, so maybe they are better than you think. Carolina, on a short week on the road will be a real test, especially with both Lane and Fletcher likely out. If they win this one then they are pretty damn good, but even a loss (as long as it is not a blowout) would not necessarily mean they are not. By the time we reach the bye we will know, and I am optimistic we will be in good shape by then.
Joegrane
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Oct 9 2017, 04:50 PM) *
As Ray Didinger put it, they played one of the best teams in the NFL (KC) in their house (one of the loudest) and played them strong, even though they lost. And the loss had a lot to do with the lopsided run/pass ratio, ..

I respect Ray but don't take too much from the performance vs Andy R. When Andy was here he always played down to teams in the AFC. The close games vs Eagles and Skins may be similar.

so maybe they are better than you think.

You misunderstand me. I'm encouraged by many things: CW's growth, N Agholor, the WRs in general, O Line development, gutsy play by CBs, fill-ins stepping up on STs. I think they *might* be able to win 11 games and even win a playoff game. However, they also may just be a 9 win, borderline playoff-caliber team.

Carolina, on a short week on the road will be a real test, especially with both Lane and Fletcher likely out. If they win this one then they are pretty damn good, but even a loss (as long as it is not a blowout) would not necessarily mean they are not.

I agree with you. They took care of business against the lesser Cardinals team at home. If they are competitive in Carolina while short-handed and on a short-schedule, I'll be satisfied. If the Eagles win, I'll have to change my expectations.

By the time we reach the bye we will know, and I am optimistic we will be in good shape by then.

The Skins will likely be treating the upcoming game in Philly like a playoff game. Hopefully Cox and L Johnson will be 100% for that game.

After the bye the Eagles go to Big D. They may have R Darby back. Wins over the Skins and at Dallas would almost lock up the division.

However based on preseason estimates, would it be very surprising if the Eagles loose three straight to Carolina, Skins and Dallas? If that happens, the expectations go back to 8 or 9 wins.

One Philly sports writer recently said his "over-under" guess for the availability of S Jones is around the first Cowboys game! I'm betting "over" but certainly expect him to be active later this year. I don't expect him to contribute much, and don't expect him to be able to cut aggressively to the left. However if he has most of his straight-line speed, he could be useful for giving another CB a breather occasionally.

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Oct 9 2017, 04:27 PM) *

Zero
I'm really anxious to see Jones play, but I don't want to see it this year if it means he's risking long term health.
Rick
I'm starting to warm up to him. I absolutely LOVED his body language after the drop he had. He looked pissed. The next pass went to him and he looked pissed when he caught it. So much better than before when he'd drop a ball and he'd just look beaten and lost.

Then, his TD catch/run was a thing of beauty. Running with something to prove.

I can say I was wrong about wanting him to be gone.
Zero
Here's a nice view of how that play worked. Kudos to Kelce, another guy lots of people wanted gone.
Nelson Agholor's stack of miscues piled so high last year that coaches decided the Eagles receiver needed to take a step away from football, needed to sit out a game to pull through a wave of frustration and criticism.

And perhaps that low made the highest of Agholor's highs -- a 72-yard touchdown catch Sunday capped by a graceful plunge into the end zone -- especially sweet. But after a 34-7 win over the Cardinals, quarterback Carson Wentz pointed something else out: He never would've been able to connect with Agholor on that big throw had it not been for a stellar effort from another player who endured a rough 2016.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.