Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A QB throws the ball, on average 2.6 seconds after the snap
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
If our line is giving up sacks after 5 seconds, then it's not on them. It's on the QB.

If you want to give him extra time to make plays, that's ok, but you can't criticize the OL for the sacks after that much time.
Eyrie
A fair point, but that then raises the obvious question of why he is still holding the ball after 5 seconds.

The answer is equally obvious, that Wentz can't find an open receiver, but is that due to them not being able to get open, poor play design or simply superior defence?

For now, Seumalo needs to do better in giving Wentz a sixth or even seventh second. I'm generally OK with Wentz's attitude that he can make a play happen rather than look for the immediate dump off or throw away.
D Rock
That was always my biggest criticism of Reid. More than run/pass ratio, it was the propensity for calling plays that took too long for the routes to develop.

Ah, how nice to have Doug bring that joy back. Albeit with NONE of the inventiveness, or intelligent play design.
D Rock
Nm
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Sep 18 2017, 05:40 AM) *
A fair point, but that then raises the obvious question of why he is still holding the ball after 5 seconds.

The answer is equally obvious, that Wentz can't find an open receiver, but is that due to them not being able to get open, poor play design or simply superior defence?

Or is it the QBs inability to see the field. A good example was well illustrated when it was 13-10 and Wentz held the ball before rolling to the left and throwing a poor pass to Ertz. As the TV coverage isolated each receiver in their patterns he clearly misses a wide open Smallwood in the endzone who is on the same side as Ertz, just 15 yards deeper with no one near him. He has to get better.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 18 2017, 09:31 AM) *
Or is it the QBs inability to see the field. A good example was well illustrated when it was 13-10 and Wentz held the ball before rolling to the left and throwing a poor pass to Ertz. As the TV coverage isolated each receiver in their patterns he clearly misses a wide open Smallwood in the endzone who is on the same side as Ertz, just 15 yards deeper with no one near him. He has to get better.

I am nearly positive that on the play in question, they mentioned that Smallwood broke free as Wentz was in the process of rolling left. Additionally, he threw a good ball to Ertz on the play that could have been caught.

I tend to find that Wentz is at his best when the play starts to break down. Any time he starts to move around, it feels like something big is about to happen.

I'm more than comfortable with Wentz improvising. Especially given his ability to avoid pass rushes, break tackles and make plays.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 18 2017, 03:31 PM) *

That's a valid reason as well.

The team has various issues to focus on fixing, but at least these are specific fixable issues compared to last season's general ineptitude.
Birdman420
I mentioned in a subsequent post before this last game that Wentz's first move is to scramble(Panic) when his first/second read appears to be covered.

This is how Wentz feels stepping up in the pocket...

The Franchise
He holds on to the ball way too long sometimes, and yesterday took a couple of sacks that were inexcusable. His main issue is fumbling, another 3 this year already with 1 lost. As mentioned, Pederson is doing him no favors. The o-line was fine yesterday for most of the game.

I like him overall, but he has a ways to go.

Rick
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Sep 18 2017, 02:29 PM) *
He holds on to the ball way too long sometimes, and yesterday took a couple of sacks that were inexcusable. His main issue is fumbling, another 3 this year already with 1 lost. As mentioned, Pederson is doing him no favors. The o-line was fine yesterday for most of the game.

I like him overall, but he has a ways to go.

Good points. He needs to know when to run, when to throw the ball away and when to protect the ball and take a sack.

I'm wondering if the fumbles are also a product a lack of strength in his hands?
The Franchise
QUOTE (Rick @ Sep 18 2017, 02:36 PM) *
I'm wondering if the fumbles are also a product a lack of strength in his hands?

One of his 'fumbles' was just him dropping the ball while in the pocket. He did that a couple times last year too. On the other hand, sometimes when he gets sacked he manages to hold on to the ball during hits where most QB's would fumble. Who knows?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.