Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Kicker; Sturgis on IR
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Joegrane
RF, you called it. They are doing that with Sturgis.

"The Eagles are reportedly placing Sturgis on IR with a plan to bring him back later in the season. Teams are allowed to bring back two players per season from IR after the player misses eight weeks. Sturgis would be available to return Nov. 19 at Dallas. He will be able to practice after six weeks. "
http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-eagl...injured-reserve

Supposedly Jake Elliott from Bengals's PS will be the new kicker.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 11 2017, 09:49 PM) *
In 2012 they allowed one guy to miss up to 8 weeks on IR. This year they changed it to 2. They can go on the IR any time but you can only use it on those 2.

Joegrane
Why would the Eagles select a 5th round draft pick from this year who could not make the team that drafted him?!

The Eagles are playoff hopefuls. They should be looking for a veteran who can at least do some things reliably even if his distance isn't what it used to be.

I want reliability from 40 yards and in.

Elliott made four of seven field goal attempts in the preseason.
Elliott had an up-and-down training camp that saw him miss several field goals, as well as an extra point, ... Elliott was a disaster.
https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/9/...cinnati-memphis

Elliott's scouting report
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jake-elliott?id=2558172
" Simply never misses chip shot kicks making every attempt inside of 30 yards for his career."

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 12 2017, 02:31 PM) *
RF, you called it. They are doing that with Sturgis.

"The Eagles are reportedly placing Sturgis on IR with a plan to bring him back later in the season. Teams are allowed to bring back two players per season from IR after the player misses eight weeks. Sturgis would be available to return Nov. 19 at Dallas. He will be able to practice after six weeks. "
http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-eagl...injured-reserve

Supposedly Jake Elliott from Bengals's PS will be the new kicker.
nephillymike
I agree.

It was an odd choice.
Zero
Maybe this season is more about building. Winning has to be a part of the process, but maybe they think this guy could be better than Sturgis given live game action experience. To me, Roseman seems to be more focused on the future than he is the present even though he obviously isn't ignoring the impact winning has on building a consistent contender.

Just a thought.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 13 2017, 05:07 AM) *
Maybe this season is more about building. Winning has to be a part of the process, but maybe they think this guy could be better than Sturgis given live game action experience. To me, Roseman seems to be more focused on the future than he is the present even though he obviously isn't ignoring the impact winning has on building a consistent contender.

Just a thought.

It would be hard for me to think that adding another season without a playoff win to his resume would be acceptable to him or anyone else in that building. But then again, the NFL is idiot proof and teams rake in the money no matter how subpar their performance may be.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 13 2017, 06:17 AM) *
It would be hard for me to think that adding another season without a playoff win to his resume would be acceptable to him or anyone else in that building. But then again, the NFL is idiot proof and teams rake in the money no matter how subpar their performance may be.

Why is it a presumption that a rookie kicker for part of the season means no playoffs? I'm not arguing for it, I just don't understand why it's an absolute negative.
Pila
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 13 2017, 11:25 AM) *
Why is it a presumption that a rookie kicker for part of the season means no playoffs? I'm not arguing for it, I just don't understand why it's an absolute negative.

A competent kicker is usually the difference between winning a tough game and losing it.

I think this will mean more 4th down attempts until FG range is closer to 30-yard ranges instead of the usual 40s.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 12 2017, 10:50 PM) *
Why would the Eagles select a 5th round draft pick from this year who could not make the team that drafted him?!

It's far more odd that the Bengals would sign Bullock in January, then draft Elliott in the 5th round. Of course one of them wasn't going to be on the 53 man roster. The fact that they kept him on the practice squad is enough for me - NO other team has a kicker on their practice squad. He's kicked a 56 yarder before, and seems to be pretty solid. His issues supposedly were kickoff distance and hang time, and consistency from mid-range. You would think they would sign a veteran free agent as a temporary replacement, but maybe they feel he has a chance to be the future?
Joegrane
Zero and Franchise, what you write about the future makes sense.

You don't bring in a rookie 5th rounder to be a temporary solution. You bring him in as a tryout for a long term job.

Howie is only a couple of years into *his* post-Chip rebuild. So I bet Howie is mostly focused on the future.

However, the team has a number of veterans at or near the end of their careers--Sproles, Celek, Peters, etc. Some of those who were FA acquisitions may have come here from teams that did not have playoff aspirations. There may be pressure from those veterans to give them an opportunity to make the playoffs.

So the 1-year deals give the Eagles the opportunity to make the playoffs, but there are few long term deals keeping them from building for the future. Even some of the guys on short term deals could be pieces for the long term.

I think Howie and company have done a remarkable job these past two years.

QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 13 2017, 05:07 AM) *

Just a thought.

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Sep 13 2017, 12:56 PM) *
It's far more odd that the Bengals would sign Bullock in January, then draft Elliott in the 5th round. Of course one of them wasn't going to be on the 53 man roster. The fact that they kept him on the practice squad is enough for me - NO other team has a kicker on their practice squad. He's kicked a 56 yarder before, and seems to be pretty solid. His issues supposedly were kickoff distance and hang time, and consistency from mid-range. You would think they would sign a veteran free agent as a temporary replacement, but maybe they feel he has a chance to be the future?

nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 13 2017, 05:25 AM) *

I was responding to your point about building for the future, as if it was Ok to go through growing pains with a younger K than a veteran.

phillyfan4ever
If you look at Elliot's college career stats he was only at 77% (81 of 104). However if you remove his second year his percentage jumps up to 83.33%, which is close, to Cody Parky's percentage when he arrived to Philadelphia (73.6%). Maybe Flipp sees something in him that can be corrected easily. His draft profile stats that the jab step is short and not quick, can that be corrected ? If so we could have a young kicker for this year and many more to come.
phillyfan4ever
If you look at Elliot's college career stats he was only at 77% (81 of 104). However if you remove his second year his percentage jumps up to 83.33%, which is close, to Cody Parky's percentage when he arrived to Philadelphia (73.6%). Maybe Flipp sees something in him that can be corrected easily. His draft profile stats that the jab step is short and not quick, can that be corrected ? If so we could have a young kicker for this year and many more to come.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.