Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The good and the concerns in a nice win
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
The good:

The pass rush
The blitz packages
The ST being much better than the preseason.
Kendricks hit
Robinsons play
Jenkins as nickel back and coverage on the TE.
Ertz

The concerns
Darby and Peters injuries.
Wentz accuracy - despite great escapability, he was not accurate enough. The deep pass is subpar.
The team of Blount, Smallwood, Sproles and this OL looks subpar. Smallwood didn't look good.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 10 2017, 05:19 PM) *
The good:

The pass rush
The blitz packages
Kendricks hit
Robinsons play
Ertz

The concerns
Wentz accuracy - despite great escapability, he was not accurate enough. The deep pass is subpar.
The team of Blount, Smallwood, Sproles and this OL looks subpar. Smallwood didn't look good.

His accuracy looked like it was off but he ended the day 26-39 (66%), 307 yards, 2 tds to 1 int for a 96.8 rating. If this is a bad day for him I will take it. biggrin.gif
Pila
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 10 2017, 10:19 PM) *
The good:

The pass rush
The blitz packages
Kendricks hit
Robinsons play
Ertz

The concerns

Practically no QB hits on every long ball. No concerns there. However, he keeps making routine throws behind the line of scrimmage incredibly difficult for his targets. It's very weird.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 10 2017, 05:19 PM) *

Seriously? I thought the OL was very weak on run blocking. Defense was in the backfield quick and often. They did a decent job of pass pro.
mcnabbulous
I don't think Wentz is a super accurate thrower. I think that's just a reality we need to deal with. His strengths are composure, athleticism, toughness and making plays. Those are good enough to win lots of games.

From what I can see, he's more consistently accurate than Donnie though. So that's a positive.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 10 2017, 06:12 PM) *
I don't think Wentz is a super accurate thrower. I think that's just a reality we need to deal with. His strengths are composure, athleticism, toughness and making plays. Those are good enough to win lots of games.

From what I can see, he's more consistently accurate than Donnie though. So that's a positive.
I don't think it's uncommon for rookies to need work on accuracy. I hope he gets better as the season progresses.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 10 2017, 05:14 PM) *
I don't think it's uncommon for rookies to need work on accuracy. I hope he gets better as the season progresses.

I thought he was more than acceptable today. Our OL is a much bigger concern than Wentz's accuracy, IMO.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 10 2017, 06:17 PM) *
I thought he was more than acceptable today. Our OL is a much bigger concern than Wentz's accuracy, IMO.
I agree. I was really disappointed in the run blocking today.
The Franchise
Good:

-Wentz is very good in motion, which is important because he's going to be running around a lot this year.
-Our front 7 is as good right now as in some of our JJ defenses. They look very good.

Bad:

-Our OL.
-Our secondary was ok, but it's clear they won't be against good teams, especially if our line can't get pressure.

Ugly:

-Those fucking WR screens, most notably the first play of our drive with the lead and 5 mins left.

Overall no issues with the gameplan, I would like to see Blount used on a few screen passes to get him in the open. More than a couple times when he was in the backfield it seemed like everyone in the stadium knew a run up the middle was coming, and he still did his job for the most part. Mix it up with him. Also, after a slow start to his career Agholor seems headed for Canton.

Also, pick Ertz for your Draft Kings TE while he's still cheap. Totally under the radar. wink.gif
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 10 2017, 05:57 PM) *
His accuracy looked like it was off but he ended the day 26-39 (66%), 307 yards, 2 tds to 1 int for a 96.8 rating. If this is a bad day for him I will take it. biggrin.gif

I hear ya. Wentz is the least of my concerns.
Reality Fan
Wentz was bizarre today. He is incredibly composed and mobile but he made some terrible throws then followed them up with some great throws. Maybe it is just a lack of game time in the preseason. He missed several deep balls that were sure TDs but made a bunch of intermediate throws. Torrey Smith toasted Norman several times.

Overall I thought Wentz looked pretty good. His deep ball needs work. Comparing him to McNabb his intermediate throws are generally much better but McNabb threw terrific deep balls. Both seem to struggle with throws behind the line. That being said Wentz is still a youngster and his composure is years beyond what should be expected. I get the feeling that he will settle in once he gets more game time with his new WRs.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 10 2017, 08:00 PM) *
Wentz was bizarre today. He is incredibly composed and mobile but he made some terrible throws then followed them up with some great throws. Maybe it is just a lack of game time in the preseason. He missed several deep balls that were sure TDs but made a bunch of intermediate throws. Torrey Smith toasted Norman several times.

Overall I thought Wentz looked pretty good. His deep ball needs work. Comparing him to McNabb his intermediate throws are generally much better but McNabb threw terrific deep balls. Both seem to struggle with throws behind the line. That being said Wentz is still a youngster and his composure is years beyond what should be expected. I get the feeling that he will settle in once he gets more game time with his new WRs.

Agree with all of this. The intermediate stuff was great. The deep ball stuff could well be timing and chemistry.
Joegrane
It feels like a nice win but it wasn't nearly that nice.

Sure, a W against the Skins has been quite rare in recent years.

Road Ws have been rare.

However if the ball that Mills intercepted was a foot lower, the Skins would have had 1st and goal in position to take a lead.

If the controversial call at the end goes the other way the Eagles don't get the Cox TD and maybe the Skins drive down for a winning FG.

This was a closer game than the score indicates.

Furthermore the loss of Darby is a big blow to their playoff hopes. Early speculation is that he won't be back this year.

How is Sidney Jones feeling? ; )

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 10 2017, 04:19 PM) *
The good:

The pass rush
The blitz packages
Kendricks hit
Robinsons play
Ertz

The concerns

nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 10 2017, 08:54 PM) *
It feels like a nice win but it wasn't nearly that nice.

Sure, a W against the Skins has been quite rare in recent years.

Road Ws have been rare.

However if the ball that Mills intercepted was a foot lower, the Skins would have had 1st and goal in position to take a lead.

If the controversial call at the end goes the other way the Eagles don't get the Cox TD and maybe the Skins drive down for a winning FG.

This was a closer game than the score indicates.

Furthermore the loss of Darby is a big blow to their playoff hopes. Early speculation is that he won't be back this year.

You are worrying too much.

The Skins needed a lot of help from the zebras to be where they were. Their OL wasn't holding, they were tackling. The had the no call on the grounding. They had the phantom spot early for one that should have been a yard short.

It was a good game. A division road win.

Enjoy it!
The Franchise
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 10 2017, 09:54 PM) *

Probably about the same as Reuben Foster. wink.gif
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 10 2017, 10:52 PM) *
You are worrying too much.

The Skins needed a lot of help from the zebras to be where they were. Their OL wasn't holding, they were tackling. The had the no call on the grounding. They had the phantom spot early for one that should have been a yard short.

It was a good game. A division road win.

Enjoy it!

I agree with the Axis. It's game 1 and there are no trends yet. The way they play KC will be interesting, both from a game plan and coaching perspective and how the players react to what they see all week. The score yesterday was closer than the final made it look, but you're right that the zebras gave them home field calls that were relevant.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 11 2017, 11:03 AM) *
I agree with the Axis. It's game 1 and there are no trends yet. The way they play KC will be interesting, both from a game plan and coaching perspective and how the players react to what they see all week. The score yesterday was closer than the final made it look, but you're right that the zebras gave them home field calls that were relevant.

You're going to need to make a stronger application than that if you want in. If you do, then hopefully domestic mail is faster than international because I'm still waiting on my card.

We were sloppy yesterday, which is fixable, but our OL was poor which hindered the running game and didn't help Wentz accuracy issues. And if Pederson never calls another WR screen all season it will still be one too many. Losing Darby is going to hurt us badly.

I'm sticking with 7-9 despite winning a game that I'd have expected to be a loss.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Sep 11 2017, 01:59 PM) *
You're going to need to make a stronger application than that if you want in. If you do, then hopefully domestic mail is faster than international because I'm still waiting on my card.

We were sloppy yesterday, which is fixable, but our OL was poor which hindered the running game and didn't help Wentz accuracy issues. And if Pederson never calls another WR screen all season it will still be one too many. Losing Darby is going to hurt us badly.

I'm sticking with 7-9 despite winning a game that I'd have expected to be a loss.

I sent it by carrier pigeon. I hope the storm didn't impact his sense of direction!
Joegrane
Sproles played in nearly 50% of the offensive snaps plus STs. They must have used him as a decoy most of the time. I don't see that usage rate continuing.

Smallwood only played in 22% of offensive snaps, lower than I expected. I wonder if getting tackled with a helmet to the balls had something to do with that.

Blount played 34%, roughly what I expected.

Clement was actually active and played on STs

Rick
Defense seems improved but not sure how much. Skins had guys open all day although the CBs did play better so that's something. DL got some pressure and rushed Cousins, which helped our CBs but there were still times where the DL got no pressure and the Skins dropped some passes or Cousins was inaccurate. Hoping this improves.

WRs are WAY improved. Hell, eve NA was catching the damn ball! I was like, did someone take his jersey and play for him? I love that ALL of the receivers were battling for the ball. I don't mind throwing 50/50 balls up now that we seem to have guys who actually attack the ball.

Wentz looks better so far. He still needs to work on his accuracy--he should have had at least one of those two deep passes to Smith. But I like the progression I'm seeing from Wentz. If we can get an OL to protect him, I think he may become something special.

Smith is SUPER fast. However, he can't block for his life and him standing there looking at the fumbled ball pissed me off to no end.

ST looks to be good. Have to see what happens with the kicking situation.

I still dislike Pedersen. Looks like he didn't learn anything last season. Still won't run the ball. Run blocking or no--it wasn't as bad as some of you are whining about--you still have to try. Pedersen didn't even try. He still wants to get cute--the lateral we lost was an example, why!!?? They were moving the ball well, don't get cute there.

I didn't see his press conference but I'm guessing he made excuses for his stupid calls rather than admitted he made a mistake.

I still say 8-8 this season.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.