Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not a good review for us who need Pedey to be good
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/9/...tz-ringer-video

Ouch!

Lombardi isn't normally a guy who goes to extremes, as far as I can remember.

Zero
I hope he succeeds and proves all the doubters wrong, but hope is worth about what you have to pay for it. So,let's play a game. If DP is fired, who takes his place? Would the coach be part of this staff or would they start over again?

My gut says he's here now, for a couple of reasons. I think continuity is very important to the new Roseman and to Douglas. They believe Wentz is the cornerstone of the franchise and disrupting his development could be detrimental. Schwartz has HC experience but doesn't have the "emotional intelligence" Lurie likes. I think he may be the logical choice but a close second and my guess for the ultimate choice would be the guy they refused to let go. Reich doesn't seem to have the "it" factor a HC should have, and even though he outranks him, I think another QB coach may be the choice.

DeFilippo has a relationship with Wentz, is regarded as up and coming and is a much more intense personality than Pederson is but apparently isn't as acerbic as Schwartz is. That's one of the things that makes me question Pederson, he doesn't come across as real sharp and Flip has those eyes that will burn a hole in you when he's focused. He comes across as a guy the players would listen to and respect, he knows them and probably would retain some of the basics of the existing system.

I was bummed when Harbaugh left for Baltimore, and I'll feel the same way if DeFilippo leaves.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 4 2017, 08:07 AM) *
I hope he succeeds and proves all the doubters wrong, but hope is worth about what you have to pay for it. So,let's play a game. If DP is fired, who takes his place? Would the coach be part of this staff or would they start over again?

My gut says he's here now, for a couple of reasons. I think continuity is very important to the new Roseman and to Douglas. They believe Wentz is the cornerstone of the franchise and disrupting his development could be detrimental. Schwartz has HC experience but doesn't have the "emotional intelligence" Lurie likes. I think he may be the logical choice but a close second and my guess for the ultimate choice would be the guy they refused to let go. Reich doesn't seem to have the "it" factor a HC should have, and even though he outranks him, I think another QB coach may be the choice.

DeFilippo has a relationship with Wentz, is regarded as up and coming and is a much more intense personality than Pederson is but apparently isn't as acerbic as Schwartz is. That's one of the things that makes me question Pederson, he doesn't come across as real sharp and Flip has those eyes that will burn a hole in you when he's focused. He comes across as a guy the players would listen to and respect, he knows them and probably would retain some of the basics of the existing system.

I was bummed when Harbaugh left for Baltimore, and I'll feel the same way if DeFilippo leaves.

Problem Is, by Lombardi's criteria, DiFliipo is less qualified than Pedey!
Zero
And Andy was also unqualified, I'm sure.
The Franchise
Cool story. Check out Lombardi's 2013 draft as Cleveland's GM. Oh, and he was a consultant for our draft where we took Jon Harris first.

I've been critical of Pederson because what I saw last year was basically Andy's blunders without the regular season wins. I'll be extra sensitive towards those mistakes this year. He could still end up being great, but I'm not overly optimistic. Since he appears to be Howie's perfect little subordinate, his job is also secure for years barring a major meltdown. But regardless of any negatives, saying he's the worst qualified coach ever is just hyperbolic crap designed to get clicks. It worked.
Reality Fan
A good review of Lombardi....how ironic that it was from earlier this year...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/michael-lo...amarcus-russell

Sounds like Doug turned down a dinner invite and Lombardi is exacting his revenge not that many will listen or care.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 4 2017, 12:59 PM) *
A good review of Lombardi....how ironic that it was from earlier this year...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/michael-lo...amarcus-russell

Sounds like Doug turned down a dinner invite and Lombardi is exacting his revenge not that many will listen or care.

Bwah!

Nice job by you guys refuting Lombardi's creds.

Maybe Pedey should read up and quote these when asked about it!
nephillymike
RF's boy to the rescue:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...s-20170905.html

Good points.
samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 4 2017, 10:35 PM) *
Problem Is, by Lombardi's criteria, DiFliipo is less qualified than Pedey!

I can't believe nobody asked this guy before we made any moves!!!1!!1
Joegrane
Pedey was hired to be the anti-Chip, to create the family-like locker room environment that Lurie wants.

The Eagles gave Pedey veteran coordinators and a huge pile of $ to resign their young core. Then they went out and miraculously got a franchise QB and the FAs they needed.

Pedey and his group have done a solid job developing CW, however, I suspect CW's Midwest, work ethic is a major factor there. Coaches can't get a guy to work 12 hour days.

Lurie and his front office people have done a brilliant job restoring this franchise to playoff contention when it was at the brink of collapse at the end of the Chip era. I feared it was going to disintegrate like it did after the Buddy Ryan era.

Hat's off to Mr Lurie and company. We are fortunate to have them in Philly.

Unfortunately we will be stuck with Pedey's limitations as this team becomes a strong playoff contender. He may cost them a championship. However I'll take 10-6 without a championship over what I experienced as a kid growing up in the late 60's and 70's--ten years without a winning record!

QUOTE (samaroo @ Sep 5 2017, 03:22 AM) *
I can't believe nobody asked this guy before we made any moves!!!1!!1

mcnabbulous
Lombardi is irrelevant garbage and his career has gone to shit. Who gives a shit what he has to say?
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 5 2017, 11:09 AM) *
Lombardi is irrelevant garbage and his career has gone to shit. Who gives a shit what he has to say?
Haters and people who think he has a trophy named after him. wink.gif
Pila
I looked it up on the internetz and was humbly surprised to find that I've never been wrong. And it's in my humble opinion that Pederson was pretty good in his first year. He was tactically sound in his game planning, doing well to exploit schemes to maximize talent. He risked unnecessarily in some cases, but all good coaches do that. All his unnecessary risks were the aggressive type. That's the better side of the two - the other being the risk averse, trembling pussy kind. So even in those cases I like the instincts to always go for the kill, even when its completely inadvisable.

I don't know if he'll get us a championship, but so far I like the potential.
nephillymike
One thing I didn't like about Jenkins "praise" of Pedey.

He basically says he's a good coach because he listens to us team leaders.

I hope Pedey know how/when to kick the players in the ass.

I remember Jenkins having his panties in a bunch when Doug criticized the players' effort in that pathetic Cincy game. The good players would have been like shit, we deserved the criticism.

That's a concern.
Joegrane
I agree. Hopefully the veteran OCs and position coaches will help Pedey with that and so many other areas.

That is why I'm not so worried about Pedey. They have surrounded him with veteran coaches. Furthermore there are probably guys such as Dick Vermeil who are just a phone call away.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 5 2017, 08:14 PM) *
One thing I didn't like about Jenkins "praise" of Pedey.

He basically says he's a good coach because he listens to us team leaders.

I hope Pedey know how/when to kick the players in the ass.

I remember Jenkins having his panties in a bunch when Doug criticized the players' effort in that pathetic Cincy game. The good players would have been like shit, we deserved the criticism.

That's a concern.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.