Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Practice Squad Announcements
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Joegrane
This will be a fluid situation but the Eagles released their first list of signings.

I don't remember the Eagles signing such a high percentage of their preseason players in the past.

C/G Josh Andrews

TE Billy Brown

LB Nathan Gerry

T Dillon Gordon

DT Justin Hamilton

RB Byron Marshall

CB C.J. Smith

QB Nate Sudfeld

WR Bryce Treggs

WR Greg Ward
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/art...90-32cb08873504

I had no idea Treggs was eligible. I like him as insurance in the event WR T Smith goes down.

I'd prefer another OT instead of WR G Ward.

Anyone surprised that the Rugby playing TE with good size and speed was not included?

QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 3 2017, 04:27 PM) *
Aside from Sudfeld and Andrews, these were all players I had hoped would be Eagles in some way. I feel a little better now. Then again, if nobody picked them up maybe we're over rating them. ohmy.gif [indent][/indent]
Joegrane
I don't think the Eagles claimed anyone off of waivers. They must like their list of 53.

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 3 2017, 08:21 PM) *
This will be a fluid situation but the Eagles released their first list of signings.

I don't remember the Eagles signing such a high percentage of their preseason players in the past.

C/G Josh Andrews

TE Billy Brown

LB Nathan Gerry

T Dillon Gordon

DT Justin Hamilton

RB Byron Marshall

CB C.J. Smith

QB Nate Sudfeld

WR Bryce Treggs

WR Greg Ward
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/art...90-32cb08873504

I had no idea Treggs was eligible. I like him as insurance in the event WR T Smith goes down.

I'd prefer another OT instead of WR G Ward.

Anyone surprised that the Rugby playing TE with good size and speed was not included?

nephillymike
Yes it seems that we do, and that they liked the guys we had in camp that we signed to the PS.

The flip side was that nobody else like the guys we exposed to sign them to their PS.

That could be an issue, but we'll see.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 4 2017, 08:17 AM) *
Yes it seems that we do, and that they liked the guys we had in camp that we signed to the PS.

The flip side was that nobody else like the guys we exposed to sign them to their PS.

That could be an issue, but we'll see.

I thought the only way to take a player off waivers is to put them on a 53 roster, not a PS. So all that means is none of our PS players were good enough to make another teams roster, or ours either. To be taken off waivers and placed on a regular roster would require some stellar performances in the preseason. I am not surprised that most teams keep their own 'bubble' guys, simply because they have already put in time and know the system and all of them are a crap shoot as far as potential long term success.
JeeQ
I'm glad to see Treggs and Marshall up there
nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 4 2017, 10:53 AM) *
I thought the only way to take a player off waivers is to put them on a 53 roster, not a PS. So all that means is none of our PS players were good enough to make another teams roster, or ours either. To be taken off waivers and placed on a regular roster would require some stellar performances in the preseason. I am not surprised that most teams keep their own 'bubble' guys, simply because they have already put in time and know the system and all of them are a crap shoot as far as potential long term success.

That is correct. However, a team with better talent than over half the league as a 9-7 prediction by most of us would indicate, should have some guys on the PS who are better than the bottom few of most of the teams predicted to be worse than us.

Neary got picked up by LA, other that, nobody wanted our talent.

That being said, I'm OK with our PS. It's a few on the 53 that I'd prefer not be on there. Could use a few more OL, but not a travesty.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 4 2017, 12:46 PM) *
That is correct. However, a team with better talent than over half the league as a 9-7 prediction by most of us would indicate, should have some guys on the PS who are better than the bottom few of most of the teams predicted to be worse than us.

Neary got picked up by LA, other that, nobody wanted our talent.

That being said, I'm OK with our PS. It's a few on the 53 that I'd prefer not be on there. Could use a few more OL, but not a travesty.

But you are assuming that other teams devote extra time to studying other teams bubble guys, and I don't think they really do, because bottom line, all of them have question marks. It makes more sense that they generally keep their own bubble guys because beyond on field performance they have a better grip on their character and potential upside from watching them practice with the team. I think we tend to put too much emphasis on our guys because we watched them in preseason, I doubt that any team, except for those that are really awful, scour the waiver wire for talent on cut down day. I would think that the only ones claimed off waivers had caught the scouting staffs eye before TC and Preseason.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 4 2017, 12:31 PM) *
But you are assuming that other teams devote extra time to studying other teams bubble guys, and I don't think they really do, because bottom line, all of them have question marks. It makes more sense that they generally keep their own bubble guys because beyond on field performance they have a better grip on their character and potential upside from watching them practice with the team. I think we tend to put too much emphasis on our guys because we watched them in preseason, I doubt that any team, except for those that are really awful, scour the waiver wire for talent on cut down day. I would think that the only ones claimed off waivers had caught the scouting staffs eye before TC and Preseason.

They better have them studied. College scouts should have reports on all drafted and most undrafted prospects. The pro scouts should have reviewed game film on those bubble players from the other teams, more on the PON. They scour preseason tapes of all the teams searching for gems.

That one thing that probably happens is if it is close, they stay with the guys they know. However, there are plenty of times when it is not close.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 4 2017, 01:56 PM) *
They better have them studied. College scouts should have reports on all drafted and most undrafted prospects. The pro scouts should have reviewed game film on those bubble players from the other teams, more on the PON. They scour preseason tapes of all the teams searching for gems.

That one thing that probably happens is if it is close, they stay with the guys they know. However, there are plenty of times when it is not close.

I think you missed my point, sure all teams should have a book on almost every player coming out of college. What I was saying is that those books are made prior to TC and Preseason, and even a stellar preseason for a lesser guy is usually mitigated by the fact that they are mainly playing against other guys trying to make their team. I think most teams try and keep their bubble guys simply because they know their question marks better than any they can pull off the waiver wire, who would have to come and start from scratch. If you look around the league I am betting 80-90 percent of PS players come from a teams' 90, not from other team rosters.
Zero
I bet this is the job of the interns and quality control guys ... study film, film, film and provide cuts and reports to the scouts for analysis. The guys picked up now are either guys who flashed in the games or who are known quantity vets. As the scouts have time to go over the data in more detail they can determine if someone slipped through to a PS who is potentially better than someone they have on their 53. Just a guess.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 4 2017, 03:35 PM) *
I think you missed my point, sure all teams should have a book on almost every player coming out of college. What I was saying is that those books are made prior to TC and Preseason, and even a stellar preseason for a lesser guy is usually mitigated by the fact that they are mainly playing against other guys trying to make their team. I think most teams try and keep their bubble guys simply because they know their question marks better than any they can pull off the waiver wire, who would have to come and start from scratch. If you look around the league I am betting 80-90 percent of PS players come from a teams' 90, not from other team rosters.

I would guess that those would be in the 60-70% range. But if I am correct, out of our 54th thru 90th player, only Neary was seemed worthy enough of a pickup.

We had 37 guys out there to be picked up, free of charge, and the other teams took one. 36 of 37 were rejected, a rejection rate close to 98%.

That's tough to do.

samaroo
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 5 2017, 10:07 AM) *
I would guess that those would be in the 60-70% range. But if I am correct, out of our 54th thru 90th player, only Neary was seemed worthy enough of a pickup.

We had 37 guys out there to be picked up, free of charge, and the other teams took one. 36 of 37 were rejected, a rejection rate close to 98%.

That's tough to do.

A 98% rejection rate sounds bad, but how does it compare to the rest of the league?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.