Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I don't feel as positive after cut downs
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Mostly RB and OL concern me, and these were the two spots that were concerns in preseason games. 8 OL? 5 RB without a clear starter? I could understand Pumphrey better if they had gone light at WR even if I wouldn't agree with that. "Injury" was the best solution for him. I'm ok with the OL starters but not the depth. I don't understand their thinking on RB.
Eyrie
I mentioned the OL problem in my initial reaction last night, and Mikey has highlighted that we're very light at T.

Looking at the three back ups, we have a C/G (Wizniewski), a pure G (Warmack) and a T (Vaitai). We need four Ts, so I can only assume that Seumalo is viewed as the emergency option there. I'd prefer that he was backing up C with a view to replacing Kelce in 2018 or 2019 and that we'd kept a young T for depth.

After all, we've got two RBs (Pumphrey, Clement) and a WR (Gibson) who are only on the roster as developemental players. I'd have preferred Clement on the PS (he doesn't have the same "potential" as Pumphrey so should be safe) and Gordon or another team's cut as the fourth T.

I accept that we usually only have seven OL active, but what happens if we have a couple of short term injuries (3-4 weeks)? We're then looking to cut someone else to call a player up from the PS, but that's assuming that we can keep a half-decent prospect there when teams across the NFL are in constant need of OL.
nephillymike
Allowing that trader Howie has some time to correct things in the next few days, I share your concern.

My concern is the ego displayed in the keeping of Pumphrey to a great extent and Gibson to a lesser extent.

If a GM is going to be stubborn and not correct his mistakes when given the opportunity, it doesn't bode well for future moves. He sure as hell had no problem undoing Chip's mistakes.

Gibson at least showed a few catches the other night. Not great, but a morsel.

He kept a 5 th RB in Pump who showed NOTHING in practice nor the games. No reason he should be on the 53.

We'll see what Howie does from here, but I want a GM who checks ego at the door and acts quickly to improve the team.
Joegrane
I agree about concerns with the number of OTs. At one point last year they were using their 4th OT. I suppose they will point out that Seumalo has some experience at OT.

I agree about Gibson. He supposedly left college a year early and showed an ability to get open deep.

Maybe they thought that the OTs they had at the bottom of the roster have roughly the same value. If they loose one of them, no biggie. So they could roll the dice.

I have been convinced from the beginning that they would use RB by committee. It is also my opinion that they don't have anyone who replaces R Matthews' combination of skills--when healthy. So nothing I've seen during the preseason changes my view on them.

I like the depth at RB and short yardage situation but overall I think they are less talented this year. If the O Line is healthy, they'll probably have numbers just as good as last year. That won't be due to the talent, it will be due to the O Line, especially since Smallwood mostly just takes what his big men give him.

I am really impressed with what Howie and company have done this offseason. It is close to miraculous.

A legitimate starting caliber CB and some legit depth at CB and S.

Nice upgrades at both DT and DE.

Overhauled WR corp that looks 4 deep. I really like Hollins as a #4. He just makes plays. He does not look like a rookie. I am cautiously optimistic that they will find a minor, but productive role for Agholor.

Signed an excellent short-yardage RB.

He got a 5th for a backup OT I would have begged someone else to take.

The offense should be substantially improved this year. I don't actually expect much improvement on paper for the D even though they are clearly improved. The improved O will put more pressure on opponents to score more points.

If it was not for their brutal schedule I'd expect them to be a 10 win team and would not be surprised at 11. However they could be a much improved team and only win 8. : (

QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 3 2017, 04:48 AM) *
Mostly RB and OL concern me, and these were the two spots that were concerns in preseason games. 8 OL? 5 RB without a clear starter? I could understand Pumphrey better if they had gone light at WR even if I wouldn't agree with that. "Injury" was the best solution for him. I'm ok with the OL starters but not the depth. I don't understand their thinking on RB.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 3 2017, 07:23 AM) *
Allowing that trader Howie has some time to correct things in the next few days, I share your concern.

My concern is the ego displayed in the keeping of Pumphrey to a great extent and Gibson to a lesser extent.

If a GM is going to be stubborn and not correct his mistakes when given the opportunity, it doesn't bode well for future moves. He sure as hell had no problem undoing Chip's mistakes.

Gibson at least showed a few catches the other night. Not great, but a morsel.

He kept a 5 th RB in Pump who showed NOTHING in practice nor the games. No reason he should be on the 53.

We'll see what Howie does from here, but I want a GM who checks ego at the door and acts quickly to improve the team.

I hate to go this road, but it's going to be a couple of years before we know how this pans out. As someone already mentioned, if they are developing players and truly taking a patient approach and if Douglas and Weidl are involved in the decisions and if they know what they're doing .... if, if, if. But it's true, we won't know for a couple of years.
Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 3 2017, 10:03 AM) *
He got a 5th for a backup OT I would have begged someone else to take.

Actually, they upgraded from a 7 to a 5, but I agree.
The Franchise
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 3 2017, 06:23 AM) *

Again, it's ludicrous to think Howie was going to admit defeat a few months after trading up to get Pumphrey in the 4th. I have no real problem with that, and any of us as GM would do the same. My problem is when it takes years to admit defeat, such as with Marcus Smith (congrats to the former 1st rounder for barely making the Seahawks roster as their 3rd string LDE). If Pumphrey shows no improvement at all this year, or even through a portion of the year, then he can get rid of him while saving some face.

It's much easier correcting your predecessor's mistakes, especially when your predecessor is Chip Kelly.
Zero
Aside from Sudfeld and Andrews, these were all players I had hoped would be Eagles in some way. I feel a little better now. Then again, if nobody picked them up maybe we're over rating them. ohmy.gif
QB Nate Sudfeld
C/G Josh Andrews
TE Billy Brown
LB Nathan Gerry
OT Dillon Gordon
DT Justin Hamilton
RB Byron Marshall
CB C.J. Smith
WR Bryce Treggs
WR Greg Ward
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 3 2017, 04:27 PM) *
Aside from Sudfeld and Andrews, these were all players I had hoped would be Eagles in some way. I feel a little better now. Then again, if nobody picked them up maybe we're over rating them. ohmy.gif [indent][/indent]

I agree.

I had 58 of the 63, one of those I missed being McAllister IR stash. One was Treggs who I didn't know was PS eligible, the others being Andrews, Sudfeld, Warmack and Pumphrey.

My 63 vs Howie's:
Thomas vs Warmack
Greene vs Andrews
McAllister vs Pumphrey
Evans vs Sudfeld ( prob just using him for WAS info)
Orlosky vs Treggs ( would have had Treggs if I knew he was PS eligible)

I share your concern if the PS we kept aren't seen as being that good around the league.

We'll see.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.