Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Final Cuts--Down to 53
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Joegrane
So they kept...

both 4th rounder Pumphrey and UDFA C Clement at RB. They must really love Pumphry's "upside" I did not see it.

M Johnson and S Gibson at WR. Treggs was cut.

Only three TEs

Only 8 O Linemen. Warmack was the only guy on the bubble who was kept and he was given a 1 yr extension.

D Vaeao and 6th round pick E Qualls were kept at DT

They only kept 6 LBs, including J Walker, N Goode and Hill.

In the secondary they kept 2014 4th round pick J Watkins and newly acquired CB Mc Dougle who received an extension.

The punter is veteran D Jones.

DE, QB went as expected.
Reality Fan
Yep anyone who thought Howie was not in control is delusional He doubled down on 2 bad picks.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 2 2017, 04:06 PM) *
Yep anyone who thought Howie was not in control is delusional He doubled down on 2 bad picks.

And the dealer turned over 21.
Joegrane
Who will likely be inactive on game day? My guess...

RB Pumphrey, RB Clement, WR Gibson, WR Johnson or OG Warmack on O

DT Qualls, LB Walker, DE Means, S Watkins on D.

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 2 2017, 03:53 PM) *
So they kept...

both 4th rounder Pumphrey and UDFA C Clement at RB. They must really love Pumphry's "upside" I did not see it.

M Johnson and S Gibson at WR. Treggs was cut.

Only three TEs

Only 8 O Linemen. Warmack was the only guy on the bubble who was kept and he was given a 1 yr extension.

D Vaeao and 6th round pick E Qualls were kept at DT

They only kept 6 LBs, including J Walker, N Goode and Hill.

In the secondary they kept 2014 4th round pick J Watkins and newly acquired CB Mc Dougle who received an extension.

The punter is veteran D Jones.

DE, QB went as expected.
Eyrie
The main surprise for me was five RBs and only eight OL.
nephillymike
Good news Joe.

46 are active, so you can reduce the inactives by one to make it seven instead of eight.

Bad news, it could put Pumphrey and Gibson that much closer to the field!

With the 8 OL we kept, did you realize that we only have one backup tackle?

We have 3 guys who can play C, 4 that can play G, but only 3 OT.

They may need to have two OT on the PS to give them enough depth in case of injury and/ or poaching of OT from our PS.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Sep 2 2017, 05:45 PM) *
The main surprise for me was five RBs and only eight OL.

I expect 3-4 OL on the PS with only eight on the 53

I doubt any of the eight will be deactivated and leave only have 2 backups for 5 positions on game day.

Better hope our OLine can stay healthy this year

nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 2 2017, 06:06 PM) *
I expect 3-4 OL on the PS with only eight on the 53

I doubt any of the eight will be deactivated and leave only have 2 backups for 5 positions on game day.

Better hope our OLine can stay healthy this year

Especially our OT's!
The Franchise
Did anyone really expect Howie to just cut the 4th round pick he traded up to get? Let's just hope it doesn't take 3 years to get rid of him like with Marcus Smith.
Joegrane
Howie made an interesting statement in his press conf. He said they want to give the coaches the best 46 players for game day, but also have some guys that they can develop, presumably the inactive guys on game day.

When I look at a list of the guys who seem most likely to be inactive on game day, they generally fit the description of developmental guys, young with some upside, so they want to protect them from other teams.

DT Qualls, LB Walker, DE Means, S Watkins on D

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Sep 2 2017, 08:12 PM) *
Did anyone really expect Howie to just cut the 4th round pick he traded up to get? Let's just hope it doesn't take 3 years to get rid of him like with Marcus Smith.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 2 2017, 10:46 PM) *
Howie made an interesting statement in his press conf. He said they want to give the coaches the best 46 players for game day, but also have some guys that they can develop, presumably the inactive guys on game day.

When I look at a list of the guys who seem most likely to be inactive on game day, they generally fit the description of developmental guys, young with some upside, so they want to protect them from other teams.

I am glad you pointed this out as this stood out to me in a big way.

Injuries happen in the NFL very often and I think it is foolish to use those spots for development. He sounds as if those guys can be redshirted there. No, there will be injuries and these will be some guys called into duty in that season finale vs DAL to determine playoffs or not. We will be drawing from a Pump and Gibson who aren't NFL players yet instead of guys with more talent who will help us this year.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 2 2017, 10:46 PM) *

I am glad you pointed this out as this stood out to me in a big way.

Injuries happen in the NFL very often and I think it is foolish to use those spots for development. He sounds as if those guys can be redshirted there. No, there will be injuries and these will be some guys called into duty in that season finale vs DAL to determine playoffs or not. We will be drawing from a Pump and Gibson who aren't NFL players yet instead of guys with more talent who will help us this year.
JeeQ
Looking at the final 53... I'm preparing myself for a long season
Reality Fan
It is one thing if a player shows a flash of something but all Pumphrey did was show that his game is no match for NFL speed and he did that against all levels of talent from the 1's to the 4"s. I can excuse Gibson because he seemed to get better as the preseason wore on. This is pure Hubris and really indicative that Howie is no different now than he was before, he just put on a cute act.
Birdman420
Maybe howie will be getting another OT from the maple syrup mafia in a back alley trade...
SLOiggles
Given the mass amount of guys that were released yesterday, I'm guessing the roster isn't anywhere close to being finished. It wouldn't surprise me to see either Clement or Pumphrey still in danger of being cut today if the team can pick up a lineman or two
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.