Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roseman isn't doing this stuff by himself
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I hear it on the radio and read it in stories, Roseman made another trade ... "Trader Howie." People complain about how badly the Eagles have been in recent history with personnel. That's true, but this year is different with the additions of Douglas and Weidl ... at least it should be. I seriously doubt that Roseman hired these guys as window dressing, and I'd think if that were the case that a decent reporter or two would hear rumblings and make a story of it.

I have no doubt that Roseman sees value in trading that is very unusual in the NFL, but I also think that the new personnel team is knee deep in the evaluation of both the players they're trading and those they're trading for. Besides his purported personnel acumen, Douglas has been trumpeted as a guy who fits talent to scheme and favors a consistent personality (style/scheme) for the team. Developmental players aren't supposed to be brought in for a year or two and move on because there's a coaching change, they're supposed to improve with coaching and at least add solid depth.

Roseman may be the driver, but Douglas and Weidl are the steering and the gears. For better or worse, this ain't the same ole Eagles personnel office.
nephillymike
Well, I like that Howie is trading.

I think you need to see how much trading Douglas did in his past. Howie did a bunch of trades before.

Can you imagine all the work they need to do this week with 1,147 free agents hitting the open market.

They could get six more new players on the 53 that aren't Eagles tonight.

Howies ability to deal should be a benefit.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 31 2017, 08:03 PM) *
I think you need to see how much trading Douglas did in his past. Howie did a bunch of trades before.

I think you're missing my point. The personnel department is working as a team, Douglas and Weidl doing the analysis and Roseman making the deals.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 31 2017, 07:50 PM) *
I think you're missing my point. The personnel department is working as a team, Douglas and Weidl doing the analysis and Roseman making the deals.

I'd like to think so, but how do we know?

They've always had nice things to say about the new GM teams as they come.
The Franchise
I'm pretty happy with our transactions since The Genius left us. On a side note, Marcus Smith looks poised to make the Seahawks' 53-man roster as their 6th linebacker. What a great first round pick!
Joegrane
Do you like him better than Means who the Eagles just extended?

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Sep 1 2017, 01:05 PM) *
I'm pretty happy with our transactions since The Genius left us. On a side note, Marcus Smith looks poised to make the Seahawks' 53-man roster as their 6th linebacker. What a great first round pick!

The Franchise
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 1 2017, 03:49 PM) *
Do you like him better than Means who the Eagles just extended?

No, Means is already a better player, and has shown heart. But that isn't the point - Means is a 5th round pick who we got off a practice squad. Marcus Smith was a first rounder, and the very definition of a bust. It would be a valid point to say that isn't his fault, it's the idiots who drafted him so high, whoever ultimately made that call.
Joegrane
I agree with you.

I recall M Smith was projected by some to be a low second or third round talent. I don't think he has lived up to even those more modest expectations.

WalterFootball had said his stock was rising due to good senior year, performance at the combine, etc. They had him as a possible low 1st rounder, just ahead of Dee Ford.
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014msmith.php
http://walterfootball.com/draft2014OLB3-4.php

The Eagles originally had pick #22 in Round 1. After the Packers selected FS Clinton-Dix, a position of need for the birds, the Eagles traded with the Browns down to #26. The Browns took J Manziel and the Chiefs picked OLB Dee Ford with the following pick. The Eagles selected M Smith @#26.

The compensation for trading down turns out to be two guys on the bubble at the moment--DB J. Watkins in the 4th round and 3-4 DE T Hart in the 5th.

7th rounder B Allen could be the only one remaining from Chip K's 2014 draft.

You'll chuckle if you read these old reviews of the Eagles' 2014 draft.
https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/5/...t-picks-grading

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Sep 1 2017, 05:04 PM) *
No, Means is already a better player, and has shown heart. But that isn't the point - Means is a 5th round pick who we got off a practice squad. Marcus Smith was a first rounder, and the very definition of a bust. It would be a valid point to say that isn't his fault, it's the idiots who drafted him so high, whoever ultimately made that call.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 1 2017, 09:18 PM) *
I agree with you.

I recall M Smith was projected by some to be a low second or third round talent. I don't think he has lived up to even those more modest expectations.

WalterFootball had said his stock was rising due to good senior year, performance at the combine, etc. They had him as a possible low 1st rounder, just ahead of Dee Ford.
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014msmith.php
http://walterfootball.com/draft2014OLB3-4.php

The Eagles originally had pick #22 in Round 1. After the Packers selected FS Clinton-Dix, a position of need for the birds, the Eagles traded with the Browns down to #26. The Browns took J Manziel and the Chiefs picked OLB Dee Ford with the following pick. The Eagles selected M Smith @#26.

The compensation for trading down turns out to be two guys on the bubble at the moment--DB J. Watkins in the 4th round and 3-4 DE T Hart in the 5th.

7th rounder B Allen could be the only one remaining from Chip K's 2014 draft.

You'll chuckle if you read these old reviews of the Eagles' 2014 draft.
https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/5/...t-picks-grading

That year, in my draft compilation of like seven different sources, he was ranked 85th. Having done this for years, it is very rare for a team to reach that far off the consensus in the first round. Even the fireman was rated in the 50's, still a reach, but not as much of a stretch. But even guys rated as mid 3rd round picks can be successful. He has even struggled to be as successful as a 4 th rounder, never mind a first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.