Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dorrenbos traded to nawlins
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
D Rock
For a 7th round pick?

WTF
Pila
One bad snap in the regular season and the world is going to explode. Probably a prudent move, but this has bad publicity guarantee in almost every scenario I can dream up.
nephillymike
Man, WTF.

We were just talking about Dorenbos being a jersey worth getting.
Birdman420
No way wtf!!! for a 7TH!!!??? A 7TH!!!???

like, like...ugh!

(Edited for drama's sake)
The Franchise
Though I'm just repeating all of you.....

WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?!?
Joegrane
This doesn't seem good.

Trading the Safety recently who has no real history with the team is okay. They might have released him anyway.

Trading Matthews was a necessary evil. He had one year remaining on his contract, they supposedly were struggling to agree on $, he was blocking Agholor, they were desperate for a starting CB and it finishes the Chip purge.

Dorrenbos has been around for 20 years, or so it seems. It is one thing to release him and let him catch on somewhere to his liking, it is another to trade him for a 7th rounder. If he was okay with the trade, then I am too. It feels disrespectful and they got virtually nothing for him.

QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 28 2017, 07:44 PM) *
For a 7th round pick?

WTF

The Franchise
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Aug 29 2017, 12:04 AM) *
Dorrenbos has been around for 20 years, or so it seems. It is one thing to release him and let him catch on somewhere to his liking, it is another to trade him for a 7th rounder. If he was okay with the trade, then I am too. It feels disrespectful and they got virtually nothing for him.

That's the whole thing - it's one thing to make it clear he's training the younger guy Lovato. Keep him on for another year until we definitely have him replaced, and say a well timed goodbye. Just trading him for a 7th in late August?! As a franchise, when it comes to bad PR we're on the same level as the Oakland (sorry Las Vegas in 3 years thx loyal fans) Raiders.

For everyone's sake, I hope Lovato is putting in extra time practicing those snaps.
CT_Eagle
I don't get this move. A 7th is pretty damn close to being worthless. Dorenbos was a dependable long snapper and a fan favorite. I don't see any upside here, just the unknown with the new long snapper. I know it is a cliché but, if ain't broke, don't fix it.
CT_Eagle
sorry duplicate
mcnabbulous
He's a 37 year old long snapper. I liked the guy, but this isn't going to have an impact on the field.

We got a draft pick for a long snapper. That should be the primary take away here.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 29 2017, 09:30 AM) *
He's a 37 year old long snapper. I liked the guy, but this isn't going to have an impact on the field.

We got a draft pick for a long snapper. That should be the primary take away here.

See...we can agree.

He is 37 and he got hurt and gave way to a younger guy just like He got his job when Mike Bartrum did before him. Getting a pick, any pick, for a long snapper approaching retirement is a coup. I am a little surprised at the angst by some.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 29 2017, 09:19 AM) *
See...we can agree.

He is 37 and he got hurt and gave way to a younger guy just like He got his job when Mike Bartrum did before him. Getting a pick, any pick, for a long snapper approaching retirement is a coup. I am a little surprised at the angst by some.

I think it's just nostalgia. He was long-tenured and has a great story. But this will inevitably have virtually no impact on the field (although I fucking cringe at the thought of a bad snap by the new guy).

If we can use that 7th to move up in the draft, it will be well worth it.
Pila
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 29 2017, 03:46 PM) *
I think it's just nostalgia. He was long-tenured and has a great story. But this will inevitably have virtually no impact on the field (although I fucking cringe at the thought of a bad snap by the new guy).

At best, this is an unpopular move. We're sentimental creatures.

At worst, this was poorly thought out and an unecessary risk. Either way, this was never going to be well received, so the WTFs are understandable. Let's hope those end here and not over the head of our punter.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 29 2017, 10:46 AM) *

I am not too worried about the new guy, he did just fine last year. You are dead on about the pick though and the impact of the onfield product.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 29 2017, 11:44 AM) *
I am not too worried about the new guy, he did just fine last year.

I'm not worried either. But he will inevitably have a mistake. And people will inevitably overreact to it.
Pila
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 29 2017, 05:55 PM) *
I'm not worried either. But he will inevitably have a mistake. And people will inevitably overreact to it.

Im going to "WTF" until my fingers bleed!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Pila @ Aug 29 2017, 12:01 PM) *
Im going to "WTF" until my fingers bleed!

smile.gif
Zero
I really like Dorrenbos but he's 37 and Lovato is 24 and did a good job last year when Dorrenbos was hurt. Would/will JD be able to stay healthy and when is a good time to make the move to a younger replacement? I get people struggling with the business side, but getting a draft commodity for a 37 year old part time player isn't bad, it just sucks to lose a guy we all like.
Eyrie
The business side of the NFL is never pleasant, but we got something in exchange for a 37 year old player when we have a decent 25 year old to replace him already on the roster.

What makes it hard for people to take is how likeable Dorenbos is.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 29 2017, 12:55 PM) *

In Philly? Never!!!...lol
nephillymike
I've got my finger on the panic button just waiting to press it !
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 29 2017, 06:24 PM) *
I've got my finger on the panic button just waiting to press it !

I've seen your posts this preseason. It's sufficiently pressed.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 29 2017, 01:17 PM) *
I really like Dorrenbos but he's 37 and Lovato is 24 and did a good job last year when Dorrenbos was hurt. Would/will JD be able to stay healthy and when is a good time to make the move to a younger replacement? I get people struggling with the business side, but getting a draft commodity for a 37 year old part time player isn't bad, it just sucks to lose a guy we all like.

They should've had Dorenbos do a magic trick during the national anthem or something. Then trade him. laugh.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 29 2017, 06:31 PM) *
I've seen your posts this preseason. It's sufficiently pressed.

Practice makes perfect! ( not a theory espoused by coach Pedey )

BTW, Foles out sick Tuesday. Reporters say he looked bad in practice Monday.

We may have to keep McGloin for a few weeks after all, as ugly as that may be.
El Cubano
Am I the only one who recalls Brent Celek stepping up to be the long snapper last season?

Was our backup long snapper injured or just that bad?
samaroo
I'm pretty sure a piece of the sky just fell on my head...
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (El Cubano @ Aug 30 2017, 11:32 AM) *
Am I the only one who recalls Brent Celek stepping up to be the long snapper last season?

Injury
Reality Fan
QUOTE (El Cubano @ Aug 30 2017, 07:32 AM) *

No...Celek did it before the got Lovato if I recall correctly and when Celek got hurt Trey Burton came in for a field goal.

I could be wrong though
mcnabbulous
Jesus christ

https://twitter.com/jkatzenstein/status/906160962494980096
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 8 2017, 10:48 AM) *
Jesus Christ
May He protect and heal him.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 8 2017, 10:11 AM) *
May He protect and heal him.

He dropped the ball on the first part
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 8 2017, 02:48 PM) *

Unreal. Best of luck Jon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.