Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hackenberg still struggling
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/...e-starting-job/

Sorry Nabby, the boy is a bust.
mcnabbulous
Who could have guessed that things wouldn't have worked out for him in the worst situation in football...

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 29 2016, 02:35 PM) *
Frankly, I'm not sure he's an ideal fit for a WCO, because he's not a super accurate natural passer. But in a more pro style offense that leans on outs, comebacks and deep balls, he will have a lot of success.

Hack was successful when he played in a good scheme fit with an OL he trusted. That hasn't been the case since his freshman year. The Jets continuing to draft project QBs and surround them with trash is exactly why the Jets continue to be the Jets.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 27 2017, 08:33 AM) *
Who could have guessed that things wouldn't have worked out for him in the worst situation in football...

Hack was successful when he played in a good scheme fit with an OL he trusted. That hasn't been the case since his freshman year. The Jets continuing to draft project QBs and surround them with trash is exactly why the Jets continue to be the Jets.

Probably true, but. I had to mess with you! But to look that bad, questions the skill, IMO.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 27 2017, 08:59 AM) *
Probably true, but. I had to mess with you! But to look that bad, questions the skill, IMO.

He's just not a 3 step drop and throw guy. It was obvious when he was at PSU. I don't know how dysfunctional an organization has to be not to see that.

The best WCO QBs are accurate and/or have some mobility. Hack doesn't fit either of those profiles. He's a classic drop back guy that is pretty decent moving to his right.

If he has the ability to take a full drop, scan the field and get his feet set, he has a chance.

If you set a young QB up for failure, you'll almost always get just that.
mcnabbulous
He's 22 and has some tools you just can't teach. The ball gets from point a to b in no time. He really has a special arm.

I hope he ultimately finds a good fit and some teammates he has some confidence in. I'm forever grateful for his role in saving PSU's football program.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 31 2017, 07:04 PM) *
He's 22 and has some tools you just can't teach. The ball gets from point a to b in no time. He really has a special arm.

I hope he ultimately finds a good fit and some teammates he has some confidence in. I'm forever grateful for his role in saving PSU's football program.

As am I for McGloin doing the same. rolleyes.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 31 2017, 07:35 PM) *
As am I for McGloin doing the same. rolleyes.gif

McGloin definitely played a role. That's no joke. He didn't have the options to bail like Hackenberg did, but he kept them respectable on the field. That certainly had an impact on attracting recruits.

I really don't get the McGloin hate. He's a limp armed former walk-on who absolutely no one would have expected to play in the league. The fact that he's here is exponentially better than I would have imagined.

He is what he is. Not a whole lot of people get to play NFL QB at a high level.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 31 2017, 08:05 PM) *
McGloin definitely played a role. That's no joke. He didn't have the options to bail like Hackenberg did, but he kept them respectable on the field. That certainly had an impact on attracting recruits.

I really don't get the McGloin hate. He's a limp armed former walk-on who absolutely no one would have expected to play in the league. The fact that he's here is exponentially better than I would have imagined.

He is what he is. Not a whole lot of people get to play NFL QB at a high level.

No hate.

Just a strong preference for him not to be on this team.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 31 2017, 08:08 PM) *
No hate.

Just a strong preference for him not to be on this team.

I'd rather McGloin at whatever he's being paid than Foles at $7M
nephillymike
I'd rather have Evans or just about any other third string QB than McGloin.
Joegrane
I think you will get your wish; however, I don't expect them to keep a #3 QB. I would not be surprised if Evans is on the PS.

Hackenburg did not look terrible. He might just be a career #2 QB.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 31 2017, 09:50 PM) *
I'd rather have Evans or just about any other third string QB than McGloin.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Aug 31 2017, 10:00 PM) *
Hackenburg did not look terrible. He might just be a career #2 QB.

He's 22 and has a great arm. If he gets paired with a coach who's worth any amount of shit, he's got far more upside than that.

Why a team would try to use him in a WCO when his best asset is throwing the ball down the field makes no sense to me.
The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 27 2017, 09:33 AM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Here we go, ladies and gents! Geno Smith version 2.0 - the never ending apology tour continues, this time with a PSU bust! Who can be the best backup in NY?

At least Blount didn't get any work last night, so he's no closer to 2,000 carries.....
Reality Fan
I always thought that Hack was going to emerge as a stud at PSU but he was hammered too much there due to his O line being so bad. Sadly it does not appear that he has recovered from that.
samaroo
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 2 2017, 03:04 AM) *
I always thought that Hack was going to emerge as a stud at PSU but he was hammered too much there due to his O line being so bad. Sadly it does not appear that he has recovered from that.

That had a lot to do with Kolb's demise, too. And he was a tough dude.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.