Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: R Darby
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Joegrane
What are your thoughts on Darby at this point?

We don't know if Schwartz was consistently leaving him on an island, allowing the fish to game plan to take advantage. Remember they've been playing him twice per year in the AFC East.

Leaving him on an island probably freed up safeties and therefore freed up Kendricks to do what he does best--use his athleticism to create havoc. That has been working but it leaves Darby vulnerable.

Last week Darby was going up against a 35 year old WR known for his toughness. Of course a CB is going to look quick.

I bet the fish saw that Darby was breaking on outs looking for the INT. They were able to beat him deep on a hesitation move by a WR with speed. However notice that Darby had recovery speed. He was in position to defend the ball if he had gotten his head turned around. He did not need to grab the WR, especially with his excellent make up speed. He panicked and lost his mental cool. That is going to be an excellent teaching point for Schwartz.

He also got beat on a jump ball that he missed by in inch--with some help by a subtle push off by the WR. He will see that a lot against bigger WRs. It was a perfect throw and perfect setup by the WR. Offenses will make some plays. Darby will win that most of the time because it is so tough to make the perfect throw.

I'm not down on him after this game. I think it was Mike Quick who pointed out that he is not as good as what we saw in the first game and not as bad as what we saw last night. I'll take that over what we've had any day. I'm really excited to have him.

When was the last time we had a CB with that make-up speed?

or who has a chance 1-1 against Beckham? Supposedly OBJ had his worst game against Darby.

Having Darby around will allow Schwartz to use Kendricks to his full potential. He could have a monster year--on paper with sacks and INTs. I still expect him to blow coverage and fail to get off blocks due to his size.

P Robertson seemed okay at the slot CB spot. With R Brooks always injured, the Darby trade may have solidified two CB spots.

So the addition of Darby is encouraging when you just look at his one position. However it becomes exciting when you consider the synergistic effects on the D. However he won't be good enough to be left on an island the entire game. They'll have to mix up defensive schemes to keep offensive coordinators off balance.

They played last evening with out Hicks and B Graham. This is going to be a good D.

Some of the additions that Howie made on O also have a synergistic effect. He has turned some last year's positions of greatest weakness--WR, outside CB, Red Zone RB--into strengths. For example, not only do the FA WRs solifiy the outside WR spots, they probably allow the Eagles to get productivity out of N Agholor in the slot.

If the O Line, TEs and RBs can provide some protection, this is clearly a playoff caliber team. Unfortunately one guy at ESPN said the thinks the Eagles have the toughest schedule in the NFL. sad.gif If they make it to the playoffs watch out. They might be adding S Jones to the mix around that time to keep Mills and Darby fresh. Hopefully by that time R Douglas will be developing into a good Red Zone CB.

Pila
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Aug 25 2017, 03:29 PM) *

We don't know if Schwartz was consistently leaving him on an island, allowing the fish to game plan to take advantage. Remember they've been playing him twice per year in the AFC East.

Leaving him on an island probably freed up safeties and therefore freed up Kendricks to do what he does best--use his athleticism to create havoc. That has been working but it leaves Darby vulnerable.

Last week Darby was going up against a 35 year old WR known for his toughness. Of course a CB is going to look quick.

I bet the fish saw that Darby was breaking on outs looking for the INT. They were able to beat him deep on a hesitation move by a WR with speed. However notice that Darby had recovery speed. He was in position to defend the ball if he had gotten his head turned around. He did not need to grab the WR, especially with his excellent make up speed. He panicked and lost his mental cool. That is going to be an excellent teaching point for Schwartz.

He also got beat on a jump ball that he missed by in inch--with some help by a subtle push off by the WR. He will see that a lot against bigger WRs. It was a perfect throw and perfect setup by the WR. Offenses will make some plays. Darby will win that most of the time because it is so tough to make the perfect throw.

I'm not down on him after this game. I think it was Mike Quick who pointed out that he is not as good as what we saw in the first game and not as bad as what we saw last night. I'll take that over what we've had any day. I'm really excited to have him.

or who has a chance 1-1 against Beckham? Supposedly OBJ had his worst game against Darby.

Having Darby around will allow Schwartz to use Kendricks to his full potential. He could have a monster year--on paper with sacks and INTs. I still expect him to blow coverage and fail to get off blocks due to his size.

P Robertson seemed okay at the slot CB spot. With R Brooks always injured, the Darby trade may have solidified two CB spots.

So the addition of Darby is encouraging when you just look at his one position. However it becomes exciting when you consider the synergistic effects on the D. However he won't be good enough to be left on an island the entire game. They'll have to mix up defensive schemes to keep offensive coordinators off balance.

They played last evening with out Hicks and B Graham. This is going to be a good D.

Some of the additions that Howie made on O also have a synergistic effect. He has turned some last year's positions of greatest weakness--WR, outside CB, Red Zone RB--into strengths. For example, not only do the FA WRs solifiy the outside WR spots, they probably allow the Eagles to get productivity out of N Agholor in the slot.

If the O Line, TEs and RBs can provide some protection, this is clearly a playoff caliber team. Unfortunately one guy at ESPN said the thinks the Eagles have the toughest schedule in the NFL. sad.gif If they make it to the playoffs watch out. They might be adding S Jones to the mix around that time to keep Mills and Darby fresh. Hopefully by that time R Douglas will be developing into a good Red Zone CB.

I'm used to seeing guys get beat by an embarrassing number of yards separating them from the receiver. Even on those completions, it was somewhat encouraging seeing the receiver always covered.
mcnabbulous
Think he has looked great. The jump ball shit is gonna happen. I second Pila's sentiment.

He's looked like the best corner we've had in years.
D Rock
Me too. Darby is the best looking CB we've seen in years.
Birdman420
I love the addition of Darby and I think he's a stud regardless of his shortcomings. Some throws and catches just can't be defended.

On the flip side- anyone take pleasure in seeing maxwell get burned and toasted over and over? what a joke he's become after leaving Seattle.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Aug 25 2017, 03:45 PM) *
On the flip side- anyone take pleasure in seeing maxwell get burned and toasted over and over? what a joke he's become after leaving Seattle.

When a DB loses a step, he's finished. Some players only thrive when surrounded by stars, as he was in Seattle. His decline is a combination of the two. Maxwell wasn't all that bad for us, just terribly overpriced. But remember, he will go down in Eagles history as being one of the pieces of the puzzle that eventually got us Wentz.
nephillymike
I think we saw in two games who Darby really is:

- the very fast, ultra quick CB with very good make up speed.

- the DB with suspect hands

- the CB who doesn't find the ball that well when it is in the air

He had an excellent game and a poor game.

He had an excellent first season and a poor second one.

He's not the second coming, but better than the crap we've had out there.

We'll see.

I don't think I'd trade J. Matthews and Hicks for him though, but maybe he'll turn out OK.
Birdman420
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Aug 25 2017, 04:30 PM) *
When a DB loses a step, he's finished. Some players only thrive when surrounded by stars, as he was in Seattle. His decline is a combination of the two. Maxwell wasn't all that bad for us, just terribly overpriced. But remember, he will go down in Eagles history as being one of the pieces of the puzzle that eventually got us Wentz.

That's true, I neglected to give him credit for being our trade bait.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 25 2017, 07:45 PM) *
I think we saw in two games who Darby really is:

- the very fast, ultra quick CB with very good make up speed.

- the DB with suspect hands

- the CB who doesn't find the ball that well when it is in the air

He had an excellent game and a poor game.

He had an excellent first season and a poor second one.

He's not the second coming, but better than the crap we've had out there.

We'll see.

I don't think I'd trade J. Matthews and Hicks for him though, but maybe he'll turn out OK.

We just traded Matthews right? What does Hicks have to do with it? Am I missing something?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Aug 25 2017, 07:37 PM) *
That's true, I neglected to give him credit for being our trade bait.

We just traded Matthews right? What does Hicks have to do with it? Am I missing something?

Hicks was a 3rd round pick and we gave up a 3rd in the deal.
Joegrane
Hicks was selected around where the Eagles probably will be selecting this year but wasn't his draft slot hurt by his injury history?

Other Eagles 3rd rounders: I Seumalo, J Huff, B Logan, N Foles, C Marsh, Brian Smith, Tony Hunt, Daniel TeoN.

I still think it was a wise move. Next year we'll likely have S Jones, Darby on the outside with Mills in the slot, R Douglass helping in the Red Zone and no washed-up 30 yr olds running for their life to keep up with above average WRs!

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 25 2017, 07:59 PM) *
Hicks was a 3rd round pick and we gave up a 3rd in the deal.

CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Aug 25 2017, 03:29 PM) *

Very good summary on Darby
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.