Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just...wow.
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HobbEs
From MSN this morning. I don't know how long they'll keep the article so instead of the link here is the contents:

A Philadelphia Eagles fan took a brutal shot at his favorite NFL team with what is believed to be a dying wish, according to his obituary.

Jeffrey Clayton Riegel passed away at the age of 56 on Aug. 18, per his obituary published in ThePress of Atlantic City.

The pertinent passage where Riegel absolutely destroys the Eagles is as follows:

He was beloved by all. God gave Jeffrey the miracle of time to prepare which allowed him to verbalize his last wishes. He requested to have 8 Philadelphia Eagles as pall bearers so the Eagles can let him down one last time.

Boom. Roasted.

Philly.com reports that the “Eagles did not immediately respond to requests for comment" after the news outlet made an inquiry.

Yeah, probably a good call. What could the team possibly say in response to that epic slam?

It’s not uncommon in the least for an obituary to feature some comment or reference to the deceased’s sports loyalties, or lack thereof (more on that here). But Mr. Riegel’s savage slam is among the best ever.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Aug 24 2017, 09:11 AM) *
From MSN this morning. I don't know how long they'll keep the article so instead of the link here is the contents:

A Philadelphia Eagles fan took a brutal shot at his favorite NFL team with what is believed to be a dying wish, according to his obituary.

Jeffrey Clayton Riegel passed away at the age of 56 on Aug. 18, per his obituary published in ThePress of Atlantic City.

The pertinent passage where Riegel absolutely destroys the Eagles is as follows:

He was beloved by all. God gave Jeffrey the miracle of time to prepare which allowed him to verbalize his last wishes. He requested to have 8 Philadelphia Eagles as pall bearers so the Eagles can let him down one last time.

Boom. Roasted.

Philly.com reports that the “Eagles did not immediately respond to requests for comment" after the news outlet made an inquiry.

Yeah, probably a good call. What could the team possibly say in response to that epic slam?

It’s not uncommon in the least for an obituary to feature some comment or reference to the deceased’s sports loyalties, or lack thereof (more on that here). But Mr. Riegel’s savage slam is among the best ever.

It is a great slam. If I am the Eagles I send 8 players to grant his wish. Saves face, shows you can laugh at yourself and is great PR. Of course they likely won't do that now that Derek Boyko is gone. They will likely ignore it just like they ignore the warm feelings and fan response Lehigh generated. Frankly, I have come around to the idea that they really don't give a damn about the fans. I am not saying they don't want to win, only that they really don't care what their fans think unless they can see a straight line correlation to the bottom line.
Eyrie
I'd agree with RF - show a sense of humour and send the players.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 24 2017, 10:00 AM) *
Frankly, I have come around to the idea that they really don't give a damn about the fans. I am not saying they don't want to win, only that they really don't care what their fans think unless they can see a straight line correlation to the bottom line.

Bingo. Better you come around late than never. Lurie is more than happy to put a relatively good product on the field, rake in millions, and root for the Patriots when nobody's watching.

They won't send players of course, because they realize that Agholor dropping the casket would be even worse PR.

samaroo
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Aug 25 2017, 05:32 AM) *
They won't send players of course, because they realize that Agholor dropping the casket would be even worse PR.

Rimshot!
Phits
“If you listen to the fans, you’ll find yourself sitting with them” Joe Kuharich (1917-1981)

An old saying in sports is that a coach or general manager “who listens to the fans ends up sitting with them.” Fans are important, but the coach or general manager has the best knowledge of the team and gets paid for that specialized knowledge.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 25 2017, 08:15 AM) *
An old saying in sports is that a coach or general manager €œwho listens to the fans ends up sitting with them.€ Fans are important, but the coach or general manager has the best knowledge of the team and gets paid for that specialized knowledge.

It's a valid quote overall, but I'm pretty sure most people on this board could've been better than Chip Kelly as GM.
Phits
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Aug 25 2017, 01:23 PM) *
It's a valid quote overall, but I'm pretty sure most people on this board could've been better than Chip Kelly as GM.

Wasn't Howie the GM? Chip was the scapegoat.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 25 2017, 12:36 PM) *

Chip had final say over the 53-man roster while Howie maintained the title of GM for 2 years. Then we all remember Howie's demotion and Chip's last year here. Even if DJax's release wasn't entirely Chip's decision (which I think it clearly was), getting rid of Shady and Maclin certainly were.

In the last year and a half, we've rebuilt our roster, added a franchise QB, and look like a pretty solid team. Elsewhere, Chip went 2-14 and is out of football. We can all figure out what really happened here.....
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 25 2017, 06:36 PM) *

Nope.
Birdman420
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Aug 24 2017, 04:32 PM) *

OMG! LOL!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.