Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Kendricks trade bait, or ...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Kendricks is thought to be one of the better blitzing LBs in the league, playing on a team that really doesn't blitz very often. But if the D can routinely pressure the QB and restrict the passing attack, what would happen if they didn't use a nickel back as often and instead played Kendricks in a base D more? What if Schwartz expands his concepts and actually blitzes more often? What will the defense look like if the DBs are average or minimally above average and are respected by the opposing DCs?

I asked this question about a month ago and now two things have happened that makes the question more relevant. They traded for Darby and Kendricks is playing well.

Darby gives the D a corner who can play man-to-man effectively and is fast enough and agile enough to stay with receivers. Mills plays man well too but isn't as fast or agile as Darby. Jenkins is a proven nickel corner. The additions of Jernigan and Barnett to the pass rush looks like the OL will have all they can handle from the front four.

Will a 3 LB, base defense with Kendricks be something Schwartz uses more? With more reliable CBs will he add more blitzes to the scheme? Will Kendricks' 26% playing time increase to 50% or will he be traded for a ____?
Zero
And let's look at what Barnett is bring to the table:
Barnett has rushed the passer 42 times in his 59 snaps across two preseason games, getting home three times for sacks, but also racking up an additional two hits and four hurries. He owns the league’s second-best pass rushing productivity score so far this preseason among 4-3 defensive ends. The Eagles own the top three scores as a team.
Linc ...

Yeah, it's preseason and these guys aren't playing against pro-bowlers with these numbers, but ...
nephillymike
Better cover corners does give you the ability to blitz more.

If he can get you a 3rd or a starter at a position of need (CB, RB, OG to move someone else to OC) I would think about it. Anything less, no thank you.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 20 2017, 06:27 AM) *
Better cover corners does give you the ability to blitz more.

If he can get you a 3rd or a starter at a position of need (CB, RB, OG to move someone else to OC) I would think about it. Anything less, no thank you.

If Schwartz can use him to make this a shutdown defense, I'd say keep him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.