Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did Wentz rely too much on Matthews?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I don't watch the all-22 and I'm really not all that great at dissecting plays and coverages. That said, Wentz was probably more comfortable with JMat than any other receiving option. Anyone who is competent at that stuff, is it possible that Wentz leaned too heavily on his friend and missed better options?
Birdwatcher
I just think that Mathews was the most reliable receiver he had, he targeted plenty of guys that kept dropping the ball, so Mathews became go to out of necessity.
Pila
I suspect its more of a design of the offense, where the slot is designed to be a safe drop off. With packers blitzing on every down, RB picking up blitzes, short crossing routes are the obvious check downs and not necessarily a point of a favored WR, I think. I suspect Agholor will be targeted frequently too if we see frequent blitzes against buffalo.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 13 2017, 10:11 AM) *
I don't watch the all-22 and I'm really not all that great at dissecting plays and coverages. That said, Wentz was probably more comfortable with JMat than any other receiving option. Anyone who is competent at that stuff, is it possible that Wentz leaned too heavily on his friend and missed better options?

I would've leaned heavily on Matthews last year too - that shows how bad our WR's were, and Ertz didn't show up for a large chunk of the season. That shouldn't be an issue this year.
Joegrane
Now that's scary! Some think the Eagles will be putting a TE (burton) or RB (sproles) in the slot fairly often.

QUOTE (Pila @ Aug 13 2017, 02:38 PM) *
.... I suspect Agholor will be targeted frequently too if we see frequent blitzes against buffalo.

Dreagon
Every QB has their favorite target...that one reciever they trust and have the best onfield chemistry with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.