Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JMatt traded (how is this the first post about it?)
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Happened an hour ago. All hail Ronald Darby, our new 23 year old corner. We also gave up a third.
Eyrie
First reaction was that adding the third makes this expensive, but that's the price we have to pay for being so needy at CB.

However Darby has two years left on his rookie deal compared to Matthews' one.
CT_Eagle
That 3rd was a steep add on. I haven't looked it up but I don't think we have a 2nd or a 3rd in the 2018 draft.

I can live with that if Darby, along with Jones, gives a solid CB tandem for the next 5-8 years.
Reality Fan
Darby is a decent to good CB and we were not going to sign Matthews because he would cost far too much. The 3rd rounder makes it a little pricey but the teams in the league know that the Eagles were not going to pay Mathews 10 per year. That depressed his trade value. Agholar is smiling somewhere.
CT_Eagle
As an add on to my statement above regarding the CBs, if Jones and Darby pan out in those positions, the Eagles will have reached a point in their rebuild where they have at least a competent player at every position. This will allow them to start drafting BPA as well as allow them to better manage the cap. No more plugging holes out of desperation.
GroundedBird
Evidently he gives Odell Beckham fits...

this makes me smile.
JeeQ
I look at it this way...

Matthews was going to become our WR3 at best, Darby comes in as our best CB on the roster the moment he walks in the door.

That's a win in my book
Pila
We've dramatically improved our weakest position at the cost of one where we find ourselves deep in. This is a huge win!
Zero
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Aug 11 2017, 04:49 PM) *
I look at it this way...

Matthews was going to become our WR3 at best, Darby comes in as our best CB on the roster the moment he walks in the door.

That's a win in my book

Agreed. But not only that, at first the 3rd plus Matthews looks steep, but what if the we waited until the 2018 draft and then took that player with the third? Darby's still young and he's NFL experienced. If that player were drafted next spring it'd be a great move ... right?
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 12 2017, 01:50 AM) *
Agreed. But not only that, at first the 3rd plus Matthews looks steep, but what if the we waited until the 2018 draft and then took that player with the third? Darby's still young and he's NFL experienced. If that player were drafted next spring it'd be a great move ... right?

True but if you don't make the trade, you have that player in the 3rd next year, plus Matthews.

I agree with the others here with regards to Matthews value. He is a #3 WR on this team. We have some depth at the WR position. Some of that depth was exchanged for a position of need. As I stated above, give me 5 years of Darby as a legit starting CB and I am happy with this trade.
nephillymike
If we kept Matthews and let him leave in FA, we likely get a 4th round compensatory pick with the value of his deal.

So Matthews and no decent CB and our 3rd in 2018 and a 4th in 2019

Or a decent CB, no Matthews, no 3rd and no 4th.

I think we lost this one.

Asked another way, what straight up draft pick trade would Matthews get us? I would think a 4th. Then we could have traded that 4th for a CB a tier below Darby.

God bless us if we're counting on Agholar. Maybe they figure one out of Agholar, Hollins and Johnson step up and are decent.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 11 2017, 09:06 PM) *
If we kept Matthews and let him leave in FA, we likely get a 4th round compensatory pick with the value of his deal.

So Matthews and no decent CB and our 3rd in 2018 and a 4th in 2019

Or a decent CB, no Matthews, no 3rd and no 4th.

I think we lost this one.

Asked another way, what straight up draft pick trade would Matthews get us? I would think a 4th. Then we could have traded that 4th for a CB a tier below Darby.

God bless us if we're counting on Agholar. Maybe they figure one out of Agholar, Hollins and Johnson step up and are decent.

I thought you were the guy who valued experience over picks.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 11 2017, 08:07 PM) *
I thought you were the guy who valued experience over picks.

Yes I am. Very much so.

But picks are the currency of the NFL, and you need to convert to picks to see how it looks.

Think of it another way.

Matthews and Darby are both FA's.

Whose experience gets more money?

If it is close, there is no way to you add a 3rd round pick.

I said I " think" we lost this one. Call it a split decision.
The Franchise
I like the trade.

The Bills also traded Sammy Watkins - Shady offered his 2 cents on the deals.....

Bills RB LeSean McCoy said Friday he can relate to Sammy Watkins being hurt after being traded "for a guy he's probably better than" in WR Jordan Matthews. McCoy, of course, was traded from the Eagles to the Bills for linebacker Kiko Alonso in 2015.

Bills RB LeSean McCoy said Friday there is "obviously a difference" between Sammy Watkins and Jordan Matthews. "If you compare the two, it's obvious you can agree who is better." However, McCoy said he will have to "wait and see" how the Bills are affected by the deal.

laugh.gif

I'll forever curse that fraud Chip Kelly for getting rid of our stars for nothing, but that's some classless shit. Should be an interesting first couple of times in the locker room together.
JeeQ
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Aug 11 2017, 06:20 PM) *
I like the trade.

The Bills also traded Sammy Watkins - Shady offered his 2 cents on the deals.....

Bills RB LeSean McCoy said Friday he can relate to Sammy Watkins being hurt after being traded "for a guy he's probably better than" in WR Jordan Matthews. McCoy, of course, was traded from the Eagles to the Bills for linebacker Kiko Alonso in 2015.

Bills RB LeSean McCoy said Friday there is "obviously a difference" between Sammy Watkins and Jordan Matthews. "If you compare the two, it's obvious you can agree who is better." However, McCoy said he will have to "wait and see" how the Bills are affected by the deal.

laugh.gif

I'll forever curse that fraud Chip Kelly for getting rid of our stars for nothing, but that's some classless shit. Should be an interesting first couple of times in the locker room together.

He's never had a problem with saying how he feels... his only problem is he says too damn much laugh.gif
D Rock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 12 2017, 02:13 AM) *
Yes I am. Very much so.

But picks are the currency of the NFL, and you need to convert to picks to see how it looks.

Think of it another way.

Matthews and Darby are both FA's.

Whose experience gets more money?

If it is close, there is no way to you add a 3rd round pick.

I said I " think" we lost this one. Call it a split decision.

The real issue here is that Darby was drafted 3 picks AFTER Eric Rowe.

(face-palm)
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 12 2017, 07:26 PM) *

(face-palm)

Just poor some lemon juice on a paper cut while you are at it.
nephillymike
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 12 2017, 02:26 PM) *

(face-palm)

Yeah, that hurts.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Aug 12 2017, 05:39 AM) *
He's never had a problem with saying how he feels... his only problem is he says too damn much laugh.gif

His problem is he is a total POS who is a good running back. Many examples of him being a dick have been rehashed on this board but him saying something like this is typical.
Joegrane
Darby and Rowe are different. Darby is a speed CB. Rowe is a physical but stiff S or zone-CB.

Darby's scouting report
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2015rdarby.php

Rowe's
https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2015erowe.php

QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 12 2017, 02:26 PM) *

(face-palm)

Zero
Zero
Doesn't Schwartz's scheme rely on man coverage for the CBs? If he and Mills can give the DL enough time to get to the QB this defense will work. Mills had a decent game the other night and has had a good camp. Here's a view of Darby from the Billswire:
It’s widely noted that players will make their biggest leap in development during their third professional season and after playing in former head coach Rex Ryan’s aggressive defense that called for a lot of man coverage for two years ...

Darby’s play took a bit of a step back in 2016, as the entire Buffalo defense seemingly fell apart. He allowed 61.3-percent of targets against him to be completed against him and he only broke up 12 passes while failing to record an interception.

Darby has great speed, plays with sound technique, possesses the instincts and ability to break on passes in a split second and is a reliable tackler ...

“Last year I dropped about four or five picks, so you know, my season wouldn’t have been that horrible if I caught those. Like, I just got to work on my hands, and that’s something I’ve been stressing.”

Linc ...
Zero
Stephon Gilmore stats

Year COMB AST Sack INT YDS TD

2016 48 6 0 5 135 0

2015 36 0 0 3 33 0

Ronald Darby stats

Year COMB AST Sack INT YDS TD
2016 69 9 0 0 0 0

2015 68 7 0 2 48 0

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.