Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Disappointed
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
So we have a average starter at best to top reserve at worst OG.

We trade him to DEN for a conditional 2019 (yes 19) 7th round pick.

Howie has got to better than this.

He needs to be able to get a decent backup at a position of need. Or maybe, a player to be named later where DEN excludes their top 40- 43 or so players and we pick from the bottom 10-13 players on their roster.

We need a player for him.

Bad move.

If nothing else, hold onto him for camp injuries and then his price goes up.

Not impressed.
Joegrane
Maybe this is also about what they are seeing from Chance Warmack. If that kid can play in this system he could be the starting L OG and Seumalo could be the starting OC next year.

Finally some have speculated that the Eagles might be trying to trade for a CB. Are they clearing cap space since R Matthews still can't be cut?

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 26 2017, 10:23 PM) *

He needs to be able to get a decent backup at a position of need. Or maybe, a player to be named later where DEN excludes their top 40- 43 or so players and we pick from the bottom 10-13 players on their roster.

Bad move.

Not impressed.

Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jul 27 2017, 12:08 AM) *
Maybe this is also about what they are seeing from Chance Warmack. If that kid can play in this system he could be the starting L OG and Seumalo could be the starting OC next year.

Finally some have speculated that the Eagles might be trying to trade for a CB. Are they clearing cap space since R Matthews still can't be cut?

All good points. Also, maybe they've been trying with no bites and wanted to do right by the player.
Rick
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 26 2017, 11:23 PM) *

Bad move.

Not impressed.

They announced they were cutting him then went and tried to trade him. I have no idea whether they could have gotten more for him but, when you say you're cutting a player, then ask for trade offers, ANYTHING you get in return is a great deal.

I think it could have been handled better and, if it were, they might have gotten more for him. I have no idea though. Trade value in the NFL is a fickle thing...
HobbEs
FWIW we still have Wisniewski who can play all three interior line positions.
Eyrie
I liked Barbre as a marginal starter/good depth and would have kept him. However at the risk of having my Axis application delayed yet again, I'd agree with Opti Mystic that he was released early to give him the best chance to catch on with a team of his choosing. Sometimes it helps to do the right thing by the player rather than hold on in hope that he could be used as a bargaining chip.
Joegrane
Maybe when Denver heard about the cut they stepped in and made the offer. I assume Denver already knew Barbre was okay with going there. Denver then avoided a possible bidding "war" with another team for Barbre.

QUOTE (Rick @ Jul 27 2017, 07:44 AM) *
They announced they were cutting him then went and tried to trade him. I have no idea whether they could have gotten more for him but, when you say you're cutting a player, then ask for trade offers, ANYTHING you get in return is a great deal.

I think it could have been handled better and, if it were, they might have gotten more for him. I have no idea though. Trade value in the NFL is a fickle thing...
Pila
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jul 27 2017, 02:17 PM) *
Maybe when Denver heard about the cut they stepped in and made the offer. I assume Denver already knew Barbre was okay with going there. Denver then avoided a possible bidding "war" with another team for Barbre.

The sequence of events aren't possible. You don't have the rights to negotiate a trade once you've released the player.
Pila
I share the disappointment - Babre was seasoned depth. Injuries are inevitable, and he was an adequate backup that could play both G and OT.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Pila @ Jul 27 2017, 11:36 AM) *
The sequence of events aren't possible. You don't have the rights to negotiate a trade once you've released the player.

Player rights are retained by the team until the league office sanctions/approves the trade.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Pila @ Jul 27 2017, 11:39 AM) *
I share the disappointment - Babre was seasoned depth. Injuries are inevitable, and her was andrew adequate backup that could play both G and OT.

Don't really get the big deal. The Eagles are deep and young on the line. Trading a 33 year old backup for a ham sandwich is ok with me. Folks need to stop treating Barbre like was a 5 time pro bowler. He was a serviceable backup. You can only carry so many ol. You have wiz, vaitai, warmack and Tobin already which means room for 1 guy and you want that guy to be 33? I like the idea of using that spot on a younger guy to groom.
Pila
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 27 2017, 05:29 PM) *
Player rights are retained by the team until the league office sanctions/approves the trade.

Don't they waive the rights to the player once they officially release him?
Pila
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 27 2017, 05:39 PM) *
Don't really get the big deal. The Eagles are deep and young on the line. Trading a 33 year old backup for a ham sandwich is ok with me. Folks need to stop treating Barbre like was a 5 time pro bowler. He was a serviceable backup. You can only carry so many ol. You have wiz, vaitai, warmack and Tobin already which means room for 1 guy and you want that guy to be 33? I like the idea of using that spot on a younger guy to groom.

I prefer the 33 veteran who has demonstrated to be an adequate backup. Some of those guys I'm not sure about.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Pila @ Jul 27 2017, 03:13 PM) *
Don't they waive the rights to the player once they officially release him?

Once it is official..... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Pila @ Jul 27 2017, 03:16 PM) *
I prefer the 33 veteran who has demonstrated to be an adequate backup. Some of those guys I'm not sure about.

The 33 year old is nothing special. Just a decent backup. Tobin is the same guy just younger.
Pila
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 27 2017, 07:29 PM) *
The 33 year old is nothing special. Just a decent backup. Tobin is the same guy just younger.

That's what I said. I just didn't add Tobin because my last impression of Tobin was that he was shit.
Pila
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 27 2017, 07:23 PM) *
Once it is official..... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

That's why I said "officially "! If it ain't official, then he wasn't released.

Jesus fucking Zeus, I'm being bullied here, ain't I?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Pila @ Jul 27 2017, 04:03 PM) *
That's why I said "officially "! If it ain't official, then he wasn't released.

Jesus fucking Zeus, I'm being bullied here, ain't I?

hahahahaha

Never..I am not a bully....lol

The Eagles can release him but until the league says it is official than the rights still belong to the team.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Pila @ Jul 27 2017, 03:59 PM) *
That's what I said. I just didn't add Tobin because my last impression of Tobin was that he was shit.

Like Barbre, he has had some good games and some bad ones. Tobin is 6 years younger so he has time to improve.

There are also some other guys that the Eagles are very high on at Tackle and the guys I mentioned also provide a lot of depth at guard. Vaitai will be their primary Tackle backup...again, much younger.
Joegrane
The younger guy will be more likely to want to play special teams if he is even going to be active on game day.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 27 2017, 04:45 PM) *
Like Barbre, he has had some good games and some bad ones. Tobin is 6 years younger so he has time to improve.

There are also some other guys that the Eagles are very high on at Tackle and the guys I mentioned also provide a lot of depth at guard. Vaitai will be their primary Tackle backup...again, much younger.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 27 2017, 04:45 PM) *

Tobin blows.

Barbre is decent.

They said he turned down a pay cut.

If you are not getting a decent return for him, keep him as injury protection for us or until he gets a good injury return from someone else.

He's worth a decent fourth corner in this league or a fourth LB on a team that has good depth.

Getting a conditional 7th is malpractice.

Simple as that.
nephillymike
And the weakest link, who Seamalo also can replace at C, still remains seemingly unchallenged.
Pila
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 27 2017, 09:40 PM) *
hahahahaha

Never..I am not a bully....lol

The Eagles can release him but until the league says it is official than the rights still belong to the team.

So the Eagles released him, telegraphed the transaction to the NFL. Intern took his sweet time processing the transaction, probably out getting his 10 thousand steps, stopped to take a shit on his or her way back. In the meantime, Denver gets a Raven from the East, advising them of Barbre's release and sends smoke signals that if NFL intern hadn't confirmed the transaction that they have a future conditional 8th round pick if they retract Babre's release. So Eagles cancel transaction before NFL intern returns grim her power walk?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.