Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Worst pick ever?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
The Franchise
2 years too late, but I guess Howie finally discovered shame.

What an absolute bust. Mamula at least started for 5 years, and FredEx for 4. Hell, Jerome McDougle managed to stay on the field for most of 2 seasons while getting shot in between said seasons.

Danny Watkins and Jon Harris both managed to start a few games here and there during their shitty careers. Marcus Smith has NEVER even started a game. The only time you even realized he was on the field was when Frank Gore was running free for a 55 yard touchdown.

For my money, Marcus Smith is the worst Eagles draft pick in the modern era.
mcnabbulous
Watkins is unquestionably a worse pick
SAM I Am
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jul 26 2017, 08:36 PM) *
2 years too late, but I guess Howie finally discovered shame.

What an absolute bust. Mamula at least started for 5 years, and FredEx for 4. Hell, Jerome McDougle managed to stay on the field for most of 2 seasons while getting shot in between said seasons.

Danny Watkins and Jon Harris both managed to start a few games here and there during their shitty careers. Marcus Smith has NEVER even started a game. The only time you even realized he was on the field was when Frank Gore was running free for a 55 yard touchdown.

For my money, Marcus Smith is the worst Eagles draft pick in the modern era.

Kevin Allen

Kevin Allen, worst draft pick in Eagles' history

"Allen was a complete bust the moment he stepped on the football field for the Eagles, starting at tackle against the New York Giants in 1985...a game which the Eagles allowed eight sacks. He would start four games for the Eagles in 1985, before being relegated to special teams late in the season.

Once Allen reported to Eagles trying camp in 1986, he tested positive for cocaine. The Eagles cut him two months later, as new head coach Buddy Ryan ended the failed experiment (Marion Campbell drafted him).

One week after Allen's release, Allen was charged with rape and spent 33 months in prison. He was based for life from the NFL, but later reinstated in 1991.

Easily the worst draft pick in Eagles history. "
The Franchise
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Jul 26 2017, 09:52 PM) *
Kevin Allen

Never even heard of him - but after looking him up, I'll agree with you since he was a #9 pick and spent 1 freaking year with the team, starting 4 games. On top of his off the field crap.
The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jul 26 2017, 09:44 PM) *
Watkins is unquestionably a worse pick

I don't care if you want to rank Watkins or Harris (or now Allen) as worse, but any one of them is valid. Watkins certainly had more expectations and hype, while Smith going in the first had people scratching their heads. I just put Smith above him because he couldn't even start one game here, and the only memory any of us will have of his time here is Frank Gore running free for over half the length of the field. At least with Watkins none of us have any memory of him.
mcnabbulous
Watkins was 26 years old (for a team that rarely kept guys into their 30s) at a non impact position.

Worst pick ever.
JeeQ
Can't say I didn't see this coming...
nephillymike
Since 1980

1. Allen
2. M. Smith
3. Renfro
4. Haddix
5. Harris
6. McDougle
7. Kenny Jackson
8. Watkins
9. Williams OT
10. F. Mitchell
HM L. Mitchell OT
INC N. Agholar

Part of Axis training is a thorough knowledge of our team's failures. If the fireman is only bad enough to rank 8th, that's draft sucktitude unseen anywhere else.
The Franchise
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 27 2017, 08:44 PM) *
Since 1980

1. Allen
2. M. Smith
3. Renfro
4. Haddix
5. Harris
6. McDougle
7. Kenny Jackson
8. Watkins
9. Williams OT
10. F. Mitchell
HM L. Mitchell OT
INC N. Agholar

Part of Axis training is a thorough knowledge of our team's failures. If the fireman is only bad enough to rank 8th, that's draft sucktitude unseen anywhere else.

I'm unaware of what the Axis thing is about, but when it comes to the Eagles' long history of failures, I'm quite content with my knowledge of 1990-present. You old-timers are more than welcome to remind me of the 70's and 80's, and I'll just tune you out. tongue.gif

But the fact that you put Marcus at #2 shows how terrible that pick truly was. I disagree with some other places, but whatever. Agholor has shown some promise to leap up that list, though he'll never be top-3.
nephillymike
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jul 27 2017, 09:21 PM) *
I'm unaware of what the Axis thing is about, but when it comes to the Eagles' long history of failures, I'm quite content with my knowledge of 1990-present. You old-timers are more than welcome to remind me of the 70's and 80's, and I'll just tune you out. tongue.gif

But the fact that you put Marcus at #2 shows how terrible that pick truly was. I disagree with some other places, but whatever. Agholor has shown some promise to leap up that list, though he'll never be top-3.

Back in the day, the Axis of Evil was the name given by the Mousketeers (fans who blindly follow the team and refrain from any criticism). Mousketeers loved anything Eagles front office and Reid did, while the Axis criticized everything he did. The Axis It was taken from GW Bush's name for the terrorist nations of Iran, Iraq, and North Korea.

Eyrie has been trying to get in as of late, despite his early Mouseketeer roots.
The Franchise
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 27 2017, 10:30 PM) *
Back in the day, the Axis of Evil was the name given by the Mousketeers (fans who blindly follow the team and refrain from any criticism). Mousketeers loved anything Eagles front office and Reid did, while the Axis criticized everything he did. The Axis It was taken from GW Bush's name for the terrorist nations of Iran, Iraq, and North Korea.

Eyrie has been trying to get in as of late, despite his early Mouseketeer roots.

Well call me the Axis then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.