Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Birds cut another 1st round pick
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
SAM I Am
Goodbye Marcus Smith.

Eagles cut 2014 1st round pick Marcus Smith

Also, Allen Barbre no longer an Eagle. Isaac Seumalo named starter at LG.

Eagles trade Allen Barbre to Denver
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Jul 26 2017, 05:15 PM) *
Goodbye Marcus Smith.

Barbre may be back, I am doubting he will command bigger bucks elsewhere
Eyrie
Barbre was traded to Denver for a conditional pick. I was surprised that he was gone, given his ability to cover T, but was then reminded in an article that Seumalo can also fill in as the fourth choice behind the starters and Vaitai.

Smith? Did nothing on the field and couldn't be bothered showing up for spring camp when he knew his job was on the line.
Joegrane
I'm surprised that they cut Smith this early. You never know what might happen in camp. He knows the system and would have been an above average depth guy.

He would have been a disappointment if he had been drafted where some mocks had him--low 2nd or 3rd round. However, as a third rounder he would not have been a bust. It was not his fault that someone drafted him in the 1st.

Do you doubt that he'll be playing in the NFL this year?

QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Jul 26 2017, 04:15 PM) *
Goodbye Marcus Smith.

Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jul 26 2017, 10:50 PM) *
However, as a third rounder he would not have been a bust. It was not his fault that someone drafted him in the 1st.

Not sure why you say this. He didn't do anything and you expect a third rounder to contribute.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jul 27 2017, 03:50 AM) *
Do you doubt that he'll be playing in the NFL this year?

I have no doubt that he will not be playing in the NFL this year.

He may get picked up by a team wanting to look at him in camp, but they'd have to be crippled by injuries to keep him. I refer you to my previous post for why.
Joegrane
Saying he "got kind of a raw deal" seems excessive but his point about the performance in 2016 is what I was referring to previously.

Smith actually showed signs of life under Jim Schwartz in 2016. Of the 61 defensive ends in 4-3 schemes with at least 100 pass-rush opportunities, Smith ranked 43rd in pass-rush productivity, according to Pro Football Focus.

... it’s not very difficult to imagine Smith catching on somewhere else and making an impact as a situational pass rusher this season. He’s only 25, packs sub-4.7 speed into a 6-3, 265-pound frame, and once Schwartz simplified the defense and turned him loose at defensive end last season, we saw a marked difference in his performance. Albeit, his performance was still replacement level,
http://www.csnphilly.com/the700level/marcu...raw-deal-eagles

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jul 27 2017, 08:25 AM) *
I have no doubt that he will not be playing in the NFL this year.

He may get picked up by a team wanting to look at him in camp, but they'd have to be crippled by injuries to keep him. I refer you to my previous post for why.

Zero
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.