Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On the Nerlens Noel front.....
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Reality Fan
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nerlens-noel-i...-214401408.html

Looks like he is not getting that predicted huge contract after all.....

Can't say that was hard to see coming...
nephillymike
Got to love an "I told you so" post to kick things off!
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 19 2017, 06:12 AM) *
Got to love an "I told you so" post to kick things off!

could not resist...sorry.....
D Rock
Ain't no fat ladies singing yet.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jul 19 2017, 04:16 PM) *
Ain't no fat ladies singing yet.

Very true.......not looking good for him but there is still time. His biggest problem is that the number of teams with money has shrunk considerably.
HobbEs
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 20 2017, 08:07 AM) *
Very true.......not looking good for him but there is still time. His biggest problem is that the number of teams with money has shrunk considerably.

Lol, his problem is that he's a one dimensional player looking for a max deal.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Jul 20 2017, 09:14 AM) *
Lol, his problem is that he's a one dimensional player looking for a max deal.

Oh I agree, I thought others here overvalued him. He is a nice backup, athletic to be sure but not much if any more than Holmes. The teams in the league are not going to pay him crazy numbers for that.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 20 2017, 01:07 PM) *

Most of the restricted free agents have struggled.

Nerlens is a starter on at least 20 teams in the association.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jul 20 2017, 05:26 PM) *
Most of the restricted free agents have struggled.

Nerlens is a starter on at least 20 teams in the association.

Unfortunately there are no teams with the cap room to waste on him. I don't doubt there are a few teams that he could start for, 20 is an insane number though. Maybe 6. Washington, The Bucks, The Knicks, The Lakers, The Kings and the Warriors who can't afford him. I may have missed a team that lost a FA but I don't think so. Other than that there is not one other team where he would be an upgrade over their starter or as good.

It is the reason he has no leverage in Dallas, because no one in the keague is interested in him because he is a backup who is looking for a max deal.
nephillymike
When the league revenues increased significantly because of the new tv deal, the players association elected to take the big increase in cap in year one, as opposed to spreading it out more evenly. The result was that those who became FA last year go huge raises and teams used up much of their future cap for them, leaving not as much for those entering FA this year. In hindsight, that was a foolish decision.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 22 2017, 06:20 AM) *
When the league revenues increased significantly because of the new tv deal, the players association elected to take the big increase in cap in year one, as opposed to spreading it out more evenly. The result was that those who became FA last year go huge raises and teams used up much of their future cap for them, leaving not as much for those entering FA this year. In hindsight, that was a foolish decision.

No question.....and now the question becomes will the NBA collapse under it own salary weight.

Look at Noel.....he has not even got a sniff other than from Dallas which is why he is where he is. While I did not think he was going to get the bonanza deal I thought some teams would look at him. Because he was looking for so much not one team outside the Mavs wanted him.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 22 2017, 03:20 PM) *
No question.....and now the question becomes will the NBA collapse under it own salary weight.

Look at Noel.....he has not even got a sniff other than from Dallas which is why he is where he is. While I did not think he was going to get the bonanza deal I thought some teams would look at him. Because he was looking for so much not one team outside the Mavs wanted him.

He's restricted. Other than Otto, no restricted guys got "looked at."

Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jul 22 2017, 11:44 AM) *
He's restricted. Other than Otto, no restricted guys got "looked at."

Several signed with their old teams...Noel can't even do that because he wants more than Dallas wants to offer and no one else is offering him a dime.

Again, I was not the one who said teams would be lining up for him.....he is a back up...and will likely have to settle for the Mavs one year offer.
nephillymike
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/transactions/2017/all/center/

Only Olynyk, at 50M for 4 yrs has received significant money in the center market.

Noel needs to suck it up, take what the restricted market gives him this year, play hard and hit the open market next year to see what the backup center market bears in 2018.

I'm happy we have Holmes.
Reality Fan
His biggest problem is that he thinks he is something that he is not and that the market today is not the market from a year ago.
D Rock
You are spot on re: the market.

It's interesting how the short run of the playoffs, due to the dominance of the "super teams," affected the t.v. revenue, and lowered the projected cap by as much as it did. It'll be very interesting how the association attempts to respond to this in the next cba.

Say what you will, they are more willing to adjust the rules to benefit their game than most other pro spots. I love the changes they've made this year. Taking away late half time-outs will not only end those excruciatingly slow late game situations, but it'll put the outcome of close games in the hands of the players, and out of the hands of coaches (and hopefully refs).

I think more highly of Nerlens as a player, than you do. His defensive I.Q. and mobility put him in the top 10 of defensive centers. He's a poor man's DeAndre Jordan to my eyes. And he can hit his free-throws. Time will tell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.