Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One Man's Guess at the Sixers Playing Time
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Listed by positions they will be defending. This team is trending towards positionless basketball. Even though Simmons will be the point on offense, he likely will not guard the opposition PG. I used increments of 6 min, which are half quarters. The assumption is everyone is healthy, and it is a game we're trying to win.

Here's my guess, listed by player, total min per game, broken down by position:

Name...........Tot.......C........PF........SF........SG..........PG
Embiid..........36.......36.......-...........-..........-.............-.
Simmons.......30.......-.........-..........30........-.............-.
Covington......24......-..........-..........18........6............-.
Redick...........24.......-.........-...........-.........24...........-.
Saric.............24.......-........24.........-..........-.............-.
Fultz..............24......-.........-..........-...........-............24.
Johnson.........18......-.........18........-...........-.............-.
Stauskas........12.....-...........-.........-..........6.............6.
TLC...............12......-..........-.........-..........12............-.
Holmes..........12.....12........-..........-..........-.............-.
Bayless..........12......-.........-..........-..........-.............12.
McConnell.......6.......-.........-..........-..........-..............6.
Okafor............6.......-.........6.........-..........-...............-.
Anderson.......dnp....-.........-..........-..........-..............-.
Poythruss.......dnp...-.........-..........-..........-..............-.
=======================================
Bolden..........split contract
Korkmaz.......split contract

That's 13 players seeing time on a given night. A lot different than the nine men rotations we saw for part of last year. Also we can use two more with the new split contract arrangement with the G league. Too few minutes to go around.

Sure, there will be nights off and injuries that will free up playing time. But this is not how I think they will dole out the time, but my guess how they should do it if it was playoffs or bust.

Anyone in the barren desert to opine?
Joegrane
Anderson will be the #2 SF and get more minutes than TLC.

Simmons will defend the PF while Covington guards the SF. Don't you want the opponent to use a PF to try to stay in front of a 6-10 PG? I'm not so sure Simmons is going to earn 30 min. We'll see if he is going to be a turnover machine for the opponents.

There is no way I want Embiid playing those minutes regularly with his health history. He still has to prove that his body can handle more than backup C minutes over the course of a season. They have plenty of bodies at that position and they need Okafor to get minutes in order to show trade value. Those minutes will come at Holmes' expense.

I won't be surprised if both Bayless and Fultz are around 18min. They have a similar role, no? If I'm the coach I want Fultz to be learning from Bayless. So Fultz has to earn more minutes than the veteran Bayless. I would probably start Bayless on opening day unless he clearly is not the better player.

Also by bringing in Fultz off the bench he will be a true PG with the #2 unit. He is probably better suited for that role than Bayless, no?

So the second unit would be Fultz, Stauskas, Anderson, Saric and Okafor. They'll score but not so sure they'll defend or rebound well.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 14 2017, 09:11 PM) *
Listed by positions they will be defending. This team is trending towards positionless basketball. Even though Simmons will be the point on offense, he likely will not guard the opposition PG. I used increments of 6 min, which are half quarters. The assumption is everyone is healthy, and it is a game we're trying to win.

Here's my guess, listed by player, total min per game, broken down by position:

Name...........Tot.......C........PF........SF........SG..........PG
Embiid..........36.......36.......-...........-..........-.............-.
Simmons.......30.......-.........-..........30........-.............-.
Covington......24......-..........-..........18........6............-.
Redick...........24.......-.........-...........-.........24...........-.
Saric.............24.......-........24.........-..........-.............-.
Fultz..............24......-.........-..........-...........-............24.
Johnson.........18......-.........18........-...........-.............-.
Stauskas........12.....-...........-.........-..........6.............6.
TLC...............12......-..........-.........-..........12............-.
Holmes..........12.....12........-..........-..........-.............-.
Bayless..........12......-.........-..........-..........-.............12.
McConnell.......6.......-.........-..........-..........-..............6.
Okafor............6.......-.........6.........-..........-...............-.
Anderson.......dnp....-.........-..........-..........-..............-.
Poythruss.......dnp...-.........-..........-..........-..............-.
=======================================
Bolden..........split contract
Korkmaz.......split contract

That's 13 players seeing time on a given night. A lot different than the nine men rotations we saw for part of last year. Also we can use two more with the new split contract arrangement with the G league. Too few minutes to go around.

Sure, there will be nights off and injuries that will free up playing time. But this is not how I think they will dole out the time, but my guess how they should do it if it was playoffs or bust.

Anyone in the barren desert to opine?

Joegrane
Bolden--2nd round PF-- is being stashed in Isreal. That makes sense. It will give him more PT and probably more $. I assume PF Johnson is here on a 1 year deal which will give Bolden an opportunity next year.
http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-76er...ael-next-season

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jul 16 2017, 11:56 PM) *
Anderson will be the #2 SF and get more minutes than TLC.

Simmons will defend the PF while Covington guards the SF. Don't you want the opponent to use a PF to try to stay in front of a 6-10 PG? I'm not so sure Simmons is going to earn 30 min. We'll see if he is going to be a turnover machine for the opponents.

There is no way I want Embiid playing those minutes regularly with his health history. He still has to prove that his body can handle more than backup C minutes over the course of a season. They have plenty of bodies at that position and they need Okafor to get minutes in order to show trade value. Those minutes will come at Holmes' expense.

I won't be surprised if both Bayless and Fultz are around 18min. They have a similar role, no? If I'm the coach I want Fultz to be learning from Bayless. So Fultz has to earn more minutes than the veteran Bayless. I would probably start Bayless on opening day unless he clearly is not the better player.

Also by bringing in Fultz off the bench he will be a true PG with the #2 unit. He is probably better suited for that role than Bayless, no?

So the second unit would be Fultz, Stauskas, Anderson, Saric and Okafor. They'll score but not so sure they'll defend or rebound well.

nephillymike
One thing that you mentioned is cause for me to refigure my PT by position.

I need to think of who the starting unit is and where they will play as starters and then divvy up the minutes from there. It will change the min at each position (not the total minutes each of them play).

Embiid and Simmons are locks as starters.

I need to figure which three of Covington, Fultz, Saric and Redick will start and go from there.

I will revise later on.

D Rock
There is no question...

The starters will be

Jojo
Simmons
Covington
Redick
Fultz

Reality Fan
Listening to Brown talk I think the starting 5 will be Embid, Simmons, Reddick, Fultz and Saric with Covington backing up Reddick.

D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 18 2017, 04:36 PM) *
Listening to Brown talk I think the starting 5 will be Embid, Simmons, Reddick, Fultz and Saric with Covington backing up Reddick.

No way Saric starts. I've been telling y'all for 9 months now... Saric is not a starter for a good team. We are now a good team. RoCo is our best wing defender, by a huge margin. There is virtually zero chance he's NOT in the starting line-up.

This is the best prediction of mins distribution I've seen.

More Reading on Saric vs. Covington
bwc2112
Why are we talking Ballet on a football forum? I'd rather watch Fishing on the radio.
nephillymike
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jul 18 2017, 02:25 PM) *
No way Saric starts. I've been telling y'all for 9 months now... Saric is not a starter for a good team. We are now a good team. RoCo is our best wing defender, by a huge margin. There is virtually zero chance he's NOT in the starting line-up.

This is the best prediction of mins distribution I've seen.

More Reading on Saric vs. Covington

I am glad that guy reads our board.

One thing that jumps off the page at me. A. Johnson was good enough to play 20 minutes for the 1 seed Celtics but can't break double digits for our 500 team with a need at that spot? I guess Embiid is on minutes restrictions at 28 min a game? He had 25 last year. I need to check it over closer.
nephillymike
Ok, here are my shifts by position. These are half quarter shifts of six minutes each. This assumes that this is a must win game and everyone is healthy. The best five start and the best five finish. I too have a 13 man active lineup, but I have Okafor over Anderson. I know it's only one shift, but my thinking is that although Anderson is a better fit for that shift, we need to hang on to a Okafor as he is more valuable injury insurance. With Korkmaz and Poythruss being the other DNPs, with Bolden playing overseas, Anderson is more easily replaced on the roster in case of injury. If you say we should hang on to Okafor and DNP him over Anderson, I'm ok with it.

Here goes. 1-1 Means 1st half of the first quarter and so on. When I coached basketball I would go into every game with target shifts for playing time and I just adjusted it on the fly based on the game. The shifts are based on who they defend. The total minutes allocation is unchanged but the positions are a little here and there.

POS....1-1.....1-2.....2-1.....2-2.......3-1.....3-2....4-1......4-2
C........Emb....Emb...Hol.....Emb.....Emb.....Hol....Emb...Emb
PF.......Sim.....Joh....Sar.....Joh.......Joh......Sar.....Sar.....Sim
SF.......Cov.....Sar.....Cov....Sim......Sim.....Oka....Sim....Cov
SG......Red.....Sta.....Red...TLC.......TLC.....Red....Cov.....Red
PG.......Ful.....Bay.....Ful.....McC......Sta.....Ful.....Bay.....Ful

DNP's - Anderson, Poythruss, Korkmaz and whoever gets the 17th spot.

Maybe a tweak here or there. Saric guarding the SF that one shift is not ideal, nor is Oka guarding the SF for one shift. I am higher on Johnson (Joh) than most, but he played 20 minutes and started most games and put up solid sabermetrics against good competition for a team much better than us. I think his defense will be welcome minutes, He had top 50 NBA sabremetrics for a good team.

One thing for sure, minutes are tough to earn on this team THIS year. Sure we can tweak them based on the competitiveness of the game, but we will be in close games all year and little margin for error.
Eyrie
QUOTE (bwc2112 @ Jul 19 2017, 12:13 AM) *
Why are we talking Ballet on a football forum? I'd rather watch Fishing on the radio.

devil03.gif

One week until training camp starts.
nephillymike
Hey D R and RF.

Nothing on my shifts or PT?

There is only a few days left until we get in to our real purpose in life.

Show me your PT breakdown and shifts!
nephillymike
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nba/7327...-winners-losers

No winners nor losers.

A bunch of highly drafted rookies looked real good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.