Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wentz, Part Deux
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
No question he's had accuracy problems, especially on the deep balls. But remember the unusual move to deny DeFilippo the chance to interview with the Jets. This is his second year and not only is the team trying to keep his education consistent, they're helping him with players on both sides of the ball. If the OL, new receivers and running game can put him in a similar place where Prescott was last year, a lot of pressure will be off of his shoulders. If the D can keep the other team off the field and hold the score down he'll be in a really good place.
Wentz threw the second most passes while relying on a collective group of skill players — Zach Ertz, Jordan Matthews, Darren Sproles, Nelson Agholor and Dorial Green-Beckham — that ranked 14th out of 20. Compare that to Dak Prescott, who had the second best supporting cast over the last decade (a combined AV of 46) while throwing just 459 passes on the year, and it’s easy to see why one excelled while the other was inconsistent.
This context underscores why we shouldn’t be so quick to write off Carson Wentz. He has holes in his game that he must improve, and if he fails to make strides this offseason he will likely be inconsistent again next year. But the simple fact remains that Wentz was asked to do so much with so little support for a significant part of the season. That is a tall order for any quarterback, let alone a rookie quarterback who missed most of training camp because of injury and who, just 9 days before the start of the regular season, was operating under the assumption that he was going to be the third string quarterback. If he can overcome his flaws, Wentz has the tools to be a franchise quarterback. It just won’t happen overnight. Like almost every other young quarterback to come through the NFL, Wentz needs a few years before he finally reaches his full potential.
Linc ...
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jul 6 2017, 05:26 AM) *
No question he's had accuracy problems, especially on the deep balls. But remember the unusual move to deny DeFilippo the chance to interview with the Jets. This is his second year and not only is the team trying to keep his education consistent, they're helping him with players on both sides of the ball. If the OL, new receivers and running game can put him in a similar place where Prescott was last year, a lot of pressure will be off of his shoulders. If the D can keep the other team off the field and hold the score down he'll be in a really good place.
Linc ...

All true but the most basic skill of QB play is accuracy.

He needs to turn those over the middle high and wides to strikes in the bread basket.

His improved supporting cast will help, but it is mostly on him. Step into the throw and follow through to prevent sailing.

The large majority of QBs improve in year two, but the large majority of them by only a little bit.

He's got the work ethic and mental makeup. He needs the accuracy. I know he'll put the time in. Hopefully the results will follow.

Joegrane
This year he'll have weapons who get open and others who can make a catch in traffic. That will make him look more accurate.

He'll also likely have better protection from the O Line and more reliable running game.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 6 2017, 08:00 PM) *

The large majority of QBs improve in year two, but the large majority of them by only a little bit.

He's got the work ethic and mental makeup. He needs the accuracy. I know he'll put the time in. Hopefully the results will follow.

Pila
Protection and trust (OL & WR) are the real factors of a QB's accuracy. Which is why we will see a major improvement in Wentz' accuracy this season.
Birdbrain
It's an old and trusted drum to beat, but being more balanced offensively is going to really help.

In terms of identity, I see a team that has gotten more aggressive on both sides of the ball, which mirrors Carson's vibe.

Offensively, we added the likes of a Blount coupled with a phalanx of pass-catchers that, by all accounts, appear to be the sort of players who actually go after the ball when it's in the air rather than slow down, make a basket with their hands, and purse their lips like supermodels. Sounds like this attitude is even rubbing off on Nellie. Perhaps thanks to Groh?

Defensively, we focused on the defensive line and brought in disruptive guys like Jernigan and Long and Barnett, to go with physical-minded corners like Rasul.

Whether or not this all translates into wins remains to be seen, but it feels like this is the attitude they're going for, and I think it fits well with Wentzalicious, given his natural ballsiness back there.

What do you guys think?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdbrain @ Jul 10 2017, 10:10 AM) *
It's an old and trusted drum to beat, but being more balanced offensively is going to really help.

In terms of identity, I see a team that has gotten more aggressive on both sides of the ball, which mirrors Carson's vibe.

Offensively, we added the likes of a Blount coupled with a phalanx of pass-catchers that, by all accounts, appear to be the sort of players who actually go after the ball when it's in the air rather than slow down, make a basket with their hands, and purse their lips like supermodels. Sounds like this attitude is even rubbing off on Nellie. Perhaps thanks to Groh?

Defensively, we focused on the defensive line and brought in disruptive guys like Jernigan and Long and Barnett, to go with physical-minded corners like Rasul.

Whether or not this all translates into wins remains to be seen, but it feels like this is the attitude they're going for, and I think it fits well with Wentzalicious, given his natural ballsiness back there.

What do you guys think?

Wow! How have you been? How long has it been?

My son still talks about that fun tailgate the year you and your Dad came out. My son is now a senior in college, that's how long it's been.
Birdbrain
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 10 2017, 08:19 PM) *
Wow! How have you been? How long has it been?

My son still talks about that fun tailgate the year you and your Dad came out. My son is now a senior in college, that's how long it's been.

Mikey! Things have been fabulous. How about yourself?? That tailgate was a BLAST. I can't believe your boy is already in college! That is awesome. Give him a big high-five for me. My dad and I still talk about that day quite often. We really should get the band back together for another one this year!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.