Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PFF rates leagues OLs
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Out of all the offensive lines in the NFL, the Eagles currently have the fewest holes. Their biggest question mark heading into 2017 is center Jason Kelce, who is a former PFF All-Pro (2013) in his own right. They also have dominant players like Lane Johnson, who was the best right tackle in the NFL a season ago when on the field.
They’ve (Cowboys OL) been the class of the league for so long, but a line can only survive so many hits. Ronald Leary and Doug Free weren’t at the caliber of Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, or Zack Martin, but they were quality players in their own right. The big question mark is La’el Collins moving to right tackle. Tackle was his more natural college position, but his below-average performance at guard isn’t too encouraging.
Here ...

There were a couple of things that allowed Prescott to be so successful last year, and his OL was one of them. The Cowboys have generally been considered to have the best OL in the league the past few years, adding Elliot, Bryant and even Beasley shot him to success. There would be nothing I'd like more than to see Collins flop at starting tackle and have Dak under constant pressure from an improved Eagles rush.

Saying that, this line is going to have to prove how good it is. Peters can't fall off the edge, Johnson has to stay healthy and clean and Kelce has to handle the massive bull rushers. Between Brooks, Barbre, Seumalo and Wiz they should be very solid at guard and center. If these guys are as good as PFF says, Wentz has Jeffery (his Bryant), Smith to stretch things and either Matthews or Agholor (see what I just did) in the slot. This year should show a more even comparison of the two QBs, IMO.
nephillymike
I like it!

Not happy that they have not had Wiz or Seamalo challenge Kelce in the camps up till now.

Maybe he's their blind spot, maybe they watch different film than the games I saw last year, or maybe they just don't want to make it look like he's a potential backup so not to diminish his trade value. Hopefully it's the latter.

When there are 32 starting centers, 27th isn't good. Between the bad snaps and getting blown up, it was tough on Wentz to master good footwork with that center play. At a minimum, he should be in a dog fight for his job.
Joegrane
The depth is impressive on the Eagles' O line.

I wonder when Peters will move to the right side. He along with Brooks would be a very imposing force. Eventually Peters could move inside to G but I certainly don't expect that this year.

QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 28 2017, 04:45 AM) *
Saying that, this line is going to have to prove how good it is. Peters can't fall off the edge, Johnson has to stay healthy and clean and Kelce has to handle the massive bull rushers. Between Brooks, Barbre, Seumalo and Wiz they should be very solid at guard and center. If these guys are as good as PFF says, Wentz has Jeffery (his Bryant), Smith to stretch things and either Matthews or Agholor (see what I just did) in the slot. This year should show a more even comparison of the two QBs, IMO.

Dreagon
I'm more concerned about us at guard. Of course it's just practice, but so far the coaches are pleased with how Collins is transitioning back to tackle. But what we've got competing for left guard are a bunch of unknown quantities. If one doesn't step up and at least be decent, that could cause us to start running to one side a whole lot, and defenses love it when you fall into those kinds of tendencies.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jun 28 2017, 05:00 PM) *
I'm more concerned about us at guard. Of course it's just practice, but so far the coaches are pleased with how Collins is transitioning back to tackle. But what we've got competing for left guard are a bunch of unknown quantities. If one doesn't step up and at least be decent, that could cause us to start running to one side a whole lot, and defenses love it when you fall into those kinds of tendencies.

I was surprised that they had Collins as struggling at OG.

Is that the way you saw it?
Dreagon
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 28 2017, 07:35 PM) *
I was surprised that they had Collins as struggling at OG.

Is that the way you saw it?

I thought he was "okay", but he's a natural tackle instead of a road grader. When he got hurt and was replaced by a true gaurd like Leary, it was an improvement. But we had Free at tackle, and didn't want to pay Leary a long term contract. It was cheaper just to tag Leary and make him a backup to Collins (which was a classic case of not putting your best man on the field because of other considerations)

A lot of people treat guard like it's a great place to stick a guy who can't quite cut it as tackle, and I just don't agree with that. A guard and a tackle are two different positions, with different priorities and responsibilities.
Joegrane
But it gives a team a way to utilize a backup OT, such an important and fairly expensive position to fill

QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jun 28 2017, 09:03 PM) *

A lot of people treat guard like it's a great place to stick a guy who can't quite cut it as tackle, and I just don't agree with that. A guard and a tackle are two different positions, with different priorities and responsibilities.

Dreagon
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jun 28 2017, 10:13 PM) *
But it gives a team a way to utilize a backup OT, such an important and fairly expensive position to fill

Which is pretty much what we were doing with Collins. It's just that by doing that, we didn't have our best left gaurd on the field during the early part of the season.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.