Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What if we traded all of the Sixers' 2nd round picks?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
We own four second round picks, #s36, 39, 46, 50.

The trade value chart says combined, those picks are worth the value of the 16th pick of the draft. Now I know that the historical performance may say it's worth the 16 th pick, however the FMV is not that high. I am wondering could we get a pick in the mid 20's? Would we want to do this? My gut says no. Take the four crap shoots and roll the dice, making a few of them Euro stashes. Colangelo says teams are calling, asking about our 2nds. For what?

The top heaviness of the NBA draft is a strange thing. Most years, the second round doesn't bear fruit. Maybe this year will be different.

An ode to DRock:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers...picks-2017.html

D Rock
LMAO

Brookover is a moron. He's been getting hammered over that ham-handed whack job on the fultz trade that began "I've never seen him play, but...".

I personally, don't think much of 2nd round picks. You'd likely find similar players in open try-outs. For every Draymond uncovered, there are hundreds of guys who never see an NBA court.

I know as football fans, we have a certain perception of the value of a draft. But in the NBA, anything outside the lottery is very long odds. As for their value in a trade market, I'm often surprised at how much they're talked about. On one hand you see them tossed around like meaningless trinkets at the county fair, then see a real player with starting potential like Noel get traded for a pair of them.

I think the D league, and the new rule allowing teams to hold 2 additional roster spots for players assigned there, will serve to perhaps increase their value. But I would be hesitant to give up much in exchange for 2, 3, or even 4 second round picks in the 2017 NBA draft.
Joegrane
There is some buzz that the Sixers are thinking about moving one or more players such as Stauskas. Maybe they will look to package one of the second round picks in such a deal.

They'll need to do something to clear roster space for those 2nd rounders.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 19 2017, 10:00 PM) *
We own four second round picks, #s36, 39, 46, 50.

The trade value chart says combined, those picks are worth the value of the 16th pick of the draft. Now I know that the historical performance may say it's worth the 16 th pick, however the FMV is not that high. I am wondering could we get a pick in the mid 20's? Would we want to do this? My gut says no. Take the four crap shoots and roll the dice, making a few of them Euro stashes. Colangelo says teams are calling, asking about our 2nds. For what?

The top heaviness of the NBA draft is a strange thing. Most years, the second round doesn't bear fruit. Maybe this year will be different.

An ode to DRock:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers...picks-2017.html

D Rock
While I think they'll move some of the current guys, I think the chances of finding someone better than Sauce in the 2nd round are extremely slim.

He came into the league at 19, and was hazed miserably by Boogie Cousins. At one point, Cousins attacked him on a post-game flight threatening to kill him. It fucked with his still teenaged head, and required a change of scenery for him (Cousins too). Nick can shoot the rock, and has developed a handle and slashing element to his offensive game. He's got size, and effort on D. Too many wrote him off as a bust, without considering the story of his rookie year in Sacramento which was/is possibly the most fucked up franchise in the league.

My point is that Stauskas has value. To have him as a 4th guard would be a bit of a luxury though, so you may have to sell. But another solid season would likely increase the return so I'm not in a hurry to move him. If he gets his 3pnt% a tick up to 40%, he could be a nice moveable asset at the trade deadline.

For me, if I'm moving a player, it's Dario. I've said numerous times that his value will never be higher than it is right now. His game is too below the rim, and his ceiling here is "roll player coming off the bench." When you have a guy with that kind of ceiling on your roster, and a ROY perceived level of value . . . it's time to sell.
Joegrane
Any thoughts on making roster spots for all of the rookies? If I understand correctly, two can be stashed in the D League.

Trading a player such as Stauskas plus a 2nd round pick for a pick used on a young European player might be wise.

Also I don't think they want players like Stauskas taking minutes away from the young core.

I don't think they care about their W total for next year only about developing their young core.

QUOTE (D Rock @ Jun 20 2017, 12:38 AM) *
While I think they'll move some of the current guys, I think the chances of finding someone better than Sauce in the 2nd round are extremely slim.

He came into the league at 19, and was hazed miserably by Boogie Cousins. At one point, Cousins attacked him on a post-game flight threatening to kill him. It fucked with his still teenaged head, and required a change of scenery for him (Cousins too). Nick can shoot the rock, and has developed a handle and slashing element to his offensive game. He's got size, and effort on D. Too many wrote him off as a bust, without considering the story of his rookie year in Sacramento which was/is possibly the most fucked up franchise in the league.

My point is that Stauskas has value. To have him as a 4th guard would be a bit of a luxury though, so you may have to sell. But another solid season would likely increase the return so I'm not in a hurry to move him. If he gets his 3pnt% a tick up to 40%, he could be a nice moveable asset at the trade deadline.

For me, if I'm moving a player, it's Dario. I've said numerous times that his value will never be higher than it is right now. His game is too below the rim, and his ceiling here is "roll player coming off the bench." When you have a guy with that kind of ceiling on your roster, and a ROY perceived level of value . . . it's time to sell.
D Rock
I would be shocked if we drafted 5 players.
nephillymike
Upon further review, 2nd round picks are less valuable than I thought.

https://the-cauldron.com/the-2nd-round-and-...ty-402639df1038

In a study of all players drafted 2003- 2013, consisting of 330 players, here is how they turned out:

All-star/ All NBA - 2.4%
Quality player - 7.0%
Played at least 3 yrs - 16.7%
Played less than 3 yrs - 47.9%
NEVER played in NBA - 26.1%

A quality player is defined as anyone who played enough minutes to qualify for the leader boards and who ever had one season of Win Shares at .130 or higher.

Now last year, 73 NBA players who played at least 1,000 minutes had a WS/48 at that level or above.

Only 37 active players have a career WS/48 at that level.

There are 24 all-stars each year in the NBA. So think of it as good enough to be in the third set of all stars.

It does appear that you need to be in the top half of the 2nd round to get lucky.

So if we use all four, we should get:

0.10 all stars
0.27 quality players
0.67 players who play 3 or more years
1.92 players who play less than 3 yrs
1.04 players who never play in the NBA.
4.00 2nd round picks.

Look at it another way, if we have four 2nd round picks per year for 3 yrs, we should land one player who will be quality or better.

You excited yet?

I think I wasted some valuable time the other day fine tuning my NBA 2nd round draft board!

When does Eagles training camp begin?

D Rock
Now you see why I likened 2nd round picks to useless carnival trinkets.

laugh.gif
Joegrane
So according to the percentages, since the Sixers already have Covington (2nd round), McConnell (UDFA) making contributions, they should not expect to get any value from the four second rounders this year.

DRock, what do you expect to happen with the 2nd round picks?

QUOTE (D Rock @ Jun 20 2017, 05:59 PM) *
I would be shocked if we drafted 5 players.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 20 2017, 08:55 PM) *
Upon further review, 2nd round picks are less valuable than I thought.

https://the-cauldron.com/the-2nd-round-and-...ty-402639df1038

In a study of all players drafted 2003- 2013, consisting of 330 players, here is how they turned out:

All-star/ All NBA - 2.4%
Quality player - 7.0%
Played at least 3 yrs - 16.7%
Played less than 3 yrs - 47.9%
NEVER played in NBA - 26.1%
D Rock
Covington benefited from the tank more than any single individual. It afforded him the time to develop. I keep going back to roster size. Just 12 guys. Few teams would have kept him around to go through the process (if you'll excuse the pun) of growing into a legitimate NBA player. That he was paired with Brett Brown was a massive stroke of luck for him. All of this applies to McConnel too.

Anecdotally, you can find the handful of exceptions that prove the rule. But the rule is for every RoCo, TJ, or Draymond . . . there are HUNDREDS that never saw an NBA court. I'm hopeful that the G League will give more players a chance to develop and earn a living at the same time. I heard today, that 44% of active NBA players have spent time in the D league (rebranded today as the G-League through a partnership with Gatorade). This is a place where you can get bottom of the roster guys some court time. Nobody gets better at basketball by sitting on the bench. I remember an interview with Brown where he was asked why TJ was on the 12 man roster. He spoke for 3 minutes about how they kept sending him down to the D-League and he would consistently destroy it. With Baylis hurt, once Sergio went down, he got a shot at real court time. He's a legit back-up point guard now.

I have no idea what they'll do with those 4 second rounders. But, I'm sure they wont draft 4 players with them. I would suspect they bring in one player they really like. Maybe package them to move up. Or trade them for future considerations. Likely a draft-n-stash in there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.