Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A quick look at the first three years of a few WRs ...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
First are the stats for the players first three years combined, followed by what he did in his third year.
Roddy White - 59 receptions, 952 yards, 3 touchdowns. Then in year three he put up 83 receptions, 1202 yards and 6 touchdowns.

Demaryius Thomas - 54 receptions, 834 yards, 6 touchdowns. Then in year three he put up 94 receptions, 1434 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Eric Decker - 50 receptions, 718 yards, 9 touchdowns. Then in year three he put up 85 receptions, 1064 yards and 13 touchdowns.

Davante Adams - 88 receptions, 929 yards, 2 touchdowns. Then in year three he put up 75 receptions, 997 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Golden Tate - 56 receptions, 609 yards and 3 touchdowns, then in year 3 he put up 45 receptions, 688 yards and 7 touchdowns.

Note - Not every player has as dramatic an increase in year three. Players like Jordy Nelson and Vincent Jackson showed a slight improvement in year 3 and then exploded in year 4.
Linc ...

I can hear the chants from the Linc ... "Agholor Sucks!" This says maybe, maybe not.
Rick
QUOTE (Zero @ May 28 2017, 07:42 AM) *
First are the stats for the players first three years combined, followed by what he did in his third year.
Linc ...

I can hear the chants from the Linc ... "Agholor Sucks!" This says maybe, maybe not.

What would be better is if you had what a WR who has these kinds of numbers, typically, does. Easy to cherry pick successful players who started out slowly. Let's see what a WR who has performed like this has done in their career. I have no idea.
nephillymike
I saw something like this the other day.

I agree with Rick, My gut tells me that every success with poor first years brings about six times as many failures.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 28 2017, 09:20 AM) *
I saw something like this the other day.

I agree with Rick, My gut tells me that every success with poor first years brings about six times as many failures.

No doubt, but circumstances play a big role too, like talented, early pick QBs. I'm not saying he will have a turn-around, but he has talent, he was very good in college, he seems to be a good kid who works hard and he has coaches who appear to be patient and Groh sounds like a good coach. I'm not discounting the possibility of him stepping up but I'm not counting on it either.
Joegrane
There are too many other WRs around for NA to have a break out year this year. Hopefully we'll see enough this year that we are confident he can be a solid slot receiver who will get some reps as a #2 on the outside. I don't expect any more from him.

I'm concerned that he'll never have a strong enough mental state or attitude to be successful in the NFL.

I bet that Alshon signs long term at the end of the year and Matthews moves on in free agency. NA becomes the slot WR unless he blows up and takes T Smith's spot.

I don't see coach Fips giving up M Hollins' potential impact on special teams. Will NA even be active most weeks? If he isn't, will he be strong enough mentally to handle the situation and continue to grow in practice?

Don't forget that NA and Matthews are Chip guys.

It is interesting that there was no mention of S Gibson's reps in this article on WR Coach M Groh. Maybe he is seen as a long-term developmental WR. I recall reading that some thought Gibson should have stayed in college another year.
http://www.sportstalkphilly.com/2017/05/ea...-mike-groh.html

QUOTE (Zero @ May 28 2017, 08:38 AM) *
No doubt, but circumstances play a big role too, like talented, early pick QBs. I'm not saying he will have a turn-around, but he has talent, he was very good in college, he seems to be a good kid who works hard and he has coaches who appear to be patient and Groh sounds like a good coach. I'm not discounting the possibility of him stepping up but I'm not counting on it either.
The Franchise
It's a tad disingenuous to compare those guys to Agholor. I think he'll do better this year because the defense only has 11 players, so after you cover Jeffery, Smith, Ertz, maybe Matthews, while keeping an eye on Sproles/Blount, he might get some good looks. Provided he holds on to the ball of course.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 28 2017, 09:14 AM) *
There are too many other WRs around for NA to have a break out year this year. Hopefully we'll see enough this year that we are confident he can be a solid slot receiver who will get some reps as a #2 on the outside. I don't expect any more from him.

I'm concerned that he'll never have a strong enough mental state or attitude to be successful in the NFL.

I bet that Alshon signs long term at the end of the year and Matthews moves on in free agency. NA becomes the slot WR unless he blows up and takes T Smith's spot.

I don't see coach Fips giving up M Hollins' potential impact on special teams. Will NA even be active most weeks? If he isn't, will he be strong enough mentally to handle the situation and continue to grow in practice?

Don't forget that NA and Matthews are Chip guys.

It is interesting that there was no mention of S Gibson's reps in this article on WR Coach M Groh. Maybe he is seen as a long-term developmental WR. I recall reading that some thought Gibson should have stayed in college another year.
http://www.sportstalkphilly.com/2017/05/ea...-mike-groh.html

Gibson really struggled in OTAs. Had a lot of bobbles and drops.
samaroo
I expect more of the same from Agholar, because that's all he's shown me. Jimmy Kempski has a good write up about it here.
Zero
QUOTE (The Franchise @ May 28 2017, 01:42 PM) *
It's a tad disingenuous to compare those guys to Agholor. I think he'll do better this year because the defense only has 11 players, so after you cover Jeffery, Smith, Ertz, maybe Matthews, while keeping an eye on Sproles/Blount, he might get some good looks. Provided he holds on to the ball of course.

I don't think the point is to compare him to anyone, only to show that three years of ineptitude doesn't mean a player will never be any good. If he has good success because of those other players, then it could give him the confidence to be the player he was in college. Of course he's in the last year of his contract so some other team will probably benefit, but that's the way it is in Philadelphia. sad.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (samaroo @ May 29 2017, 02:21 AM) *
I expect more of the same from Agholar, because that's all he's shown me. Jimmy Kempski has a good write up about it here.

A timely rebuttal piece from Kempski.

Thanks for sharing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.