Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A move needs to come soon
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Whether you believe:

Over the Cap. 1.2M
SPOTRAC. 1.7M
NFLPA. 2.5M

The Eagles still have not signed Barnett nor are Blount's #s included in any of the cap numbers. One site doesn't have Douglas in there yet.

Also they have quite a few on IR that count.

So in order for these guys to fully participate in the upcoming works, they need to be signed and we have to make cap room to do so.

It should be Mathews, but I'm guessing since that hasn't happened, he must still not be medically cleared. I think cutting him while not cleared cost us over a million more than cutting him after he is cleared.

If he's not cleared, do they jump the gun on Kelce or Kendricks?

I'm amazed that they haven't done anything yet.
HobbEs
I believe June 1st is the date where they can cut players and take a significantly lighter cap hit. Kelce and Kendricks are the most likely casualties. Matthews may take a bit longer due to his health.
D Rock
Can't they reach some kind of injury settlement?

Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 22 2017, 10:08 AM) *
Can't they reach some kind of injury settlement?

They can but that costs them an additional 1.5 million for Matthews which counts against their cap
Eyrie
So it's in Mathews' interests to prolong his rehabilitation and delay reaching a level of fitness which would enable us to limit the cap hit from cutting him?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 22 2017, 02:43 PM) *
So it's in Mathews' interests to prolong his rehabilitation and delay reaching a level of fitness which would enable us to limit the cap hit from cutting him?

Correct though the Eagles' docs are surely monitoring him....both sides know what is coming.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 22 2017, 05:34 PM) *
They can but that costs them an additional 1.5 million for Matthews which counts against their cap

If I were Ryan - I'd offer to take 25 cents on the dollar to reach a settlement. Make it clear to them, you're rehab is not going well. Ultimately, that's better than getting healthy and getting squat $$$.

Tough spot.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HobbEs @ May 22 2017, 08:18 AM) *
I believe June 1st is the date where they can cut players and take a significantly lighter cap hit. Kelce and Kendricks are the most likely casualties. Matthews may take a bit longer due to his health.

It is called June 1st cuts, but a few years back they changed it so that you can designate up to two June 1st cuts, but you could do it earlier in the year, maybe as early as March. So they could have used this already if they wanted to.
nephillymike
According to the NFLPA site, the Eagles cap space just increased from 2.5M to 5.1M.

No detail is provided.

SPOTRAC and OTC show no change.

Something happened today, we just don't know what.

Stay tuned.

https://www.nflpa.com/public-salary-cap-report
D Rock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 23 2017, 01:36 AM) *
According to the NFLPA site, the Eagles cap space just increased from 2.5M to 5.1M.

No detail is provided.

SPOTRAC and OTC show no change.

Something happened today, we just don't know what.

Stay tuned.

https://www.nflpa.com/public-salary-cap-report

Damn....

That's it. We're buying you a fedora that says "Press" on the hat-band. Salantonio can eat a bag of D*@$.

laugh.gif
nephillymike
Here's the answer.

McLeod restructure, kicking the can down the road.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/5/...m-howie-roseman

Still more work to do.
The Franchise
If there's one thing I have complete blind faith in Howie doing, it's balancing the books.
Phits
QUOTE (The Franchise @ May 27 2017, 11:25 PM) *
If there's one thing I have complete blind faith in Howie doing, it's balancing the books.

Yep. Howie knows how to make the cap his bitch.
nephillymike
Well, the good thing is we can now sign all of our rookies.

Focus now on some roster trims and/or trades to tighten up and give us some further flexibility.

If you look in hindsight on what we could do while in "cap hell", you quickly realize that there is no cap hell.
Joegrane
But there are cap limitations. They could not sign a decent veteran CB. They could not sign a RB that really fits the system. The lack of a solid, average CB could easily cost them a playoff spot this year, especially if R Douglass is slow to develop and S Jones does not recover enough to contribute.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 28 2017, 12:19 AM) *
Well, the good thing is we can now sign all of our rookies.

Focus now on some roster trims and/or trades to tighten up and give us some further flexibility.

If you look in hindsight on what we could do while in "cap hell", you quickly realize that there is no cap hell.

Phits
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 28 2017, 10:27 AM) *
But there are cap limitations. They could not sign a decent veteran CB. They could not sign a RB that really fits the system. The lack of a solid, average CB could easily cost them a playoff spot this year, especially if R Douglass is slow to develop and S Jones does not recover enough to contribute.

No single position will cost the Eagles a playoff position. No team can do everything in an offseason so you focus on what is considered a priority. The O was clearly a priority. The mistake a lot of people make is that they think the Eagles are in "win now" mode.
nephillymike
The answer about cutting Mathews while still injured

http://www.phillyvoice.com/mailbag-what-ar...still-injured/B

It seems like it is a $1.15M non reversible cap hit.

Not sure what options they have if he is still injured come training camp. I guess cut ties, take the hit for the 1.15M and any other unamortized signing bonus and save the few million of his salary.

I can't see them IR him and taking the entire hit.

Bears watching.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.