Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So how are we going to divvy up the RB carries?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
We had about 24.5 non QB rushes per game last year. Figure a slight increase in plays, resulting in a few more rushes, so I'll use 26.0 non QB rushes per game.

Last year, Smalls and Sproles had about 6 carries each in the games they played, with the other deep backup RBs combining for about 3.5.

So, here's a stab at the distribution:

Blount. 12
Smalls 6
Sproles 5
Pumphrey 3

Pumphrey has no say, but I don't see how any of the others would be happy with this.

Anyone?
The Franchise
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 21 2017, 10:31 AM) *
We had about 24.5 non QB rushes per game last year.

In the games we lost, we had a horrible balance of pass/run plays, which we should all be used to after the last 18 fucking years.

Blount should be getting 15+ carries per game, and that will free up Sproles and Co. to do all sorts of different things in the backfield. And with actual NFL receivers on the team now, we can *gasp* keep the defense on their heels!

Of course, this is dependent on Pederson's intervention.....
Dreagon
QUOTE (The Franchise @ May 21 2017, 01:45 PM) *
In the games we lost, we had a horrible balance of pass/run plays, which we should all be used to after the last 18 fucking years.

When a team gets in the position of playing from behind, it's not uncommon to see the ratio skew toward passing. I'm not saying that's the case everytime, but that's why you often see such a ratio on games that are losses. The only teams where you see otherwise are the ones mostly built around the run.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Dreagon @ May 21 2017, 02:00 PM) *
When a team gets in the position of playing from behind, it's not uncommon to see the ratio skew toward passing. I'm not saying that's the case everytime, but that's why you often see such a ratio on games that are losses. The only teams where you see otherwise are the ones mostly built around the run.

Yes, thank you for the same horseshit response I've heard from actual Eagles fans for close to two decades. The only game we were ever out of early was against the Bengals, where Wentz was called on for 63 passes, as opposed to 16 runs. The Seahawks game was a debacle too, but what do you expect when you have a rookie QB throwing to shit receivers against that secondary? It's annoying enough having this argument with actual Eagles fans who actually watch the games.
Joegrane
I expect Pumphrey to be inactive most weeks and Smallwood to get roughly the same number of carries as Blount, esp if SW is doing okay with blitz pickup.

I suppose with Blount on the field we'll see them go away from the West Coast in favor of the philosophy of pound the ball or chuck it deep. Blount does not have a rep as a pass catcher.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 21 2017, 09:31 AM) *
We had about 24.5 non QB rushes per game last year. Figure a slight increase in plays, resulting in a few more rushes, so I'll use 26.0 non QB rushes per game.

Last year, Smalls and Sproles had about 6 carries each in the games they played, with the other deep backup RBs combining for about 3.5.

So, here's a stab at the distribution:

Blount. 12
Smalls 6
Sproles 5
Pumphrey 3

Pumphrey has no say, but I don't see how any of the others would be happy with this.

Anyone?
nephillymike
QUOTE (The Franchise @ May 21 2017, 02:34 PM) *
Yes, thank you for the same horseshit response I've heard from actual Eagles fans for close to two decades. The only game we were ever out of early was against the Bengals, where Wentz was called on for 63 passes, as opposed to 16 runs. The Seahawks game was a debacle too, but what do you expect when you have a rookie QB throwing to shit receivers against that secondary? It's annoying enough having this argument with actual Eagles fans who actually watch the games.

Yo man, a little heavy handed, don't you think?
Joegrane
Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 22 2017, 09:30 PM) *
I expect Pumphrey to be inactive most weeks and Smallwood to get roughly the same number of carries as Blount, esp if SW is doing okay with blitz pickup.

I suppose with Blount on the field we'll see them go away from the West Coast in favor of the philosophy of pound the ball or chuck it deep. Blount does not have a rep as a pass catcher.

We'll see how Pumphrey does in TC, but right now I'd be surprised if he were inactive. He's not too small for ST, he can run and may be a better receiver than Sproles. The only thing that kept him from being drafted earlier is his size and we're about to see how that works in the NFL. Ulp.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.