Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why I think the defense will be better
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
This will be Schwartz's second year, he's installed the defense and the players have a feel for their responsibilities and the coaches. But more important is that the team is trying to acquire players to make the scheme work. In contrast, it always seemed that Reid was getting good players who didn't fit his systems yet wouldn't change the system.

Attention to the DL is big. Barnett and Jernigan are the important additions. I liked Bennie but Jernigan should put a lot more pressure on the QB. There's been some chatter that Curry was hurt much of last season, if he can be the guy that got the contract, Graham continues, Long contributes and McCalister emerges, the pass rush could be scary good ...

... and make the secondary better. There's also been people telling us not to overlook Mills. His biggest issue is his speed and that's not as important if the QB is forced to throw early. Grymes was seen as good pickup from Canada last year, he had a good preseason and then was hurt all year. The secondary may be significantly better than we give them credit for and it'll be interesting to see how they do in camp.

Here's a question: will Schwartz adjust his defense to his talent? Not change, modify. We all thought Kendricks was a goner, but what if there's a bit more blitzing than before? If they couldn't trade him maybe they do the smart thing and try to use his strengths instead of Reiding him.

Those who think the Eagles are a 9-7 team are underestimating their change in personnel management. The moves they've made have not been just to add talent, but to add specific players who fit what the team is doing. It's not about big names, but about fit ... on all three teams.

Call me OptiMystic, we'll see in December.
Pila
QUOTE (Zero @ May 17 2017, 11:55 AM) *
This will be Schwartz's second year, he's installed the defense and the players have a feel for their responsibilities and the coaches. But more important is that the team is trying to acquire players to make the scheme work. In contrast, it always seemed that Reid was getting good players who didn't fit his systems yet wouldn't change the system.

Attention to the DL is big. Barnett and Jernigan are the important additions. I liked Bennie but Jernigan should put a lot more pressure on the QB. There's been some chatter that Curry was hurt much of last season, if he can be the guy that got the contract, Graham continues, Long contributes and McCalister emerges, the pass rush could be scary good ...

... and make the secondary better. There's also been people telling us not to overlook Mills. His biggest issue is his speed and that's not as important if the QB is forced to throw early. Grymes was seen as good pickup from Canada last year, he had a good preseason and then was hurt all year. The secondary may be significantly better than we give them credit for and it'll be interesting to see how they do in camp.

Here's a question: will Schwartz adjust his defense to his talent? Not change, modify. We all thought Kendricks was a goner, but what if there's a bit more blitzing than before? If they couldn't trade him maybe they do the smart thing and try to use his strengths instead of Reiding him.

Those who think the Eagles are a 9-7 team are underestimating their change in personnel management. The moves they've made have not been just to add talent, but to add specific players who fit what the team is doing. It's not about big names, but about fit ... on all three teams.

Call me OptiMystic, we'll see in December.

I agree completely. Outside of unforeseen injury to someone critical, this is a playoff team. Not there yet beyond 1 or 2 games post season play, but enough to make it exciting.

Since you've taken OptiMystic, you can call me Optimista. We can be brothers in our delusional stupor. Foreva, yo! wub.gif
Zero
QUOTE (Pila @ May 17 2017, 11:27 AM) *
I agree completely. Outside of unforeseen injury to someone critical, this is a playoff team. Not there yet beyond 1 or 2 games post season play, but enough to make it exciting.

Since you've taken OptiMystic, you can call me Optimista. We can be brothers in our delusional stupor. Foreva, yo! wub.gif

Long live King Agholor!
nephillymike
I think it will be better. But Mills was one of the worst CB last year, I think he finished up bottom 2 in PFF so he needs to improve significantly.

We'll see if Schwartz can mix it up. Old dogs, new tricks?

I think Curry and Barnett and Jernigan will make the DL better, to help make up for weak CB. However, I think both Grymes and Smith could surprise.

Our problem was not the D, it was the O.

If the O improves to average, the D could stay average and we'd be a playoff team with our best STs.

Still say 9-7, but it should be interesting.
Pila
QUOTE (Zero @ May 18 2017, 12:37 AM) *
Long live King Agholor!

wub.gif
Joegrane
You don't think the offense will be above average if major contributors stay healthy? I'm not suggesting that they will be elite, but I like the pieces they have put together--except at feature RB. I wanted Matthews' combination of speed and physicality for the Red Zone, but at least they have their guy for tough short yardage situations.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 17 2017, 06:59 PM) *
I think it will be better. But Mills was one of the worst CB last year, I think he finished up bottom 2 in PFF so he needs to improve significantly.

We'll see if Schwartz can mix it up. Old dogs, new tricks?

I think Curry and Barnett and Jernigan will make the DL better, to help make up for weak CB. However, I think both Grymes and Smith could surprise.

Our problem was not the D, it was the O.

If the O improves to average, the D could stay average and we'd be a playoff team with our best STs.

Still say 9-7, but it should be interesting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.