Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why I think Matthews gets traded
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I like Jordan Matthews, but I don't think we'll be watching him as an Eagle this year because:
  1. He's good, not great and will want big bucks
  2. The Eagles have size on the outside and probably want smaller, quicker, shiftier in the slot
  3. They drafted that small, quick, shiftier receiver in Gibson
  4. They're trying Marshall in the slot
  5. King Agholor may work in the slot
  6. They signed Ward to try at receiver ... slot?
  7. Matthews has value and could yield a decent pick or RB
When does TC start? sad.gif
Joegrane
I agree, those are good reasons. You could add one more. He was a Chip pick.

Before they drafted two WRs I assumed Matthews would be on the team as insurance in the event Alshon J gets a better offer and or T Smith does not work out.

However, now that they have WR depth and a really tight cap situation they could trade him for a pick asap.

QUOTE (Zero @ May 16 2017, 07:37 AM) *
I like Jordan Matthews, but I don't think we'll be watching him as an Eagle this year because:
  1. He's good, not great and will want big bucks
  2. The Eagles have size on the outside and probably want smaller, quicker, shiftier in the slot
  3. They drafted that small, quick, shiftier receiver in Gibson
  4. They're trying Marshall in the slot
  5. King Agholor may work in the slot
  6. They signed Ward to try at receiver ... slot?
  7. Matthews has value and could yield a decent pick or RB
When does TC start? sad.gif

Pila
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 16 2017, 01:40 PM) *
I agree, those are good reasons. You could add one more. He was a Chip pick.

Before they drafted two WRs I assumed Matthews would be on the team as insurance in the event Alshon J gets a better offer and or T Smith does not work out.

However, now that they have WR depth and a really tight cap situation they could trade him for a pick asap.

I wouldn't do it. With the help now on the outside, Matthews is going to be a first down machine. Think Avant squared.

He's going to be phenomenal. Not Agholor spectacular, but close!
D Rock
QUOTE (Pila @ May 16 2017, 03:03 PM) *
I wouldn't do it. With the help now on the outside, Matthews is going to be a first down machine. Think Avant squared.

He's going to be phenomenal. Not Agholor spectacular, but close!

Not with those cinder blocks he calls "hands."
Pila
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 16 2017, 03:49 PM) *
Not with those cinder blocks he calls "hands."

He doesn't have natural hands, no. But he does work extremely hard. Even with the occasional drop, he'll be a very productive player, especially strictly in the slot.

Not Agholor productive... But you know.
D Rock
QUOTE (Pila @ May 16 2017, 03:55 PM) *
He doesn't have natural hands, no. But he does work extremely hard. Even with the occasional drop, he'll be a very productive player, especially strictly in the slot.

Not Agholor productive... But you know.

The league stat generators are too friendly to WRs when it comes to "awarding" drops. To my eye, Jordan has the worst hands in the league. By my count, he led the league in drops last year. By the official count, he was certainly top 5 (bottom 5?). He double catches, and just seems hell bent on fighting the ball. And as the quasi "leader" of the corps, he's ruined everyone else. His rah rah schtick has worn thin, and both sides would be better off with a fresh start.

Just my opinion....

Pila
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 16 2017, 04:02 PM) *
The league stat generators are too friendly to WRs when it comes to "awarding" drops. To my eye, Jordan has the worst hands in the league. By my count, he led the league in drops last year. By the official count, he was certainly top 5 (bottom 5?). He double catches, and just seems hell bent on fighting the ball. And as the quasi "leader" of the corps, he's ruined everyone else. His rah rah schtick has worn thin, and both sides would be better off with a fresh start.

Just my opinion....

He also jumps unnecessarily just before the ball gets there. His hands are definitely his weakness. But it isn't enough of a weakness to prevent him from being incredibly productive in the slot. I think he's going to have a monster year with catches for first downs. That's is if they don't trade him.
Joegrane
Jason Avant definitely had better hands. Matthews has better straight line speed.

QUOTE (Pila @ May 16 2017, 10:03 AM) *

Pila
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 16 2017, 09:11 PM) *
Jason Avant definitely had better hands. Matthews has better straight line speed.

Matthews is superior in every sense, except hands. I concede there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.