Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why I'm OptiMystic
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
1. Joe Douglas. We haven't seen proof that he is the personnel evaluator we've needed for a decade or more, but the structure and plan that he brings to that side of the organization can't be overlooked: Define the team's personality and find players who fit it. Square pegs are not considered, regardless of talent. This trickles down with the other four reasons.
2. Alshon Jeffery. The big difference between Dak and Carson was the surrounding cast, not the talent. Giving Wentz a reliable target will make a huge difference in the sophomore's success and open up possibilities for the rest of the offense.
3. OL. This is Part B to Jeffery/Wentz because it not only should give Wentz more time and confidence, but it will extend to Smallwood and the running game and TOP.
4. DL. One of the weakest positions on the team was CB and they've addressed that, but the scheme starts with pressure from four guys and adding Jernigan, Barnett and Long should heat things up for the QB.
5. ST. One of, if not THE best ST unit in the league hasn't been ignored, it's looks to have been improved.
Pila
QUOTE (Zero @ May 12 2017, 11:04 AM) *
1. Joe Douglas. We haven't seen proof that he is the personnel evaluator we've needed for a decade or more, but the structure and plan that he brings to that side of the organization can't be overlooked: Define the team's personality and find players who fit it. Square pegs are not considered, regardless of talent. This trickles down with the other four reasons.
2. Alshon Jeffery. The big difference between Dak and Carson was the surrounding cast, not the talent. Giving Wentz a reliable target will make a huge difference in the sophomore's success and open up possibilities for the rest of the offense.
3. OL. This is Part B to Jeffery/Wentz because it not only should give Wentz more time and confidence, but it will extend to Smallwood and the running game and TOP.
4. DL. One of the weakest positions on the team was CB and they've addressed that, but the scheme starts with pressure from four guys and adding Jernigan, Barnett and Long should heat things up for the QB.
5. ST. One of, if not THE best ST unit in the league hasn't been ignored, it's looks to have been improved.

Secondary improvement seems a bit away, and entirely too dependent on a 2nd year player. Improvements on the DL might help a little, but the weakness cannot be hidden for significant stretches. Our offense will have to be much better and score more than they did last year. I think they will, but might not be enough in the playoffs.
Phits
QUOTE (Pila @ May 12 2017, 11:02 AM) *
Secondary improvement seems a bit away, and entirely too dependent on a 2nd year player. Improvements on the DL might help a little, but the weakness cannot be hidden for significant stretches. Our offense will have to be much better and score more than they did last year. I think they will, but might not be enough in the playoffs.

I think Joe has it right with regards to the D-Line. The game is won/lost in the trenches. Improved pressure and production from the D-Line will ultimately make the secondary appear more competent.
Pila
QUOTE (Phits @ May 12 2017, 04:51 PM) *
I think Joe has it right with regards to the D-Line. The game is won/lost in the trenches. Improved pressure and production from the D-Line will ultimately make the secondary appear more competent.

An efficient pass rush will help, but there are good teams that can handle that often enough to exploit the weaknesses on the back-end.
Joegrane
I agree with Pila almost entirely.

The back end of the D should be solid in the middle of the field. You have Hicks and the two Safeties who should be solid. They should be better in the slot if Brooks is back healthy.

Eventually I think Mills might be better in the slot than outside. If Brooks can't play, maybe Mills starts on the outside but comes inside in nickel situations and the rookie R Douglass gets an outside CB spot.

If Curry and the D Line does not cause havoc in the backfield those outside CBs are going to give up big plays.

Fortunately this year Alshon and company should be able to make more of them for the Eagles.

While they should be competitive and interesting this year, I also don't think this will be enough in the playoffs.

QUOTE (Pila @ May 12 2017, 10:02 AM) *

Pila
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 12 2017, 05:47 PM) *
I agree with Pila almost entirely.

The back end of the D should be solid in the middle of the field. You have Hicks and the two Safeties who should be solid. They should be better in the slot if Brooks is back healthy.

Eventually I think Mills might be better in the slot than outside. If Brooks can't play, maybe Mills starts on the outside but comes inside in nickel situations and the rookie R Douglass gets an outside CB spot.

If Curry and the D Line does not cause havoc in the backfield those outside CBs are going to give up big plays.

Fortunately this year Alshon and company should be able to make more of them for the Eagles.

While they should be competitive and interesting this year, I also don't think this will be enough in the playoffs.

Yeah - and we can't account for critical injuries of course. It only takes one to fuck that shit all up.
Joegrane
Well said, the middle of the secondary got screwed up last year after Brooks got injured for the season. Moving M Jenkins from S to slot CB weakened the CB position and removed the best play-maker from his play-making position.

If one of the outside CBs gets injured before Sidney Jones is ready to contribute will create a big hole.

QUOTE (Pila @ May 12 2017, 02:54 PM) *
Yeah - and we can't account for critical injuries of course. It only takes one to fuck that shit all up.

nephillymike
I agree with Jefferey and both lines.

Can't list Douglas yet. I think they had a solid draft and an under the radar strong UDFA signing period.

Pro personnel is a big piece and he's got work to do there. Needs to use some positions of strength to fill in positions of need. I'm disappointed it's May 12th and there seems to be more work to be done than I would've expected.

STs for sure.

I also think our team, behind the numbers, was a lot better than the record showed.

I'm 9-7 Optimystic, not yet 10-6 Optimystic.
Joegrane
Who do you like among the UDFAs?

I agree about 9-7.

I hope Sidney Jones can at least be the equivalent of a 3rd round rookie talent in the second half of the season to help with depth. I can't imagine he'll have the conditioning to be more than a nickel CB, even if he lines up outside. I really hope he gets some PT experience late this year.

Do you know the earliest they can cut R Matthews without penalty?

They need to do something because they are .77$mil under the cap now and are projected to be in bad shape after signing the rookies.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

The latter is surprising because I had expected the rookies to be less expensive than the veterans they replace.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 12 2017, 08:16 PM) *

Can't list Douglas yet. I think they had a solid draft and an under the radar strong UDFA signing period.

Pro personnel is a big piece and he's got work to do there. Needs to use some positions of strength to fill in positions of need. I'm disappointed it's May 12th and there seems to be more work to be done than I would've expected.

STs for sure.

I also think our team, behind the numbers, was a lot better than the record showed.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 12 2017, 09:00 PM) *
Who do you like among the UDFAs?

I agree about 9-7.

I hope Sidney Jones can at least be the equivalent of a 3rd round rookie talent in the second half of the season to help with depth. I can't imagine he'll have the conditioning to be more than a nickel CB, even if he lines up outside. I really hope he gets some PT experience late this year.

Do you know the earliest they can cut R Matthews without penalty?

They need to do something because they are .77$mil under the cap now and are projected to be in bad shape after signing the rookies.

The latter is surprising because I had expected the rookies to be less expensive than the veterans they replace.

I think there is a difference of about 1.5mill cap cost if they cut him before he is medically cleared.

Here's the UDFA post link

http://www.wingheads.com/index.php?showtopic=84557
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 12 2017, 09:16 PM) *

STs for sure.

The thing about Douglas is the plan he's brought to the FO. Defining a team identity teams like the Packers, Steelers, Patriots and Ravens have done to avoid having talented players that didn't fit the schemes if there's a coaching change. That's one of the things that has set this team back, that and solid evaluation. IMO, the Douglas plan (that's historical biggrin.gif ) resolves half of that. This is a 4-3 defense and a WCO. If Pederson is outa here the new guy subscribes to those concepts so there's no rebuilding of talent. I agree it's a wait-and-see on the evaluation of that talent.
Joegrane
I agree about team identity, not just in the area of football schemes, but the personality of the city.

Chip did not seem to understand that.

Zach Ertz is a good player and will likely finally have his breakout year this year, but he is not a "Philly guy."

You don't bring an Ex Cowgirl into Philly.

McNabb was a very good QB and I was very grateful to have him here but his personality was too emotionally sensitive for Philly.

Dawk was the quintessential Philly Guy.

In this draft it seems they tried to pick guys who will fit well in Philly.

QUOTE (Zero @ May 13 2017, 04:54 AM) *
The thing about Douglas is the plan he's brought to the FO. Defining a team identity teams like the Packers, Steelers, Patriots and Ravens have done to avoid having talented players that didn't fit the schemes if there's a coaching change. That's one of the things that has set this team back, that and solid evaluation. IMO, the Douglas plan (that's historical biggrin.gif ) resolves half of that. This is a 4-3 defense and a WCO. If Pederson is outa here the new guy subscribes to those concepts so there's no rebuilding of talent. I agree it's a wait-and-see on the evaluation of that talent.

The Franchise
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 13 2017, 09:43 AM) *
Zach Ertz is a good player and will likely finally have his breakout year this year, but he is not a "Philly guy."

I said that going into the 2015 season. Face it, he's an average TE who shows enough flashes of greatness to where you feel he underachieves. He could have a great year though, because of Jeffery and Smith being on the field with him.
Joegrane
Indeed but most teams have at least one above average WR. He has not had that in the past two years.

We could also add Sproles and and an above average O Line that will provide a credible running game.

Since CW already trusts Ertz and so many others are new I expect Ertz to be a favorite target.

QUOTE (The Franchise @ May 13 2017, 12:43 PM) *
I said that going into the 2015 season. Face it, he's an average TE who shows enough flashes of greatness to where you feel he underachieves. He could have a great year though, because of Jeffery and Smith being on the field with him.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 13 2017, 02:08 AM) *
I think there is a difference of about 1.5mill cap cost if they cut him before he is medically cleared.

Here's the UDFA post link

http://www.wingheads.com/index.php?showtopic=84557

You are correct sir.....
nephillymike
You know about Mathews.

I know the forgone conclusion is that he is gone.

What if we cut him, and got cap relief.

He wouldn't likely get many suitors.

Given that, what if we signed him afterwards to an incentive laden deal for one year, maybe maxing out at 3million .

Anyone interested in that?

If he plays as much as last year, he gets maybe two times the minimum, roughly a million.

If he plays well for The Enitire year, he gets the 3 million.

Anyone interested?

When healthy, he's the best we got. If not, it cost us a million.
Zero
Only if all other options fail. I like Mathews when he's healthy and holding onto the ball. Not so much when he's limping and flailing for the ball.
Pila
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 14 2017, 12:48 AM) *
You know about Mathews.

Given that, what if we signed him afterwards to an incentive laden deal for one year, maybe maxing out at 3million .

If he plays as much as last year, he gets maybe two times the minimum, roughly a million.

Anyone interested?

I think he'll agree to an adjusted agreement. If so, why even go through that exercise?
Joegrane
It seems you are suggesting a contract like former KC Chief's J. Charles got for this year. I've previously said I'm for it, but according to this cap site, they don't have the $ for it.

Supposedly they are just .77$mil under the cap now and are projected to be in bad shape after signing the rookies.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 13 2017, 06:48 PM) *
You know about Mathews.

Anyone interested?

Zero
Eagles cap space:
NFLPA: $2,552,188
Spotrac: $-17,332,618
OverTheCap: $1,255,994

Not sure about Spotrac being so far off the other two and I'd guess it's flat out wrong. My understanding is that every contract has to be approved by the league and teams aren't allowed to exceed the cap. This may be one reason why Barnett isn't signed yet and all other rookies are. We should be seeing news of restructuring or cuts soon. Graham?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ May 14 2017, 05:47 AM) *
Eagles cap space:
NFLPA: $2,552,188
Spotrac: $-17,332,618
OverTheCap: $1,255,994

Not sure about Spotrac being so far off the other two and I'd guess it's flat out wrong. My understanding is that every contract has to be approved by the league and teams aren't allowed to exceed the cap. This may be one reason why Barnett isn't signed yet and all other rookies are. We should be seeing news of restructuring or cuts soon. Graham?

Hey Z, look at the shaded column or the one to its right. Those are the columns. Truth be told, it will be the second from the far right, adjusted for the eight players who are no longer top 51 after the rookie draft pick contracts are added.

Joegrane
Are you surprised at the difference btw the third column from the right and the 2nd?

How will the contracts of the rookies be so much more than the contracts of the veteran players they replace?

For example

The combined cap hits of WR Hollins and Gibson will be less than the cap savings of cutting DGB.

The cap hit of DE Barnett will probably not be more than the 1.5mil savings of cutting M Smith.

On the negative side, cap hits of CBs R Douglas and S Jones will probably be higher than the guys they replace.

In the end it is hard to imagine that the rookies are going to be 5 mil$ more expensive than the veterans they replace.

The cap hit is a numbers game Howie will keep cap hits small this year and increase the cap hit for next year when they should be in better shape--hopefully

QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 14 2017, 07:29 AM) *
Hey Z, look at the shaded column or the one to its right. Those are the columns. Truth be told, it will be the second from the far right, adjusted for the eight players who are no longer top 51 after the rookie draft pick contracts are added.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 14 2017, 10:16 AM) *
Are you surprised at the difference btw the third column from the right and the 2nd?

How will the contracts of the rookies be so much more than the contracts of the veteran players they replace?

For example

The combined cap hits of WR Hollins and Gibson will be less than the cap savings of cutting DGB.

The cap hit of DE Barnett will probably not be more than the 1.5mil savings of cutting M Smith.

On the negative side, cap hits of CBs R Douglas and S Jones will probably be higher than the guys they replace.

In the end it is hard to imagine that the rookies are going to be 5 mil$ more expensive than the veterans they replace.

The cap hit is a numbers game Howie will keep cap hits small this year and increase the cap hit for next year when they should be in better shape--hopefully

I think it is misrepresented on this table.

You can get rookie pool estimates by team in various places. OTC has one. Anyway, when you take those allocations, they are gross amounts. Need to deduct the 8 lowest cap hits among the current "top 51" cap hits on the Eagles cap detail to get the net cost. You can roughly estimate 500K x 8= 4.0 million as the deduction amount to take from the gross rookie cap pool. You can add up cap slots 44-51 to get the actual amount to deduct from the gross.

https://overthecap.com/draft/

This had the Eagles gross rookie cap at 6.8M going into the draft. There were some trades that had a small effect. Figure 6.8-4.0M, or 2.8M as a good estimate for net cap needed to sign rooks.

BTW, who the heck is D. Williams and why is his salary included on our IR list, per OTC?
nephillymike
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheTeddyBailey/s...464721606934529

Marcus Oliver, ILB, Indiana.

Was one of our better UDFA signees, but he isn't on the rookie camp roster.

Anyone heard of what happened?
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 15 2017, 03:53 AM) *
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheTeddyBailey/s...464721606934529

Marcus Oliver, ILB, Indiana.

Was one of our better UDFA signees, but he isn't on the rookie camp roster.

Anyone heard of what happened?

The Philadelphia Eagles officially placed rookie LB Marcus Oliver on waivers Wednesday.

It’s worth mentioning that the Eagles partially guaranteed Oliver’s contract when they signed him to a contract a few weeks ago.

Oliver, 22, wound up signing on with the Eagles as an undrafted free agent out of Indiana following this year’s NFL Draft.
Here ...
Pila
QUOTE (Zero @ May 15 2017, 10:35 AM) *
Here ...

By Guaranteed Money - how much are they actually talking about?
Zero
QUOTE (Pila @ May 15 2017, 02:54 PM) *
By Guaranteed Money - how much are they actually talking about?

I think they gave him a Wawa gift card.
Pila
QUOTE (Zero @ May 15 2017, 08:52 PM) *
I think they gave him a Wawa gift card.

Remind me what Wawa is... ?
Zero
QUOTE (Pila @ May 15 2017, 04:58 PM) *
Remind me what Wawa is... ?

Wawa is a convenience store chain from Delaware County ... like 7-11 except about a gazillion times better.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ May 15 2017, 05:35 AM) *
Here ...

Thanks Z.

Waived already?

Either he failed a physical, failed a drug test, or got into a fight.

Interestingly, none of Oliver's details are listed, whereas the guaranteed amount hits the cap immediately. I can't imagine it being more than 20K.
Pila
QUOTE (Zero @ May 15 2017, 11:19 PM) *
Wawa is a convenience store chain from Delaware County ... like 7-11 except about a gazillion times better.

Ah, right! Lol.

That's funny!
nephillymike
QUOTE (Pila @ May 15 2017, 06:56 PM) *
Ah, right! Lol.

That's funny!

Oi Pila!

biggrin.gif
Pila
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 16 2017, 01:30 AM) *
Oi Pila!

biggrin.gif

Bwah! Touche!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.