Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running back
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
GroundedBird
We tried to get Cook but couldn't.

Fortunately, according to this article... the good news is that the 2018 class appears to be loaded with good rushing talent.

link

Hopefully we can get to next year without killing Wentz
Zero
They still may sign a vet FA RB for this year.
nephillymike
I would think that R. Mathews is better than anyone out there.

Maybe we keep him?
El Cubano
Of our current backs, I agree that Ryan is the main man. I'm surprised we haven't made a move for Jamaal Charles. He played under coach Peterson and he seems like exactly the type of back that could thrive in our system. Are there still other FA options?
Reality Fan
Jamaal Charles.....come on down....lol
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (GroundedBird @ May 1 2017, 06:34 PM) *
We tried to get Cook but couldn't.

Fortunately, according to this article... the good news is that the 2018 class appears to be loaded with good rushing talent.

link

Hopefully we can get to next year without killing Wentz

I saw the same thing and thought, once Cook was off the board they decided to go with Jones, figuring he will be ready next year when they draft a real #1 back...this year is test our new batch of WRs and figure where we go next year with them and make a serious run in 18 once they add a few more pieces. I didn't expect them to fill every hole this year, and I would rather roll the dice that we could have a shutdown corner for a decade rather than a 'guy' who can make us competitive this year.
chefalan23
Jamaal Charles is meeting with the Broncos tomorrow. That usually means they're signing a deal. Best FA running back left is Blount. I'm no offensive scheming expert, but I don't think he's a good fit for our offense. At this point, I'm assuming we're running with what we got. I think it's going to be another pass happy season for wentz, especially with the new weapons at WR.
Zero
What do we know about Smallwood? Isn't there normally a significant difference with RBs in their second year? I'm guessing he'll be stronger and a better blocker. They may have a decent RB committee already on the team.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ May 2 2017, 11:07 AM) *
What do we know about Smallwood? Isn't there normally a significant difference with RBs in their second year? I'm guessing he'll be stronger and a better blocker. They may have a decent RB committee already on the team.

I though he looked promising last year so it's all down to how big an improvement he can make.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 2 2017, 02:19 PM) *
I though he looked promising last year so it's all down to how big an improvement he can make.

He looked decent. A little too high steppish I think to be upper tier.

However, he was great after the catch in college and we haven't showcased that yet.

We shall see.

all things equal, I'd keep Mathews if healthy.

GroundedBird
Just saw that Jonathan Stewart is a candidate for a June 1st cut. (link)

maybe now that Carolina got McCaffrey, they don't need a high priced RB
Dreagon
LeGarrette Blount is still out there. He ran for 1,161 yards and 18 touchdowns last year.
Joegrane
I expect Smallwood to be one of the biggest beneficiaries of the acquisition of WR talent this offseason. If you are a D Coordinator, are you going to worry about Smallwood or the Eagles receivers?

Last year D Coordinators often chose to let Wentz try to beat them rather than Matthews, Sproles and the Eagles O Line. This year they won't be facing a rookie QB.

The combination of those factors and the improved depth in the O Line should provide more opportunities for Smallwood. I don't expect him to be flashy, just hit the hole quickly take what the O Line gives him on inside runs. He'll use his speed and setup his blockers well on the outside runs. Hopefully he has gotten stronger in the off season.

I agree, Mike. I hope they manage to keep Matthews, but for a lesser role and lesser cap hit. I like his combination of speed and power in the Red Zone.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 2 2017, 05:07 PM) *
He looked decent. A little too high steppish I think to be upper tier.

However, he was great after the catch in college and we haven't showcased that yet.

We shall see.

all things equal, I'd keep Mathews if healthy.

QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 2 2017, 02:19 PM) *
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.