Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carson Wentz, The 11 for 1 kid
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
I found this interesting.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/...e-not-done-yet/
Zero
Hahahaha!
So the Browns now have nine players — Corey Coleman, Shon Coleman, DeShone Kizer, Cody Kessler, Derrick Kindred, Spencer Drango, Ricardo Louis, Jordan Payton, Jabrill Peppers — as well as the Texans’ first-round pick next year and the Eagles’ second-round pick next year, all for trading the opportunity to choose Wentz.

That’s an incredible haul. Also incredible is the possibility that Wentz will turn into a franchise quarterback, the Browns won’t find one, and Cleveland fans will be left wishing the Browns hadn’t made that trade.
nephillymike
Do you remember the 5 for 1 kid?

Trivia - Who was that?
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 30 2017, 08:09 PM) *
Do you remember the 5 for 1 kid?

Trivia - Who was that?

Von Hayes?
nephillymike
That is correct!

We played them in Spring Training in his first year 1983 and he batted third (Rose and Morgan were 1-2) and I remember our coach mockingly remarking about the "5 for 1" kid, let's see what he's got.

Next pitch, he hits a lazer home run over the fence and over the palm tree at Jack Russell stadium to give them a 1-0 lead.

He would have had a better career had he faced us instead of major leaguers.

Ended up losing 3-1, and had bases loaded no outs in the top of the 9th only for them to bring in some weird windup closer named Porfi Altemerano (sp), who threw gas from all angles to shut down the bottom of our lineup. If it had been the top of our lineup, I think we at least tie it!!
The Franchise
Hayes was a rock solid starter, just not worthy of the 5-4-1 scandal that would follow him forever.
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 30 2017, 11:08 PM) *

There is certainly an argument for not putting all your eggs in one basket, so it could turn out to have been a good move if, and only if, the Browns are able to get a franchise QB using those picks. An extra pick in both the first and second rounds next year should put them in prime position to target a good QB in round one, assuming of course that there is one.

Pila
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 1 2017, 10:45 AM) *
There is certainly an argument for not putting all your eggs in one basket, so it could turn out to have been a good move if, and only if, the Browns are able to get a franchise QB using those picks. An extra pick in both the first and second rounds next year should put them in prime position to target a good QB in round one, assuming of course that there is one.

One of the things that seldom plays into these comparisons is the element of time.

That's a valuable commodity to us mortals. Suffering through losing seasons robs us of quality living.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Pila @ May 2 2017, 12:10 AM) *
One of the things that seldom plays into these comparisons is the element of time.

That's a valuable commodity to us mortals. Suffering through losing seasons robs us of quality living.

But the opposite is also true. The suffering enhances the quality of winning.

My football team Hibernian had not won the Scottish Cup for 114 years at the start of last season and fans of other teams (most notably city rivals Hearts) loved to rub that in.

In our first game, we beat Raith who had lost to the four previous winners. Could that be an omen? Or were we just clutching at straws?
In the next round, we were 2-0 down with ten minutes to play away to our arch-rivals Hearts, but scored two goals to earn a replay at home which we then won with a goal from a player they had released due to injury.
In the next round, we drew 0-0 with Inverness at home. Four days before the replay, we lost the final of the League Cup (there are two cup competitions) to a last minute goal but rebounded from the disappointment to beat Inverness.
In the semi final our suspended goalkeeper was replaced by an unfit fatty who hadn't played for 18 months due to injury and had only been signed because of the suspension. He turned out to be the man of the match, which finished 0-0 and then the hero as we won the penalty shoot out.
In the final, we scored on 3 minutes only for our opponents to equalise and then take the lead with 25 minutes left. 114 years looked like becoming 115 years, but we equalised with 10 minutes to go and our captain then scored the winner in injury time.

We won the Cup. The Cup that had eluded us for 114 years. The Cup that generations of our fans had never seen us win. And for every Hibs fan that moment of winning it was worth waiting for.

We had had our seasons of suffering. We had each worried that time would run out and we too would join the generations that had never seen us win the Cup.

And I can assure you that the ecstasy of winning it was heightened by all that suffering.

EAGLES CONTENT

We've been waiting since 1960 for our next NFL title. We've been waiting since 1966 for any SuperBowl win and have had only two appearances in fifty years.

I can promise you all this - that wait will make our SuperBowl even sweeter when it does happen.
nephillymike
That's a great story Eyrie.

114 years?

Wow.

Must be an omen. We are due to erase the 57 year drought!
Pila
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 2 2017, 08:10 PM) *
But the opposite is also true. The suffering enhances the quality of winning.

My football team Hibernian had not won the Scottish Cup for 114 years at the start of last season and fans of other teams (most notably city rivals Hearts) loved to rub that in.

In our first game, we beat Raith who had lost to the four previous winners. Could that be an omen? Or were we just clutching at straws?
In the next round, we were 2-0 down with ten minutes to play away to our arch-rivals Hearts, but scored two goals to earn a replay at home which we then won with a goal from a player they had released due to injury.
In the next round, we drew 0-0 with Inverness at home. Four days before the replay, we lost the final of the League Cup (there are two cup competitions) to a last minute goal but rebounded from the disappointment to beat Inverness.
In the semi final our suspended goalkeeper was replaced by an unfit fatty who hadn't played for 18 months due to injury and had only been signed because of the suspension. He turned out to be the man of the match, which finished 0-0 and then the hero as we won the penalty shoot out.
In the final, we scored on 3 minutes only for our opponents to equalise and then take the lead with 25 minutes left. 114 years looked like becoming 115 years, but we equalised with 10 minutes to go and our captain then scored the winner in injury time.

We won the Cup. The Cup that had eluded us for 114 years. The Cup that generations of our fans had never seen us win. And for every Hibs fan that moment of winning it was worth waiting for.

We had had our seasons of suffering. We had each worried that time would run out and we too would join the generations that had never seen us win the Cup.

And I can assure you that the ecstasy of winning it was heightened by all that suffering.

EAGLES CONTENT

We've been waiting since 1960 for our next NFL title. We've been waiting since 1966 for any SuperBowl win and have had only two appearances in fifty years.

I can promise you all this - that wait will make our SuperBowl even sweeter when it does happen.

That's only true if one lives to be 115.

Fans live from game to game. Losing games stay with you. Enough of them and happiness is limited. Winning eases that suffering. We need to win games.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Pila @ May 2 2017, 09:14 PM) *
That's only true if one lives to be 115.

Bwah!

True.

Sad thing is, for an Eagle fan to be old enough to have remembered and enjoyed our last title, they would need to have been born before 1952.

That's a dwindling slither of the population.

Pila
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 3 2017, 03:49 AM) *
Bwah!

True.

Sad thing is, for an Eagle fan to be old enough to have remembered and enjoyed our last title, they would need to have been born before 1952.

That's a dwindling slither of the population.

I think the point I alluded to is that a title is ultimately what one wants, but since there is no guarantee that will ever come within a reasonable fraction of anyone's life, winning games and extending the season are very important to those that invest into the contests on a game-to-game basis.

Cleveland fans may eventually get that, maybe even a title. What I'm saying is for the poor schumucks that have endured losing season after losing season, it may not be soon enough to erase the misery off their palate.

I like when we win games, it makes the rest of the week so much better. So I'm not one willing to give up winning weeks for an unguaranteed title sacrifice of frequent losing. Fuck that shit, I'm no masochist.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Pila @ May 3 2017, 06:05 PM) *
I think the point I alluded to is that a title is ultimately what one wants, but since there is no guarantee that will ever come within a reasonable fraction of anyone's life, winning games and extending the season are very important to those that invest into the contests on a game-to-game basis.

Cleveland fans may eventually get that, maybe even a title. What I'm saying is for the poor schumucks that have endured losing season after losing season, it may not be soon enough to erase the misery off their palate.

I like when we win games, it makes the rest of the week so much better. So I'm not one willing to give up winning weeks for an unguaranteed title sacrifice of frequent losing. Fuck that shit, I'm no masochist.

If winning is all that matters to you, you're following the wrong team and would have bailed and become a Patriots fan, which we both know you couldn't do. But if you ask a Patriots fan what their first SuperBowl win felt like, compared to their most recent. I can guarantee that the first felt far better than any of the others simply because of the suffering endured beforehand.

There are no guarantees in sport which is why we appreciate the wins when we get them. My point remains that you can only truly appreciate the wins when you have losses to contrast them with. Going 3-13 is soul destroying at the time, but each win in 1998 felt so much better as a result compared to going 13-3 with a sense of expectation that we would win each week. In 2004 the regular season wins were almost taken for granted as we looked ahead to yet another playoff appearance and focussed on making through the NFC title game to reach the SuperBowl.

That may be little consolation to a Cleveland fan who can only dream of a winning season right now but they will appreciate it all the more when it finally happens.
Pila
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 3 2017, 08:07 PM) *
If winning is all that matters to you, you're following the wrong team and would have bailed and become a Patriots fan, which we both know you couldn't do. But if you ask a Patriots fan what their first SuperBowl win felt like, compared to their most recent. I can guarantee that the first felt far better than any of the others simply because of the suffering endured beforehand.

There are no guarantees in sport which is why we appreciate the wins when we get them. My point remains that you can only truly appreciate the wins when you have losses to contrast them with. Going 3-13 is soul destroying at the time, but each win in 1998 felt so much better as a result compared to going 13-3 with a sense of expectation that we would win each week. In 2004 the regular season wins were almost taken for granted as we looked ahead to yet another playoff appearance and focussed on making through the NFC title game to reach the SuperBowl.

That may be little consolation to a Cleveland fan who can only dream of a winning season right now but they will appreciate it all the more when it finally happens.

Glory hunters are not real fans.

In sports there is no free will. The club chooses you. And there's nothing you can do about it.

What I'm saying is, i like winning seasons and playoff games that extend the season. The last loss is always devastating, but so is every loss. Life's happiness is ultimately a sum game where the good and great moments outnumber the forgettable ones. At least to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.