Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First stab at the roster
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Eyrie
There will be a couple of undrafted rookies who will make it, but for now my guess is

3 QB - Wentz, Foles, McGloin
We'll add a UDFA for an extra arm in camp.

4 RB - Sproles, Smallwood, Humphrey, Watson
Lacking in size here, and there isn't anyone we'd look to have 20+ carries. Like most I expect Mathews to be cut.

6 WR - Jeffrey, Matthews, Smith, Agholor, Hollins, Gibson
Green-Beckham didn't show enough last year to earn a spot.

3 TE - Ertz, Celek, Burton
Solid group.

9 OL - Peters, Barbe, Kelce, Brooks, Johnson, Vaitai, Seumalo, Warmack, Wizniewski
Can't see many UDFAs wanting to sign with those guys ahead of them. Wentz will be happy though.

5 DE - Graham, Curry, Barnett, Long, McAllister
Predicting the fifth player is difficult but McAllister has more potential than Means or Smith.

5 DT - Cox, Jernigyn, Allen, Qualls, Vaeao.
Need five here because Allen will miss the start of the season.

6 LB - Hicks, Bradham, Kendricks, Goode, Grugier-Hill, Geary
I'm looking at the back ups to play STs, which is why Walker is on the outside.

5 CB - Mills, Robinson, Douglas, Brooks, AN Other, (Jones)
Got to hope that one of Gratz, Grymes and Smith can show enough to fill in whilst Jones gets the year to recover.

4 S - Jenkins, McLeod, Watkins, Maragos
Room here for a UDFA to make a challenge.

3 STs - Dorenbos, Jones, Sturgis
Sproles is the PR and Smallwood the KOR.

Subject to the inevitable caveats about injuries and form, I can see this group going between 9-7 and 11-5. My main concerns are the lack of a power back, reliance on back up rookie WRs and depth at S.
nephillymike
There will be a RB to replace watson. Could be Mathews or a veteran FA or post draft cut.

Walker will definitely make it. My guess is that Gerry will have one of those mystery camp injuries to stash him on IR.

The CB I like is Grymes. He played really well before injury. I think he's the best CB we have. For all the hope for Mills, he was graded one of the worst CB in the NFL.

I'm thinking 9-7.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 30 2017, 05:45 AM) *
There will be a RB to replace watson. Could be Mathews or a veteran FA or post draft cut.

Walker will definitely make it. My guess is that Gerry will have one of those mystery camp injuries to stash him on IR.

The CB I like is Grymes. He played really well before injury. I think he's the best CB we have. For all the hope for Mills, he was graded one of the worst CB in the NFL.

I'm thinking 9-7.

Why are you discounting Watson? I'm not suggesting otherwise, just curious. He could fill the role of short yardage bruiser and if he can block, could he also be a FB in two back sets?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 30 2017, 05:42 AM) *
Why are you discounting Watson? I'm not suggesting otherwise, just curious. He could fill the role of short yardage bruiser and if he can block, could he also be a FB in two back sets?

I'd put him behind Marshall, who didn't make the cut. He's just a guy IMO. Could he be serviceable if thrust into action? Maybe. We didn't use a FB type much.

Do you really go into next season with these RBs?
Joegrane
Thanks for the list. You might add an asterisk next to the names of the players you expect to be deactivated on game day.

we can say we want them to add a big back but they are not likely to keep 5 RBs active on game day.

Are there typically 4 players inactive per game?

I want to hold off on predicting W-L for the year until I know more about the health of S. Jones. I had been assuming they would have a Round 1 CB starting in Game 1.

Joe

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 30 2017, 04:11 AM) *
There will be a couple of undrafted rookies who will make it, but for now my guess is

Lacking in size here, and there isn't anyone we'd look to have 20+ carries. Like most I expect Mathews to be cut.

3 TE - Ertz, Celek, Burton
Solid group.

9 OL - Peters, Barbe, Kelce, Brooks, Johnson, Vaitai, Seumalo, Warmack, Wizniewski
Can't see many UDFAs wanting to sign with those guys ahead of them. Wentz will be happy though.

5 DE - Graham, Curry, Barnett, Long, McAllister
Predicting the fifth player is difficult but McAllister has more potential than Means or Smith.

5 DT - Cox, Jernigyn, Allen, Qualls, Vaeao.
Need five here because Allen will miss the start of the season.

6 LB - Hicks, Bradham, Kendricks, Goode, Grugier-Hill, Geary
I'm looking at the back ups to play STs, which is why Walker is on the outside.

5 CB - Mills, Robinson, Douglas, Brooks, AN Other, (Jones)
Got to hope that one of Gratz, Grymes and Smith can show enough to fill in whilst Jones gets the year to recover.

4 S - Jenkins, McLeod, Watkins, Maragos
Room here for a UDFA to make a challenge.

3 STs - Dorenbos, Jones, Sturgis
Sproles is the PR and Smallwood the KOR.

Subject to the inevitable caveats about injuries and form, I can see this group going between 9-7 and 11-5. My main concerns are the lack of a power back, reliance on back up rookie WRs and depth at S.

Eyrie
I think it's six inactives.

At a guess - McGloin, 1 WR, 2 OL and 1 DL.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 30 2017, 05:11 AM) *

I'd be surprised if they give a roster spot to McGloin, more likely they'll find a younger scrub to try to develop on the practice squad.

Get Matthews the hell out of here yesterday. Last year. I've never liked him, just seeing his picture pisses me off.

Agholor will be on the squad, for the sole reason that he was our first rounder 2 years ago. Apparently the grace period for first round busts is 2 years, as many expect Marcus Smith to finally be cut. I get it. You fucked up your first round picks, and wasted money. But move on, this is a business. A bust is a bust.
Joegrane
After checking on the number of inactives for both SB teams and a few other games last year, it was always 7.

So I'll guess the following for the Eagles this year:

#3 QB, WR Gibson, #4 RB, OL Warmack, 1 DE, 1DT, 1 LB.

Of course you typically have one or two starters or major contributors with minor injuries who will be inactive.

B Allen and S Jones may end up on the PUP list for a half-year or inactive for a while.

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 30 2017, 01:20 PM) *
I think it's six inactives.

At a guess - McGloin, 1 WR, 2 OL and 1 DL.

D Rock
There is no way Joe Walker doesn't make this roster.

Joegrane
Was he injured when the Eagles drafted him (2016 7th round?)?

Why do you like him to make the roster?

I assume he is eligible for the PS.

QUOTE (D Rock @ May 1 2017, 01:48 PM) *
There is no way Joe Walker doesn't make this roster.

D Rock
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 1 2017, 08:45 PM) *
Was he injured when the Eagles drafted him (2016 7th round?)?

Why do you like him to make the roster?

I assume he is eligible for the PS.

I like him to make our roster, because he was by a pretty wide margin, our best LB last camp and pre-season prior to the injury. The guy was a beast. He was pushing for a starting job, before he got hurt.

No way we stash him on the PS. He'll get nabbed by another team.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 30 2017, 09:40 AM) *
I'd put him behind Marshall, who didn't make the cut. He's just a guy IMO. Could he be serviceable if thrust into action? Maybe. We didn't use a FB type much.

Do you really go into next season with these RBs?

We don't know what Smallwood will look like after an offseason of NFL conditioning. He didn't do too badly behind a crippled OL last year. I seriously don't think we should worry at least until after OTAs, probably not until TC and we see how these guys do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.