Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Round 5 S, Nathan Gerry
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Joegrane
After trading down in the 5th the eagles used the additional low 5th rounder to pick a big Safety 6-2 220lbs.

Physically impressive (6-foo-2 and 220 pounds) and has frame to get bigger. Gerry moves well for his size and runs the alley well and can hit. One of his best attributes is reading the quarterback and reacting to the ball. ...

Stout against the run and has the size to enforce the tackle defensively. He has a good feel for the game and shows the knack for being in the right place at the right time.

COMPARES TO: Cody Davis, Los Angeles: Gerry is very comparable to Davis regarding both size and ability. Both are tough as nails safeties with excellent size and awareness on the field. Gerry will need to follow in the footsteps of Davis and excel on special teams to retain a spot on the 53-man roster.
http://stats.csnphilly.com/nfldraft/players.asp?id=225791
nephillymike
FWIW, rankings by source on Gerry, picked at #184, on a trade up, no less:

ESPN 192
Draftek 311
CBS 329
NFL.com 324

Seems like a consensus two round reach.

Maybe he has a special quality to us worth giving up the pick to move up.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 29 2017, 04:31 PM) *
FWIW, rankings by source on Gerry, picked at #184, on a trade up, no less:

ESPN 192
Draftek 311
CBS 329
NFL.com 324

Seems like a consensus two round reach.

Maybe he has a special quality to us worth giving up the pick to move up.

Sounds like a backup with ST skills, I have no issue with this kind of pick in the late rounds.
How he ranks overall really does not play into it at this point, everyone picked late has question marks, so I think you look for players with specific skills you can utilize. I like that they look at ST players in late rounds.
Joegrane
I would not be surprised if it was a D. Fipp selection for STs. Maybe he'll be useful for short yardage and goal line situations.

QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Apr 29 2017, 03:57 PM) *
Sounds like a backup with ST skills, I have no issue with this kind of pick in the late rounds.
How he ranks overall really does not play into it at this point, everyone picked late has question marks, so I think you look for players with specific skills you can utilize. I like that they look at ST players in late rounds.

Eyrie
The Eagles referred to using him as a LB on both Twitter and Pravda. Regardless, anyone picked in round 5 at LB or S will need to contribute on STs.
Eyrie
The Eagles referred to using him as a LB on both Twitter and Pravda. Regardless, anyone picked in round 5 at LB or S will need to contribute on STs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.