Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: McCaffrey at 14...I know we need D help but...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
I know there is a lot of reasons to go D w 1st pick, and there are a good amount of solid RBs in the draft, but looking at McCaffrey's career at Stanford he looks like a perfect fit for our O. Got to say that the way Elliot elevated the Turds last year is part of my reasoning, but practically speaking, a stud RB would be great for Wentz and the O as a whole. This kid put up stellar numbers, made big plays, and is versatile enough to run, catch, and even do punt returns. There is also the possibility that if we pass on him the deadskins may scoop him up at 17, and that would suck. With both new WRs on 1 year deals, bringing in a RB that is guaranteed to be around for a while with Sproles aging and Mathews likely gone before the season, it makes even more sense. What do you guys think?
Eagle2720
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Apr 16 2017, 10:28 AM) *
I know there is a lot of reasons to go D w 1st pick, and there are a good amount of solid RBs in the draft, but looking at McCaffrey's career at Stanford he looks like a perfect fit for our O. Got to say that the way Elliot elevated the Turds last year is part of my reasoning, but practically speaking, a stud RB would be great for Wentz and the O as a whole. This kid put up stellar numbers, made big plays, and is versatile enough to run, catch, and even do punt returns. There is also the possibility that if we pass on him the deadskins may scoop him up at 17, and that would suck. With both new WRs on 1 year deals, bringing in a RB that is guaranteed to be around for a while with Sproles aging and Mathews likely gone before the season, it makes even more sense. What do you guys think?

I would certainly love him. I would much rather take him or Foster, then reach for some borderline 2nd round corner that will most likely be there for our 2nd pick.
Reality Fan
I like the kid but I am hearing that he may not even make it to 14....I think he will be a pretty good player, durability is a little worrisome but it would be sweet to have a little bit of a homecoming for the family.
D Rock
Why is "durability a concern?"

He was a work horse at Stanford. Had dozens of games with over 20 touches, and numerous games with over 30 touches. And did so while rarely getting on the injury report. There is nothing in his playing history to suggest ANY concern re: durability.

So from where exactly do you perceive a "concern" about his "durability?"

Eagle2720
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 16 2017, 11:48 AM) *

He was a work horse at Stanford. Had dozens of games with over 20 touches, and numerous games with over 30 touches. And did so while rarely getting on the injury report. There is nothing in his playing history to suggest ANY concern re: durability.

Not to mention I'm pretty sure the past two seasons he's had over 300 touches.
D Rock
QUOTE (Eagle2720 @ Apr 16 2017, 05:49 PM) *
Not to mention I'm pretty sure the past two seasons he's had over 300 touches.

And averaged 6+ yards per carry.

I love fan fiction (for comedic value), but me thinks RF is scared off by his being guilty of being of white parentage.

laugh.gif

(Before you get all butt-hurt like a crotechety old dick, I'm joking {although just a lil bit})
nephillymike
NFL hasn't had a white RB drafted in the first round in forever (not since at least before 2000 as I went back that far)

There is no affirmative action in the NFL, unlike other places in society, jobs are based on merit.

I'm not a fan of drafting RB in the first round, and being a white guy, I can say I'm more hesitant to pick a white one.

I know it isn't right and ain't fair to the kid, and doesn't mean he can't be the exception.

But, Given the limited career of RB which limits the ROI, I'd stay away, regardless of color.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 16 2017, 02:02 PM) *
NFL hasn't had a white RB drafted in the first round in forever (not since at least before 2000 as I went back that far)

There is no affirmative action in the NFL, unlike other places in society, jobs are based on merit.

I'm not a fan of drafting RB in the first round, and being a white guy, I can say I'm more hesitant to pick a white one.

I know it isn't right and ain't fair to the kid, and doesn't mean he can't be the exception.

But, Given the limited career of RB which limits the ROI, I'd stay away, regardless of color.

Take a look at his film, the guy has amazing ability, can cut on a dime and has god acceleration too. Reminded me of a bigger version of B West, skin color notwithstanding.
Pila
I'm with Mikey, RBs in the first round are generally not great value. However, I admit having a really good white RB on your team is like being the only black guy at my family sardinhadas. Instant cred.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 16 2017, 12:48 PM) *

There are a few things...first, he had a stretch int he middle of the season against teams with avtual winning records where he was banged up and had 3 bad games in a row. Washington, Washington State and Colorado. I watched every game the last 2 years, as I said, I went to high school with his dad so he was a big interest to me. He also had 100 less touched his last year. Part of that is missing his bowl game to avoid...you guessed it....injury...before the draft.

He is a terrific athlete but not large so I worry about how that will translate in the NFL. I would love to see them take him but I think he would need to bulk up to take NFL hits.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 16 2017, 12:51 PM) *
And averaged 6+ yards per carry.

I love fan fiction (for comedic value), but me thinks RF is scared off by his being guilty of being of white parentage.

laugh.gif

(Before you get all butt-hurt like a crotechety old dick, I'm joking {although just a lil bit})

lol...his dad is one of the best athletes I ever played with...scary. I remember playing in a summer league and he was on one side of me and Jon Pinckney and I was amazed that their knees were at my head and I hadn't even left the ground yet...lol...I realized just what a different class of athlete they were. So no....I have no concern about his lineage....just that he had some injuries this year and he is 6' and 200 lbs. and that worries me in the NFL.

Ironically I never realized his dad must be a crotchety old prick too....lol
Joegrane
I also agree with Mike. Also you can get RBs rounds 2 and 3 who are very productive. Shady and BWest are recent examples in Eagles history.

The Eagles are going to score points through the air. If the OTs stay reasonably healthy they'll move the ball adequately on the ground with the RBs they have now plus the addition of a big back for short yardage situations. The question is whether they will be able to stop teams with high powered passing attacks.

I wonder if the Cowboys actually made the correct decision last year. RB was a big need but they also had needs on D. With that very good O Line they might have done better to have added talent to their D Line or secondary in round 1 and picked up a good RB in round 2 or after trading down in Round 1.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 16 2017, 02:02 PM) *

I'm not a fan of drafting RB in the first round, ...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.