Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are they done now?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Heading into the draft the team has addressed almost all of their most glaring weaknesses. Maybe bandaids, maybe shadows, maybe surprises. WR, check. DT, check. CB, um ... check. DE, check. OL, check. QB, check. Much more than I thought they would have accomplished and essentially puts them in BPA territory with no PON qualifiers. And this is different from 2011, we'll find out, but I get a sense these new guys fit.

They still need a CB, RB and LB. There should be a very good one at each spot when their pick comes up.
Depending on how the cap pans out for next year, they may still need WR and DT. BTW, that cap conversation has to include the Peters rumors, and if there's any substance to them it may add perspective to the Jernigan deal. Without Peters' salary they have much more flexibility to extend both Jeffery and Jernigan and eliminate two needs.
Pila
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 5 2017, 12:09 PM) *
Heading into the draft the team has addressed almost all of their most glaring weaknesses. Maybe bandaids, maybe shadows, maybe surprises. WR, check. DT, check. CB, um ... check. DE, check. OL, check. QB, check. Much more than I thought they would have accomplished and essentially puts them in BPA territory with no PON qualifiers. And this is different from 2011, we'll find out, but I get a sense these new guys fit.

They still need a CB, RB and LB. There should be a very good one at each spot when their pick comes up.
Depending on how the cap pans out for next year, they may still need WR and DT. BTW, that cap conversation has to include the Peters rumors, and if there's any substance to them it may add perspective to the Jernigan deal. Without Peters' salary they have much more flexibility to extend both Jeffery and Jernigan and eliminate two needs.

They're prone for draft day trades. I'd be surprised if they go the weekend without a trade.
GroundedBird
Pila, to your point of "Without Peters' salary they have much more flexibility to extend both Jeffery and Jernigan and eliminate two needs."

Peters might be in the same situation as Jeffrey, Smith, etc. in that, if I'm reading this correctly, the Eagles could cut ties with him next year with only $2M in dead cap space.

So maybe it's a make or break year for him too. Maybe if his performance degrades then that money is used to extend the contracts of some of the other players.

spotrac
Pila
QUOTE (GroundedBird @ Apr 5 2017, 04:32 PM) *
Pila, to your point of "Without Peters' salary they have much more flexibility to extend both Jeffery and Jernigan and eliminate two needs."

Peters might be in the same situation as Jeffrey, Smith, etc. in that, if I'm reading this correctly, the Eagles could cut ties with him next year with only $2M in dead cap space.

So maybe it's a make or break year for him too. Maybe if his performance degrades then that money is used to extend the contracts of some of the other players.

spotrac

May have been "Zero" that made that point. But I'll take credit, he seems credible at times.
Zero
QUOTE (Pila @ Apr 5 2017, 11:46 AM) *
May have been "Zero" that made that point. But I'll take credit, he seems credible at times.

laugh.gif now you have zero credibility laugh.gif
The Franchise
With each passing day it's more and more likely we won't be drafting at #14. Howie is likely designing a family circus-esque trade.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 5 2017, 05:31 PM) *

Nice one bowdown.gif
Pila
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 5 2017, 05:31 PM) *

Lateral movement!. I'll take it!
nephillymike
They're not done, if for no other reason than to fuck with RF and "the sky is falling we have no money" crowd! devil03.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 5 2017, 09:20 PM) *
They're not done, if for no other reason than to fuck with RF and "the sky is falling we have no money" crowd! devil03.gif

I like the Jernigan move but it is silly to say that it has done anything to alleviate our cap issues.....he is going to want big money next year.....Peters is really the only move that can help them free up cap space, significant cap space. Next year may be worse than this year unless they really crush this draft. They still have crap at CB and no depth at LB.

Long is nothing to write home about and the WR situation is better but it also begs the same question in a year...what do they do at WR?

This is like watching the government at work.....kick the can down the road and deal with it later....something bad teams do.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 5 2017, 09:29 PM) *
I like the Jernigan move but it is silly to say that it has done anything to alleviate our cap issues.....he is going to want big money next year.....Peters is really the only move that can help them free up cap space, significant cap space. Next year may be worse than this year unless they really crush this draft. They still have crap at CB and no depth at LB.

Long is nothing to write home about and the WR situation is better but it also begs the same question in a year...what do they do at WR?

This is like watching the government at work.....kick the can down the road and deal with it later....something bad teams do.

FWIW,
SPOTRAC 6.6 M
NFLPA 2.1 M
OTC 2.0

All have the Long, Jernigan and Robinson contracts, although SPOTRAC has two of them for a decent amount less.
Joegrane
The more I think about what Howie has been doing this offseason the more I like it especially with the tight budget. Yikes, did I just put "like" in the same sentence as "Howie?"

I think he intends to give the aging veterans--Peters, Celek, Sproles, maybe other O Linemen--one more opportunity to make a run in the playoffs.

The beauty of his plan is that he is not mortgaging the future to do it! He made the WR position one of the strongest groups on the team--for one year. This gives the Eagles one more year to see what N Agholor and DGB can do with less pressure. It also gives them some leverage as they negotiate with J Matthews. Maybe they will let Matthews-- A Chip K guy-- walk so they can get a smaller, quick slot receiver. Maybe they think NA can salvage his career in the slot.

Even with the losses on the D Line, the guys he brought in should fill in just about as well, but at far less $.

It also gives them a year to see how mentally healthy OG Brooks can be.

The remaining holes probably can be filled in the draft, for example:

A starting outside CB in Round 1.

Another CB Round 2-4

A RB in round 2-4. I'm still hoping that R Matthews is healing well and will do what CB, Ron Brooks did--sign a new deal consistent with a player coming back from injury. I'd like Matthews back as the Red Zone, short yardage guy. This would enable the Eagles to use a lower pick on a quick "scat back" to replace Sproles after this year, rather than have to draft a bigger back.

A developmental LB in round 4.

If the two starting OTs stay reasonably healthy, the O Line should be very good. There are plenty of weapons around a smart QB who has the physical tools. They will score points.

We'll see if they can develop into a playoff caliber D.

If they can accomplish the above, I think many will like the Eagles' chances to earn one of the Wild Card spots.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 5 2017, 09:29 PM) *

Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 5 2017, 10:29 PM) *

There have been a lot of good teams that have skated close to the cap. I think the difference here is that those teams were already good and this team is trying to be good. At this point, I won't be surprised if Peters IS traded to Denver and the cap it provides used for in-season extensions. I'm a big Peters fan, but the unpleasant fact is that he's the old man on what is becoming a young team.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 6 2017, 04:43 AM) *
There have been a lot of good teams that have skated close to the cap. I think the difference here is that those teams were already good and this team is trying to be good. At this point, I won't be surprised if Peters IS traded to Denver and the cap it provides used for in-season extensions. I'm a big Peters fan, but the unpleasant fact is that he's the old man on what is becoming a young team.

True about his age but, if Howie has Wentz at the top of his list, then a PB caliber pair of OT is a box that needs to be checked. I don't go to Big V yet. Peters played at a PB level last year, no sense in moving him until Father Time moves him. Maybe next year we move on. Let his play be the deciding factor, not some 3rd round pick with a 20% chance of becoming a significant starter.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 6 2017, 06:28 AM) *
True about his age but, if Howie has Wentz at the top of his list, then a PB caliber pair of OT is a box that needs to be checked. I don't go to Big V yet. Peters played at a PB level last year, no sense in moving him until Father Time moves him. Maybe next year we move on. Let his play be the deciding factor, not some 3rd round pick with a 20% chance of becoming a significant starter.

It's not about the pick, it's about the money and the team's ability to get back to the future. biggrin.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 6 2017, 06:28 AM) *

I am more inclined to get rid of him while I can get something for him and before he falls off the age cliff. That is what good teams do. The other issue I have is babying the guy you gave up so much for. He had his baptism and now it is time for him to show why you paid so much for him. You can;t focus so many assets on trying to overcompensate. He has to carry some of the burden. You have to be able to field a competent unit on both sides of the ball. Maybe you think Patrick Robinson is an answer when he is really just a warm body.

I am not interested in watching Peters play well on a mediocre team, I would rather see evolution. He is not the difference between 6 wins and 10 wins. LJ can replace him.....lets see what the kid can do on the other side.
Zero
It's probable that Robinson will be veteran depth and no more, but not certain. He has talent that has never really shown itself on the field. And, Long may be a surprise performer. We don't know what impact Douglas will have on acquiring players yet, but I'm not writing anyone off until we have some evidence of the new personnel guy's ability.
Joegrane
I assume Robinson will be the starter, the same as I expected McKelvin to start last year. Of course McKelvin and Brooks got injured early in the season causing them to use backups, esp a rookie 7th rounder.

Injuries could happen again this year; however, they'll have a 2nd year 7th rounder who out-performed his draft slot. I bet they'll also have a rookie 2nd or 3rd rounder available as well.

In the end I'm not so sure it will be much better than last year. The advantage will probably be that Jenkins can remain a playmaking S rather than have to play slot CB.

QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 6 2017, 03:46 PM) *
It's probable that Robinson will be veteran depth and no more, but not certain. He has talent that has never really shown itself on the field. And, Long may be a surprise performer. We don't know what impact Douglas will have on acquiring players yet, but I'm not writing anyone off until we have some evidence of the new personnel guy's ability.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 6 2017, 04:46 PM) *

Much like Mckelvin and Brooks have talent that hasn't shown itself. I get why they signed Robinson much like I get why he was available. There are lots of guys who have played for a few years at a level nowhere near what was expected of them and most, almost all, have not played to that level because they are not very good.

Long, Warmack, Robinson et al are available for a reason. We need them to fill holes but I have no illusions as to what they will bring. Maybe Jernigan rebounds and one of the other guys surprises but to expect much from any of them other than Jernigan is a wish and not likely.
GroundedBird
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 6 2017, 05:48 PM) *
Much like Mckelvin and Brooks have talent that hasn't shown itself. I get why they signed Robinson much like I get why he was available. There are lots of guys who have played for a few years at a level nowhere near what was expected of them and most, almost all, have not played to that level because they are not very good.

Long, Warmack, Robinson et al are available for a reason. We need them to fill holes but I have no illusions as to what they will bring. Maybe Jernigan rebounds and one of the other guys surprises but to expect much from any of them other than Jernigan is a wish and not likely.

Regarding Warmack... I have a little bit of hope based on this article

We can only hope that the other areas have similar development plans.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.