Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need you guys to refresh my memory re Pedey
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
As best as any or all of you can remember, tell me what games he cost us. Even if you don't think a mistake cost us a game, if it was a big mistake, list it here.

I don't want to forget big screw ups, but it seems like it is an accepted fact that he cost us a few games and frankly, I don't remember.

Not asking for a defense of him per se, but just a list of screw ups.

Thx.
Pila
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 5 2017, 01:32 AM) *
As best as any or all of you can remember, tell me what games he cost us. Even if you don't think a mistake cost us a game, if it was a big mistake, list it here.

I don't want to forget big screw ups, but it seems like it is an accepted fact that he cost us a few games and frankly, I don't remember.

Not asking for a defense of him per se, but just a list of screw ups.

Thx.

First Puke game. Poor play selection gave pukes time to tie game.

First Giant game, albeit i don't remember the specifics, I he opted to go for a bunch of 4th downs near the goal line where a few FG would have put the game out of reach.

There was the Ravens game where he elected to go for the win with a 2-point conversion rather than take it to OT. But the team was ruled out of the playoffs at that point, so going for the win there made perfect sense.

There was the lions game, but that was Ryan Matthew's fumble during clock killing drive that lost it. I don't remember Pedey fucking that one up.

I think that's about it.
Zero
It's Pila's first two that I remember. Both pissed me off and I remember screaming for his head.
The Franchise
Agreed with the above, he cost us the first Cowboys and Giants games. I mentioned in another thread we really should've lost the 2nd Giants game too, and it would've clearly been his fault.

You could nitpick about the Lions game, but I don't think it's fair to place the loss solely on him.

I had no problem with going for 2 against the Ravens considering the season was over, but if he did that in a meaningful December game and lost there would be riots in the city. And I'm not 100% certain he wouldn't try that.....

Reality Fan
The Lions game was the Wentz inexplicable bomb that was intercepted..(newsflash...he is not that accurate on his deep balls yet contrary to early popular fantasies during TC)...I can't blame Pederson for that decision. He covered for his QB but it was pretty obvious he was clearly in the "WTF are you doing" camp.

I am not sure how you blame Pederson for the first Cowboys loss....wasn't that the Smallwood fumble in the 4th quarter? And 2 fumbled snaps on the next drive? Were those Pederson's fault?

The one that has me scratching my head, is the Giants game.....Wentz throws 2 1st quarter INTs that lead to short field TDs. That was Pederson's fault? I am not saying he did not make a bonehead call but I can't recall what it was and the play log does not indicate anything bizarre.
Pila
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 5 2017, 03:37 AM) *
The Lions game was the Wentz inexplicable bomb that was intercepted..(newsflash...he is not that accurate on his deep balls yet contrary to early popular fantasies during TC)...I can't blame Pederson for that decision. He covered for his QB but it was pretty obvious he was clearly in the "WTF are you doing" camp.

I am not sure how you blame Pederson for the first Cowboys loss....wasn't that the Smallwood fumble in the 4th quarter? And 2 fumbled snaps on the next drive? Were those Pederson's fault?

The one that has me scratching my head, is the Giants game.....Wentz throws 2 1st quarter INTs that lead to short field TDs. That was Pederson's fault? I am not saying he did not make a bonehead call but I can't recall what it was and the play log does not indicate anything bizarre.
He must of done something dumb because i remember being pissed at him, albeit i could be confusing games.
The Franchise
It's pretty much been the consensus here that he cost us 2 games, against hated division rivals. None of us can list off every bad or good thing he's done, but we all certainly aren't making this up.
nephillymike
He is getting killed on sports talk radio these days. Almost every show.

It's odd. It's coming from not only the loud mouths, but the normally more reserved hosts. Even Diddy didn't give him much of an endorsement and says he's on the hot seat.

After listening to the bashing, a caller asks what the players think, and McManus says they like him. Then a bunch of people call and say how everyone likes the easy teacher!

IMO, he had to handle a lot of shit last year and did it pretty well. Was there a play here or there, yes. The one I hear mentioned much is the decision not to kick the 48 ish FG I think it was the DAL game we lost in OT. Nobody considers that the odds of making that kick are about 50%. In the critique, the assume it's a given that they make it.

I'm pulling for the guy if for no other reason than to shut these guys up.
Joegrane
Remember he was brought here to be the anti-Chip in the locker room and to groom CW. So far, so good there.

They provided veteran coordinators in Reich and Schwartz and have now given him plenty of weapons on O. I don't expect this group of coaches and players to really mess up the situation. There are too many quality veterans--Celek, Peters, Sproles, M Jenkins, etc--available to go along with the veteran coaching staff.

All Pedey has to do is not mess it up. I think he will be successful in that. He does not seem to be an egotistical maniac who will ignore the wisdom of the veteran coaches and players around him.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 23 2017, 06:25 AM) *

It's odd. It's coming from not only the loud mouths, but the normally more reserved hosts. Even Diddy didn't give him much of an endorsement and says he's on the hot seat.

After listening to the bashing, a caller asks what the players think, and McManus says they like him. Then a bunch of people call and say how everyone likes the easy teacher!

IMO, he had to handle a lot of shit last year and did it pretty well. Was there a play here or there, yes. The one I hear mentioned much is the decision not to kick the 48 ish FG I think it was the DAL game we lost in OT. Nobody considers that the odds of making that kick are about 50%. In the critique, the assume it's a given that they make it.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jul 23 2017, 12:58 PM) *
Remember he was brought here to be the anti-Chip in the locker room and to groom CW. So far, so good there.

They provided veteran coordinators in Reich and Schwartz and have now given him plenty of weapons on O. I don't expect this group of coaches and players to really mess up the situation. There are too many quality veterans--Celek, Peters, Sproles, M Jenkins, etc--available to go along with the veteran coaching staff.

All Pedey has to do is not mess it up. I think he will be successful in that. He does not seem to be an egotistical maniac who will ignore the wisdom of the veteran coaches and players around him.

I like it.

That will work.
The Franchise

What specifically are they complaining about? Normally this time of year everyone is excited and keeps quiet until there's something to bitch about.

I'm pulling for him because I'm an Eagles fan. But to be frank, I've seen shitty clock management and play calling from this franchise since I was in high school. I saw a lot of red flags last year and a lot of terrible decisions, and I'm not going to be nice or patient about it this year. I'd wager that's what the WIP and Fan crew are bitching about, and it's valid. If he can't get it done, get him the fuck out of here.

nephillymike
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jul 23 2017, 05:06 PM) *
What specifically are they complaining about? Normally this time of year everyone is excited and keeps quiet until there's something to bitch about.

I'm pulling for him because I'm an Eagles fan. But to be frank, I've seen shitty clock management and play calling from this franchise since I was in high school. I saw a lot of red flags last year and a lot of terrible decisions, and I'm not going to be nice or patient about it this year. I'd wager that's what the WIP and Fan crew are bitching about, and it's valid. If he can't get it done, get him the fuck out of here.

They know he wasn't the first choice.

He wasn't the fans top few choices.

They never forgave him for not throwing Reid under the bus for the stupid clock mgt the year before Pedey came here.

The 7-9 record did not overcome the first three.

The unpopular game time decisions that some have mentioned.

Press conferences don't inspire. (As if Andy's did) or Chip's babble.

He gets no credit for walking into the fire with all of the issues he had to handle.

The Franchise
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 23 2017, 06:17 PM) *
He gets no credit for walking into the fire with all of the issues he had to handle.

It's a tough job, being a HC - walking into this situation is better than anything any Browns or Jaguars coaching hire has had to ever deal with.

You're not going to endear yourself to this fan base or the media by costing us games against hated division rivals, while making mistakes that remind us of your mentor.

I think his job is completely safe as he's Howie's puppet, but I'll have no patience for that shit this year. Learn how to call plays and manage the goddam clock. We have the personnel to legitimately contend this year.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jul 23 2017, 08:42 PM) *
It's a tough job, being a HC - walking into this situation is better than anything any Browns or Jaguars coaching hire has had to ever deal with.

Have to disagree....He walked into a dumpster fire of personnel....granted he was given Schwartz and some talent on the roster as any HC hire has but his skill position players were ordinary or worse. and then lost his best lineman. It is entirely fair to point out his foibles but disingenuous to discredit the entirety of his work.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 24 2017, 10:18 AM) *
HIt is entirely fair to point out his foibles but disingenuous to discredit the entirety of his work.

I don't think he walked into a terrible situation - a franchise QB just being drafted, and no expectations at all from the fan base, which bought him time. Most of us thought we would win 5-7 games last year. We ended up a team that could've easily won 10, and part of that is due to his overall body of work. We also ended up winning 7 instead of 9 or 10 directly because of his 'foibles.'

Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jul 24 2017, 04:28 PM) *
I don't think he walked into a terrible situation - a franchise QB just being drafted, and no expectations at all from the fan base, which bought him time. Most of us thought we would win 5-7 games last year. We ended up a team that could've easily won 10, and part of that is due to his overall body of work. We also ended up winning 7 instead of 9 or 10 directly because of his 'foibles.'

A franchise QB just being drafted? Everybody who drafts a QB high thinks he will be a franchise QB....maybe you let him prove it first....did he look the part after the first 3 games? He had no real RB, no WRs to speak of outside of the slot and that guy drops balls by the dozen. A TE who has been about to have a breakout season for 4 years. Add to that his best lineman with a PED 10 week issue? The fact that they were in as many games as they were speaks volumes...as a rookie coach dealing with a rookie QB who missed virtually the entire preseason and all the other issues mentioned as well as several others he did a pretty damn good job. You can hate him because he is a friend of Reid but it doesn't make the point any less foolish.
The Franchise
did he look the part after the first 3 games?

Actually, yes. I don't care to take the time to look up my posts about him last year, but I remember specifically saying he was impressive against the Browns and Bears, but if he performed well against the Steelers I'd be sold. We won that game 34-3, and he looked like a beast.

You can hate him because he is a friend of Reid but it doesn't make the point any less foolish.

If you want a disingenuous and foolish point, this is it. Nobody here has said they hate Pederson, I certainly don't - and hating him because of his relationship with Reid would be far more stupid. I don't believe I'm bitching excessively about him, most on this board seem to share my concerns. He appears to have the same flaws that doomed us in big games with Reid - I hope I'm wrong, and he has a better sophomore year. Now he has the personnel and there will be no excuses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.